Les Pauls - bit of a winge!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Les Pauls - bit of a winge!!

It really is getting on my nerves now!!
I love Les Pauls....and i always will dribble over them for as long as i live.

Recently i have noticed though however that if you havent got £1000 to spend on one....you might as well not bother!

Les Pauls are getting way too overpriced now. And the way i see it is, if it isnt a Gibson, there is no point in getting one!! Because lets be fair, Epiphone arent bad guitars but they never will come close at all!!

And gone are the days of finding *cheap* Les Pauls if there were any. Even secondhand nowadays you are looking at £1000 for a decent one!

And to be fair there isnt really any other alternative, maybe Tokai and maybe Epiphone if you are on a smaller budget??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 01:44 PM

I've seemed to notice a few LP Classics priced at around $1000 US, which seems fairly reasonable. I agree about MIK Epis...not so good. MIJ LPs are a great alternative. Tokais are great...especially the older ones. I've also had an 80 Burny and the quality/tone were stunning. Greco and Orville are other good MIJ brands.
Greg
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 08:33 PM
dex

Coda Music are having a big huge sale on the Elite Range of the Epiphone line - all Made in Japan.
I think they call them Elitist now or something to that effect - check them out.

ilia
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:41 AM

Agree'd the price has shot up,BUT they have never been cheap,I have a fantastic LP that has THAT sound,never sell her,Ever...The gutting thing is after 10 years of super slueth tracking i know who owns my old LP ... how much did he pay for it after i traded it ... £450

I'm gonna e-mail coz i want that guitar back,And would be quite willing to sell all my Ibanez stuff to get it too,Cepy my UV neck :-)

Rob

p.s. they do pop up for less than £700 in very bad condition,remember to check for headstock repairs
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 01:33 PM

I have a '93 Les Paul Custom. All I have to say is an Epiphone or any other LP imitations can't even come close to it. I played LP Classics. They are good, but if you really want a Les Paul that will blow you away every time you play it, then save up and buy a Custom or a 50's version.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 09:23 PM

What are those new Faded series Les Pauls like?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 09:25 PM

I just noticed...I never really seem to see any beat-to-hell LPs like you do beat-to-hell Strats.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie
What are those new Faded series Les Pauls like?
A stripped down version with a nasty finish...very primitive feeling.
Greg
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

This is what I mean - if you want a decent Les Paul you gotta be willing to pay the price.

The good thing i suppose is that they are an investment.....they will only grow in value!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 03:59 PM

I know I am probably biased, but if you are looking for a good Les Paul style guitar that doesn't necessarily have to be a Gibson, check out the ESP/LTD high-end Eclipse models. The one I have, the EC-1000, is the best guitar I have had the privilege of playing, and I have owned some NICE ones. I won't say whole lot about it, but they speak for themselves if you really give em a chance.

Abe
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 02:39 AM

I think lps' are great but for me the best thing to buying a gibson lp (if you dont have the cash) is a ibanez lawsuit lp. These guitars where made in the 70s' (maybe early 80s'?) i think but they are lps' but with ibanez on the headstock. They were so simular that gibson sued them. But that is the same thing imho. You should try to get your hands on one.

Just my $.02
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 02:26 PM

My main playing axe is a PRS Singlecut. Have you checked out the PRs's? They aren't overpriced like the Gibby's.

JC
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
This is what I mean - if you want a decent Les Paul you gotta be willing to pay the price.

The good thing i suppose is that they are an investment.....they will only grow in value!
You took the words right out of my mouth...I just got a Les Paul "Ace Frehley" Coustom that was VERY expensive, but as soon as I plugged in It was worth EVERY penny!! Yes, it is an (expensive) investment and WILL grow in value (only made for 5 years 97/01) I e-mailed Gibson about the serial # to verify the year and they sent me back the whole history on the guitar, even the day it was made on! They keep records of the LP Coustoms that they make. I wish Ibanez would do that.......
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 04:29 PM

I wonder if an Epiphone Les Paul (an Elite model?) can actually surpass a LP Studio. Before I bought my LP Custom (got a solid deal on a used one...they are out there) I tried a ton of LPs. The one I liked the least from Gibson was the studio. It just lacked body with the tone and it felt like it was "less" of a guitar. Still, it is better than a number of others, but if you are already at the $1000 mark, go to at least a Classic. How does an Elite sound? I'm sure its different to each person's ears.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sry777
I think lps' are great but for me the best thing to buying a gibson lp (if you dont have the cash) is a ibanez lawsuit lp. These guitars where made in the 70s' (maybe early 80s'?) i think but they are lps' but with ibanez on the headstock. They were so simular that gibson sued them. But that is the same thing imho.
As someone who's owned a number of "vintage" Ibanez guitars, I must temper this statement with caution - the myth of the Ibanez Les Paul that's "as good as a Gibson" is just that; a myth... Lets not forget that the comparison was originally made against the absolute worst Les Pauls that Gibson had ever made in the heart of the gruesome Norlin era, and that the phrase "for the money" was suffixed to the statement... Some of the AR, AM and AS guitars from the early eighties are very nice and pretty consistent, but from what I've seen, a lot - if not most - of the so called "lawsuit" guitars were utter crap, and even those at the top of the catalog suffered from questionable quality control and were too damned heavy ime (witness a thirteen pound Bob Weir sig. I owned that would not intonate properly no matter what I did)... I've owned both the original and many copies, and I never would have traded any of my Gibson Les Pauls for any of the Ibanez copies I've had - indeed, contemporary Epiphone LP copies are probably better than 99% of what Ibanez was putting out back then... The best copy I ever had was a 1979 Tokai - it was pretty close...

Tags
ace frehley , epiphone les paul , fret neck , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , ibanez guitars , ibanez les paul , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , les paul style guitar , les pauls , mesa cab , prs mccarty , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode