Les Paul Studio - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Les Paul Studio

I've been looking for a new guitar for a while now. Always had the intention of buying an Ibanez, then the other day I had a little go on a Les Paul Studio. Must say I was quite impressed, to the point that I'm now considering getting one.

Anyone here own one, would be nice to get some thoughts from you guys on what I should go for. Was looking at one of the new RG1550's, was dead set until i touched the Gibson...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Re: Les Paul Studio

I have one in the worn brown vintage mahogany. Great guitar. Very different from my Ibbys, but it inspires me to play differently.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply pal.
I hear what you're saying about inspiring you to play different. I love the Ibanez's, but Im really going through an Al Di Meola phase at the moment and the RG's don't really cut it when trying to replicate his sound.

The main issue for me is money + value. Times are hard right now, and I want the best bang for buck. From what I've read the Les Pauls arent great value for money and are a little overpriced. However, the one I played felt very, very nice. Its going to be a long time until I will be able to afford another guitar, so I want something that is going to quell my desire to spend cash on guitars..
My gut feeling is to go for the Les Paul, just wanted some reassurance..
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 06:43 PM

If you feel you can go between that and your other guitars (this is me assuming you have an Ibanez already) because of differences in scale length and neck shape, then go for it. I picked up a custom goldtop reissue and hated it. It's all about what you personally think.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:06 PM

I really really suggest getting one (if you do decide to get one) to get the one with the ebony fingerboard. Wayyyy better then the other Studios. I highly dislike any other Studios. Oh wait, I forgot, sorry, they send all the s*** guitars to Canada. I must have played those...
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

The studio im looking at is an ebony...

..its just such a tough call. Gonna cost me the best part of 1000 English!! the 1550M is 825 but I have an RG already. Tried a Jem7VWH and have to say I wasnt overly impressed.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Banned

studio easy over rg1550 by a long long way.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I'm not a fan of the lower price Gibsons, I think you're usually better off with an alternative brand, be it Epiphone or my fave, Tokai.

Having said that I've not tried the new Studio and I do like Ebony boards, but bang for buck I think some of the Tokai's (with rosewood boards) are great.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM

i have a studio for years now, and i love this fuling guitar!!!!!i got the wine red w/gold hardware/ebony board.she sounds great.back in the 90's i had a poster with all the lp models on it, and i noticed that EVERYTHING about the studio was the same as a standard,except the binding,and the pretty stuff.dont get the natural wood models, they sound like crap.make shure it has 490t/490b.and youre set.btw/i paid $500 for mine the day after x-mas cuz comeone got it the day before and brought it to a pawn shop to pay some bills.lol
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
I have one in the worn brown vintage mahogany. Great guitar. Very different from my Ibbys, but it inspires me to play differently.
Socratys, this Studio that taracatac owns is a good guitar, especially if you're watching a budget. Less money than the regular Studios on account of its finish-- just a brown stained mahogany. The Burstbuckers scream!

I'd take sound and tone over looks any day, especially to save some cash.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Cheers for everyones replies.
I bit the bullet today, got the white Ebony with Chrome hardware. Its lovely looking and the tone is really nice. Will post some pics when I get the chance to later, thats if anyone is interested!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Of course we're interested. What's the line?

"This thread is worthless without pics"?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'm not a fan of the lower price Gibsons, I think you're usually better off with an alternative brand, be it Epiphone or my fave, Tokai.

Having said that I've not tried the new Studio and I do like Ebony boards, but bang for buck I think some of the Tokai's (with rosewood boards) are great.
I have absolutley no respect of what youR opinion is now or forever! I just bought a Studio Plus that is amazing, moreover, I've owned another Studio. And sometimes you cannot tell the difference between any Les Paul. Sometimes Epiphones feel better than Customs, yes, I said it Customs. I'm not meaning to flame, but you have NO CLUE BRO! Really out of any brand ever made probably, sometimes Gibson Customs are hard to tell from Studios. They vary that much. I work at a place where they carry everything mentioned, sometimes you cannot tell.

Last edited by rickcard71; 05-26-2009 at 10:21 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcard71 View Post
I have absolutley no respect of what youR opinion is now or forever! I just bought a Studio Plus that is amazing, moreover, I've owned another Studio. And sometimes you cannot tell the difference between any Les Paul. Sometimes Epiphones feel better than Customs, yes, I said it Customs. I'm not meaning to flame, but you have NO CLUE BRO! Really out of any brand ever made probably, sometimes Gibson Customs are hard to tell from Epipis. They vary that much. I work at a place where they carry everything mentioned, sometimes you cannot tell. If you had no clue if you were blindfolded, than just base it on weight. Most times the higher end guitars will weigh more for whatever reason, but not always true.
Dude, are you high or something?
jim777 is online  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Dude, are you high or something?
Are u? So you are saying lower price LPs are not worth buying and that you are better off buying an Epiphone? Just for resale value alone you are better off with any LPs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode