Les Pauls... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Les Pauls...

Hey Guys. Seeing as how this site is mostly for people who love Ibanez guitars, I was wondering how some of you feel about other popular styles like Les Pauls. I personally like JEM's, Les Pauls, and SG's the best, but that's just me. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I think Gabe is fond of the odd Les Paul, and I've heard that butch has a nice Les Paul too

I'm not so into them myself, I always wanted to be, but I just don't gel with them
post #3 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 11:22 AM

Personaly I really like the single cutaway carved top LPs. I sold my custom shop LP, but I'd like to build me a Warmoth replacement soon just the way I want it. I want that super cool piano bridge!!! shweeeet!

I mean for hardtail action, LP is my choice. Course now they got a double locking JS1000... hmmm haven't tried one yet though.
post #4 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:03 AM

My holy grail guitar is a 1979 LP 25/50 limited edition that i played in some guitar shop in London, so far it was the sweetest guitar I ever had in my hands...enough said.
post #5 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 11:30 AM

My first "real" guitar many years ago was a Gibson SG special...still have that beat old puppy. My taste has long since gone toward Ibanez, and Fender to some extent. But recently I've owned a LP Classic Plus and couple of bolt neck MIJ 70s LP copies (Ibanez & Electra...not bad for the money). I've been warming up to the tone and feel of LPs, but have not landed one that I've wanted to keep just yet.
Greg
post #6 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 01:03 PM

I personally love Les Pauls, but hate the fat neck. I'm sure I'd get used to it though. I'd just love to have one eventually, cuz they just sound so nice! Anyone tried the Les Paul Classic with the "Slim Taper Neck"? What's it like?
post #7 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 02:53 PM

I have a 1976 custom in black with gold hardware. I recently put a Fred in the bridge and it did wonders for the tone. It is WAY to heavy (in actual weight, not sound) for me to be comfortable with live. I use it in the studio and do sometimes carry it around to gigs... usually it only gets played for a song or two. Still a cool guitar.
post #8 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 09:12 PM

Not got a Gibbo but got a Tokai Love Rock which is infinitely better than any modern Gibson LP I have played.

Here it is:
post #9 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:41 PM

That's cool, especially since, from far-ish away, it looks like it says "Les Paul".
post #10 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-04-2002, 10:49 PM

I personally hate Gibsons, but hey, it's a free country.
post #11 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 06:50 AM

Les Pauls are wonderful....perfect for rythm but for lead I prefer a Strat or a Superstrat.... But Gary Moore could do some crazy stuff with his...
post #12 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-05-2002, 09:43 AM

Gibson Les Paul... There is NO substitute!

I've got a Joe Perry Signature Les Paul and it is one of the finest guitars I've ever owned... It has a huge '59 neck carve, which when combined with the tiny body, 24.6" scale (24.75" string length) and Tune-O-Matic bridge makes it about as different a playing experience from my Jems as you can possibly get. But it absolutely screams, and nothing can thunder like a Les Paul! I never believed it myself until I fell in love with this one and brought it home, but they are really unique...

I used to own a 1980 Tokai Love Rock Custom - the absolute top-of-the-line Tokai from the height of their copy period. Believe me, these poly-finished Japanese guitars look the part, but they're NOT in the same league by a long shot...

I have an SG Special too! It's a very different guitar tonally and in terms of playability - the upper fret access on an SG puts a Jem to shame! (too bad it only has 22 frets ) It doesn't really sound anything like my Les Paul, tho'...

If you want the best of both worlds, try a PRS Custom 24 - it's like a cross between a Les Paul and an SG with a little Strat thrown in for good measure. Mine is a real player, and sees a lot of use...
post #13 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 10:20 AM

I didn't think I'd fall in love with them...REALLY!

Well...I had been primarily a JS guitar player for about 10 years....then I found a Les Paul that just did it for me. Albeit it was a custom shop and was built and setup very nicely which is a hard characteristic to find in Les Pauls these days.

I now own two very very nice les pauls that have some seriously screaming tone....I'm not terribly surprised as my main influence is Jimmy Page and I've never been a fan of Hum-Single-Hum configurations as much.

Les Paul Custom Shop Classic
Les Paul '56 Re-Issue Goldtop

Those are my new weapons of choice...some serious tone...made for Marshall
post #14 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 12:01 PM

I've had several Gibson's over the years:
-the 2nd guitar I bought brand new (after my first VWH!) was a '93 Limited Edition Les Paul Standard Birdseye in natural finish-damn I miss it!
-'62 Les Paul (SG Body Style) All original. Killer axe! Traded it towards a '64 Strat
-'85 Custom Shop Flying V in Purple Burst
-'74 SG Standard in walnut stain
-'99 ES-335 Dot Reissue in natural, mega-flamed top
-'75 "The Paul" in Walnut
-'64 Melody Maker in Cherry
-'98 EDS-1275 (?) Double Neck in Cherry
-'96 Les Paul Custom in Wine Red (another one I miss!)

The only Gibson I've got right now is a dead mint, all-original 1964 ES330 w/ a factory Bigsby. LOVE that thing! But...I'm scared to take it anywhere! LOL The only Gibsons I'd really like right now are one of the Faded Cherry SG's, and a '92/93 Limited Colours Les Paul Standard in Purple (specifically Shawn's! (Trapzilla))
post #15 of 132 (permalink) Old 05-07-2002, 12:27 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Gibsons but I would love the Zakk Wylde signature model. The bullseye design is just too cool.

Tags
brian moore , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , coil split , coil splitting , custom guitar , custom shop , darren wilson , dean evo , dean evo special , distorted tone , dot inlay , dot inlays , double neck , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul custom , ernie ball , ernie balls , feiten tuning system , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , flame maple , floating trems , fret access , gary moore , gibson les paul , guitar collection , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem neck , jimmy page , joe perry , kerry king , les paul , les paul classic , les paul custom , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , local music store , locking tuners , mahogany body , matic bridge , monkey grip , music store , neck finish , neck pickup , paul reed , paul reed smith , pickup cover , prs guitar , prs guitars , prs mccarty , reed smith , rosewood board , schaller locking , schaller locking tuners , seymour duncan , squier strat , squire strat , steve vai , tuning system , upper fret , upper fret access , warmoth strat , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode