Les Paul Owners: G-string snapping :) problem - how annoying - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Les Paul Owners: G-string snapping :) problem - how annoying

Ok everyone, I've now owned 3 Les Paul guitars in my days. *My current one is a 1957 Custom Black Beauty reissue with a Bigsby. *Every single LP I've owned has the same problem. *The g-string will seem to 'snap' in and out of tune. *Once you get tuned up and play, simply bending the string 1-step will 'snap' it back flat. *This is the only string that does this. *A good friend of mine has a 40th LP that does it too. *They don't do it at first, but after you put a few miles on the guitar. *I change my strings about 1-2 times per month.

Has anyone had this problem and anyone know the fix? *It sounds to me like a problem with the nut but I want to get some input before I go on a filing frenzy.

Gabe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 03:22 PM

Les Paul Owners: G-string snapping :) problem

weird, my Paul doesn't do such a thing, but i guess it might be a nut problem. Sometinhg similar happens to my guitars, but it's in the tuner when the string is not correctly fit, but this happens to everyguitar i guess, and in every string... except locking nut guitars... a nevermind...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 05:26 PM

I have a 79 LP Custom Black Beauty that this happened to. It was the original bridge & saddles on it. What happened was that over time, a minute spot started wearing in the saddle and eventually got big enough that the string would catch in it. I assume you've looked at this, but it might not hurt to have it filed out, or to have the saddle replaced. Since I bought mine used, and the bridge was fairly corroded, I replaced the whole thing, but it WAS the saddle for the G string......

John W
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 06:16 PM

mine does that too...a combination of the saddle and the cheap tuners for me
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 06:54 PM

The biggest problem with LP style bridges is that people alway lock down the stop tailpiece and are putting extra stress on the strings... *(g string normally has the most tension and stress on it). To Fix this problem raise your stop tailpiece up by about 3mm and you will not have this problem anymore....

hope this helps
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 08:06 PM

PROBLEMS WITH YOUR G STRING!!!!!!
dude, do you know how wide open that leaves you?! LOL
but, I'm kinda off today, so I'll leave it alone!!!
as for the problem with the G string, it would be odd to be happening on all the LP's you play, but check the tightness of the machine head, and make sure you have the G string wrapped at least 5 times around the peg.
Jeremy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 09:34 PM

I find I have the same problem with my Strat, but only when I use the trem. *(I've decided to stop touching that demon bar. Yes, I'm aware that's a MAJOR setup, but I'm feeling generous. *Go nuts!) *I found that using lubricated string trees and graphite nut helped to a point, but I think I need locking tuners or a better restringing technique.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 11:16 PM

The tuning key on mine seems to do the same thing. *There's a definate point where it stops blending from note to note, goes "KINK" and goes up a half step like it was caught on something. *Only when it was at the correct note though...

Wierd.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:08 PM

My lp does not do that but I also use a use a pencil where the string sits on the nut every other time I change the strings. Try that.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:16 PM

Good `Ol Graphite Lubricant
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote: from BloodySwirl on 12:16 am on July 19, 2001
There's a definate point where it stops blending from note to note, goes "KINK" and goes up a half step like it was caught on something.
Exactly the problem. *When this happens I'll usually drop the string about 2 full steps and quickly tune it back into position. *That seems to help... sometimes.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. *I'll try some of them out.

Gabe
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 04:39 PM

I know exactly how you feel.. I have a cheap Epi Les Paul (plays AMAZING, tone is so-so) that snaps strings so fast you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it. Back when I used to play it much more heavily, ie before I got my JEM and JS, I'd go through about 3 or 4 of the top 3 strings per week, and this was strung with 11s tuned down a whole step. I'm in the process of making the switch to Graphtech Stringsaver Saddles right now (graphtech.bc.ca) and so far they seem to be working excellent. Wider tone, more sustain, no snaps since. Unfortunetly they didn't fit quite right, so I have to send them back along with one of my saddles to get them matched up.

Another trick I've found is how to string it up. The tune-o-matic bridges have a very sharp saddle-edge, and when you first string it up, the strings are relatively slack, and as you tighten them, you're drawing them taut over this knife-edge. Just my advice, you can try lightly sanding the saddles, and/or lubricating them with lithium grease. Better yet, when you string it, pull the strings tight with your hand before you set them over the bridge. This should make it a bit easier on them as you tune it up.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 04:45 PM

Whoops, I made a big explanation and explained the answer to the wrong question!

For the snapping in-and-out of the, you may want to carefully file your saddle to make the slot deeper.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2001, 10:47 AM
Banned

I have a 76 custom and it does the same thing... I usually do the graphite on the nut trick and that helps, but it still does it no matter what. *
Also, you can never tune down to pitch on any strings. *What I mean by this is if it's out on the "sharp" side *you have to tune below correct pitch... pull on the string (it's now flat)... then go up. *If you just tune down, it'll be fine until you bend the string then Bam its flat (basically the nut is grabbing the string). *It took a little while to get used to this, but now it's no problem at all and once it's in tune, it takes a lot to make it go out. *

Tags
epi les paul , graphite nut , les paul , locking nut , locking tuners , matic bridge , string tree , string trees

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode