Let me pick your brains on the RG700 series... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Question Let me pick your brains on the RG700 series...

What would you guys say was the closest thing to the RG700 series in recent memory?

So we're talking:

Wizard neck profile (or as near as it gets)
Build quality (I've got an RG750 and it is amazing!!)
Other nuances (such as the binding, matching headstock, etc.)

Also, when the RG700 was discontinued in '94, did any series become a successor to it in the mid-nineties like has happened with the RG500 series in recent years? (for example: RG550 changed to RG2550)

I've got to say that it's such a shame that Ibanez still don't do this series, they're fantastic guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Re: Let me pick your brains on the RG700 series...

One guitar I owned briefly (this year, I think) that I thought was extremely close to the old RG7xx series was a Japanese Jackson DK2. Bound rosewood board, similar inlays, and a great feel. I would have kept it, but it was behind the Jem, so it was never going to get much play time Plus, it had the blue/orange hot rod flames paint, which I thought was pretty cool.

Not an Ibanez, but a very close match to the 7xx series guitars (minus the single coil, of course). Cheap used as well.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 05:33 PM

rg 1550/1570 are supposed to be the replacement of the 5XX series and 2550 and 2570 the rplacement of the 7XX series
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
One guitar I owned briefly (this year, I think) that I thought was extremely close to the old RG7xx series was a Japanese Jackson DK2. Bound rosewood board, similar inlays, and a great feel. I would have kept it, but it was behind the Jem, so it was never going to get much play time Plus, it had the blue/orange hot rod flames paint, which I thought was pretty cool.

Not an Ibanez, but a very close match to the 7xx series guitars (minus the single coil, of course). Cheap used as well.
Actually my nephew has one. It's a really nice axe but the pickups and hardware let it down I think. On the other hand, I'd be quite interested to try out one of the new Jackson SL3's which are pretty much the same thing but neck through and with an original Floyd (and I think proper SD pickups?) The DK2's are great at the price point though

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvai View Post
rg 1550/1570 are supposed to be the replacement of the 5XX series and 2550 and 2570 the rplacement of the 7XX series
Now that makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of that! The only problem is that they practically all either black or white

Does anyone know which model took over them when they were discontinued?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Actually my nephew has one. It's a really nice axe but the pickups and hardware let it down I think. On the other hand, I'd be quite interested to try out one of the new Jackson SL3's which are pretty much the same thing but neck through and with an original Floyd (and I think proper SD pickups?) The DK2's are great at the price point though

Now that makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of that! The only problem is that they practically all either black or white

You can get the RG2570Z in Yellow!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:

The 2550 and 2570 are still available. Rosewood boards only though, no maple like the old 700s.

I second Jim's comment on the Jackson DKs. I have a Japanese Jackson Dinky that feels and plays very similar to my 700s. They're very nice guitars, and fairly cheap!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
You can get the RG2570Z in Yellow!!
I did say 'practically'

Either way, that thing might as well be called 'mustard sparkle' or something, it's horrible!! Plus, yellow really doesn't suit rosewood IMHO. Never got into the VDY Jem either for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman View Post
The 2550 and 2570 are still available. Rosewood boards only though, no maple like the old 700s.
I should've re-phrased that, I know they're still available but what I meant was what took over or became the equivalent from the 700's in mid 90's? All this USRG malarky, I'm unsure with it because I've only ever really thought about RG/Jem/PGMs.

BTW cheers for the input everyone
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 05:14 PM

Either way, that thing might as well be called 'mustard sparkle' or something, it's horrible!! Plus, yellow really doesn't suit rosewood IMHO. Never got into the VDY Jem either for the same reason.

???what??? i really like the vdy...because of that.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 PM

on topic.....

buy a old 700 serie...i think the best are the usa custom 700 serie.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Dee

Quote:
Build quality (I've got an RG750 and it is amazing!!)
Snap. My '90 750 was perfect, and the neck was incredible to play. I haven't played anything better in 18 years -- no word of a lie.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Dee

Quote:
what I meant was what took over or became the equivalent from the 700's in mid 90's?
Nothing took over, as far as I'm concerned. The 700's haven't been matched yet. Some say 2550/2570, but the necks simply aren't as good to play. They can't stand up to an RG750 with an Edge or Lo-Pro, IMO.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
???what??? i really like the vdy...because of that.
If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Snap. My '90 750 was perfect, and the neck was incredible to play. I haven't played anything better in 18 years -- no word of a lie.
I can completely believe it. 95% of the time this is the guitar I pick up to play out of all my guitars (50% of the time at the moment actually because I just picked up an original RG550DY.) Most people probably don't realise how good these things were because they're an RG and not a Jem. After a pickup upgrade, I'd easily stick them (or at least mine) on the level of a Jem.

Ah... I guess I was clutching at straws really, hoping someone would say "Yes! Ibanez produced 'x' model to make up for the lack of a 7xx series."

Tags
rg750 , rg770 rg770dx rg7**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode