Les Paul freaks - your advice please. - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 09:20 PM

Re: Les Paul freaks - your advice please.

Just got myself a LP Custom and its as good as it gets. No flaws, wrong cut nuts paint problems or anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, here it is:

I didn't choose this one just for the top, but as Standards go, it's pretty good.

Which gives me an excuse for a gratuitous couch shot!

post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 12:52 PM

Congrats on the LP bro
post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. It rounds off the collection nicely - until G.A.S. strikes again!

I'm beginning to look at teles ......
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Show off!
I still think the Fixed Bridge Ibanez is the nicest - but then again, I do kinda have a fetish for fixed bridge Ibanez! What model is that anyway? An RG321? I do remember you wanting one a while back.
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Which hard tail
On the left front, RG421 with EMGs, on the right front RG7421 with Dimarzio's of some description.
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 PM

Congrats on the LP man, but i just LOOOVE that PWH
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:29 PM

Congrats, nice collection!

I've got a Les Paul Classic, which is basically a Standard with the 60's neck profile but higer output pickups, my first non Ibanez for years! I want a Standard too so that I can put some Slash sounding pickups in it.
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
Someone should start a company named Gison and make quality Les Pauls for $1500!
They already did... it's called Heritage and they are making better than Gibson quality instruments from an old Gibson factory. http://www.heritageguitar.com/
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Dag

Give a try to new LP's - they're great another time in history- new ones play even better than 30 year old- that's true, it all depends on specific model.
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag
Give a try to new LP's - they're great another time in history- new ones play even better than 30 year old- that's true, it all depends on specific model.

Don't even waste your time, the people that hate Gibson always will no matter what. Anything they play (and even ones they don't) will never be as good as X, Y, or Z. They will just say their $200 Agile knock off is looks better, plays better, and is higher quality and if you disagree you are just a tool who pays for name. Anyway, nice one Algiman.
post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Cheers.
I know what you mean about people sticking with what they know, but I've convinced a few strat players to give the Jem 7V a try and they've been pleasantly surprised! I even converted one fender player to a Jem.
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 04:23 AM

Whoa thats crazy, i have a takamine and off the bat it is way lighter than a les pau, that neck is just heavy
post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 07:32 PM

Les Paul thread on the Jemsite.....Who'da thunk?? Anyway, since I have owned several of each, I might as well weigh in. The biggest thing with LP's is the inconsistency. Many are very good. Plenty are pretty bad. My '74 Deluxe was a pancake body and 3-piece top but was one of the best I ever played(wish I kept it!). Had a '74 custom(both '74's were cherryburst) that the serial was 50 away from the Deluxe and it was also very good(someone had installed a brass Alembic bridge that was great). My '85 was the heaviest LP I ever played(and sounded like total crap with no sustain). Of course it didn't get any better after I put a Kahler in it! Later I had an early '90's burst custom which was okay. In 2001 I was shopping for an amp and grabbed the first thing off the rack with humbuckers and realized(after about 30 minutes) that I couldn't stop playing the guitar(a new 2001 fadeburst standard) so I had to buy it(still own it today). Later on, I was chatting with a pal that was guitar tech for Neal Schon and mentioned I wanted to try some other pickups. He went in his workbox and pulled out a pair of pickups that Neal has in his LP's(yes, they are freaking killer) and I got the nut recut as Gibson did a poor job and its been pretty much perfect for the past 10 years(really worried about who gets in in my will!!!). I got a call from a local store that had what the sales guy(a good friend) called the "nicest Les Paul we've ever had in the store" so I went to check it out. It was an R9('59 spec) and it was very nice, but not better than my fadeburst. In fact, the only LP I ever played that was better was a real 1960 burst(owned by John McBride). That about made me cry.....for several reasons!

I should also drop a warning for those that have lived in a cave for the last few years; there are hundreds of fakes floating around, so beware(some decent youtube vids on things to look for as most are easy to spot once you know what to look for. I actually own a fake too, but its a black custom with a factory trem. Its a fun guitar after replacing the pickups(Seymour Duncan P'Rails), locking nut and bridge(genuine Floyd Rose) and cost me about $700(and I won't have a heart attack if it gets trashed).

Now if only I had kept my 10th Anniversary Jem...............................

Tags
alder bodies , custom shop , custom shop gibson , david mccarroll , fixed bridge , fixed bridge ibanez , fret access , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , gibson les paul standard , grover tuners , guitar shop , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul standard , les pauls , local luthier , mahogany body , maple neck , maple necks , neck binding , neck joint , output pickup , pickup selector switch , pro pickups , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards , straight neck , strap lock , super strat , tobacco sunburst , truss rod , upper fret , upper fret access , warped neck , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode