Les Paul model GAS - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Les Paul model GAS

Hi,

I'd like to add a fixed bridge mahogany guitar model to my RGR570 and JEM 7DBK (both basswoods with Edge trems) for fatter metal rhythms etc. I've always had interest in Les Paul type guitars beside my weakness for RG-models. The "real" stuff Gibson is simply beyond reasonable in pricing, so I was looking around in the 600$ market segment ending up with 3, later on with some extra models as advised in the thread:

Ibanez ART400 (500 in Europe where I live btw) series (http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=ART400)
Epipehone Zakk Wylde Bull's eye or Buzzsaw (mentions "Custom" whatever that means) (http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...CollectionID=6)
ESP LTD EC500 series (http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ec.html)
Agile AL-3000/3100 (http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100mop.html)
Edwards E-LP-92CD (700$) (http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-92CD.html) (and quite jummy with balck hardware but a lot more expensive http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-112CE.html)
Michael Kelly Premium (http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/patriot_premium.html)

I like flatter fret boards like on my RG's (400+mm radius). Had a JS1000 and the strat-fretboard radius of 250mm just doesn't work for me.

Anyone 'd like to elaborate on these models, be my guest.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Silverburst; 11-24-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:18 PM

Re: Les Paul model GAS

how about

used edwards LP
Agile LP
or better michael kelly
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 PM

save about $200 more, go to ishibashi and get an Edwards or find a used Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I'd prefer a Black Les Paul with white biding if possible. The Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP are not my thing,

But Uhm... 2x Edwards adviced. really never heard of it, and for starters the black models look darn good. Appearantly it's a japanse division of ESP or something? Checking if I can find a local shop that has these. Thx.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Agiles are great bang for the buck, and this one has a pretty flat radius:

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100mop.html
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 PM

Edwards LP. You can get one in the style you like here you go. http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping_...=1&page_cnt=48

Look through these pages to get a good idea of whats on offer.

BTW Edwards is ESPs non custom guitar brand. They make strats, LPs, Explorers and all for medium prices. These aren't 100% handmade but are far better than an Epiphone and the like. I would say they are even a bit better than a LTD ESP. But you have to order one from Japan. They aren't available in the States (and possibly Europe) due to leagal battles with Gibson, and other companies.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Found a Mkelly dealer in Belgium, so i'll check them out. However, not entierly fond of their LP body adaptotion, but worth a try.

Edwards and Agile seems to be order and ship only for belgium. Quite a risk if one doesn't get to try a guitar first hand huh... These Agiles are really low priced, are they that good for such a price ? Striking that no one advised Ibanez. Epiphone, I've always had my doubts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
Found a Mkelly dealer in Belgium, so i'll check them out. However, not entierly fond of their LP body adaptotion, but worth a try.

Edwards and Agile seems to be order and ship only for belgium. Quite a risk if one doesn't get to try a guitar first hand huh... These Agiles are really low priced, are they that good for such a price ? Striking that no one advised Ibanez. Epiphone, I've always had my doubts.
Well honestly, I think Ibanez is much better at the superstrat thing, so that's why I didn't push the artist or whatever they are currently calling the wanabee LP model(s). But I do know that an older version of an Artisit is an amazing gutiar. I would recommend an SZ for the kind of thing you're looking into. It's mahogany, twin hum, tunomatic style bridge (actually gibraltar whcih is great) and has a maple top and it's very playable. But the pups are below par compared to what comes stock on many other similar guitars in the price range IMO.

But if you want a guitar that looks like a Les Paul custom and doesn't cost as much as a LP custom, yet retains quite a bit of the sound quality and experience that an LP will give you, then an Edwards LP copy is the best option I think.

I wanted the one that is just like the John Sykes LP a few years ago. It was one awesome machine for the price. I think it was around $700 (¥70000) and played as good as all of my friends' cheaper Gibsons. Sounded great too with the duncan distortion. All Edwards LPs have duncans, however most are JB bridge and 59 neck, and those will do metal. No it's not as good as the high level Gibsons but it'll give a LP classic and a studio a run for their money and then some, while saving you cash.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

I am now an LP guy. no going back
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

okay, cool, thx for all the advise. definitely going to check out the edwards possibilities.

Darin, which les pauls whould that be ? no more RG for you ?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

After some comparison between the Edwards line an Agile 3000/3100 line... found out that some Agile 3000+'s have a Slim tapered neck, which seem to come quite close to RG wizard and superwizard neck I really like. A too chuncky neck is something that kept me away from overal Les paul models. + Agiles have indeed a radius that comes closer to the flat RG radiuses. But they are so incredibly cheap that it's hard to believe they have a certain quality. Besides that, I hear quite a lot good things about it, but bad as well, like bad fretwork and frets that need to be re-glued etc... (things I really don't want to get into when I buy a new guitar). Again no shops around here to test them at least once.

For my hands Agile's specs look better on paper compared to Edwards.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
After some comparison between the Edwards line an Agile 3000/3100 line... found out that some Agile 3000+'s have a Slim tapered neck, which seem to come quite close to RG wizard and superwizard neck I really like. A too chuncky neck is something that kept me away from overal Les paul models. + Agiles have indeed a radius that comes closer to the flat RG radiuses. But they are so incredibly cheap that it's hard to believe they have a certain quality. Besides that, I hear quite a lot good things about it, but bad as well, like bad fretwork and frets that need to be re-glued etc... (things I really don't want to get into when I buy a new guitar). Again no shops around here to test them at least once.

For my hands Agile's specs look better on paper compared to Edwards.
It won't feel like an RG neck, first off I think most Les Paul style guitars have fretboard radii about the same as an RG, but I actually have a Gibson Goddess which has nearly as thin a neck as an RG and it still feels completely different. The string spacing, fret size, scale, and neck shape all amount to a fairly big difference.

One thing to keep in mind, Agile's own website says their guitars are specifically intended for beginners and novices to practice on. Edwards is a solid brand right from the go with no upgrades. I think there probably is a good reason why Edwards can't sell their guitars in most countries without fear of legal reprisal and Agile can.

However, if you are really set on the feel of RG's, you are going to be disappointed unless you have the instrument custom built. It doesn't matter how thin they make the neck, it doesn't feel like an RG. If anything felt like an RG, it would have been the Gibson Goddess series, because that is just about the thinnest neck on that style of guitar and it still feels fairly different.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

The numbers of these slim tapered agile necks are close to RG's in matter of thickness and nut-width/22e fret width. But there is indeed profile shape of the neck. My RGR570 and JEM DBK both have a SuperWizard neck, my RG570 has a Wizard I or II and has the same numbers as well, but feels different. It feels more D-shaped in stead of (-shaped. I'm okay with both, (but prefer the superwizard a bit).

I had a Gibson Flying V 68 reissue from 97, and that neck felt colosal to me, so no go. As long as thickness/width/radius are close to an RG, I could be happy.

Agile... I'm afraid I could be disappointed being used to my bunch of RG's...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
okay, cool, thx for all the advise. definitely going to check out the edwards possibilities.

Darin, which les pauls whould that be ? no more RG for you ?
Not saying no more RG's There a nice 570 hanging a t local shop for $299. It's a sweet guitar. I've had alot of RG, and I'll probably get another one someday. By saying there's no going back, I mean there no going back to NOT having an LP in my lineup.

I did just play for the first tie a guitar I would have never expected to really like. It was a '60 LP Jr. One body mounted P90. It was soooooo sweet sounding. It was easy to make music on this thing. The local guitar store owner collect them and has several on the wall. The one he handed me had a broken neck repaired twice, and was $4999, he said had it not been broken it would be closer to $8000. I know that sound like a lot. And I wouldn't buy it myself. But. They are harder to find every year, they have tone of themselves that you just cannot get from any other guitar. Like with all guitars, you can get "close". Like an EPI does to an LP, or a JS1000 to a Chromeboy, or an RG to a Jem. But if you really need that perfect tone you gotta spend the cash.

Theres a local store with a nice 570 for $299, stained maple top I believe. Plays very nice. Was tempted, but am in the process of building up my PA. Upgraded a few important components that will set me back a few grand in the end.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

btw: if you are not currently an LP fan. Don't just play one. There are different models that really are VERY different from each other. I chose a 2006 GoldTop Classic. If you like RG's you need to play a Classic before you "hate" lp necks for their thickness.

Tags
les paul art 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode