Let's discuss Les Pauls - Page 12 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

Re: Let's discuss Les Pauls

I was encouraged to install a light weight Tone Pros tail piece on my LP. Was told it would improve the stock tone. It did change the tone, but I HATED it myself. It lost that dark creamy tone and actually became more Ibanez like. Not that that tone is bad, it's just not the reason I bought the LP.

Anyone want to buy a Tone Pros LP tail piece?

http://www.tonepros.com/products.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM

Yea, you can't improve on perfection
Ask yourself this question before changing anything on your guitar: Do you like the guitar as is?
I've been there too, installing new hardware or electronics because people claim it's better (because it's not stock?), and ending up changing it back because I didn't like it. Then I decided not to touch any of the guitars that I like as-is.
post #168 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
Yea, you can't improve on perfection
Ask yourself this question before changing anything on your guitar: Do you like the guitar as is?
I've been there too, installing new hardware or electronics because people claim it's better (because it's not stock?), and ending up changing it back because I didn't like it. Then I decided not to touch any of the guitars that I like as-is.
Yeah, there is definately a lot of hype around after market stuff. Everyone replaces pickups and tuners and so on. Well yeah, maybe there are better pickups and so on that what came stock on some guitars, but not on all guitars. I had a friend who had a Les Paul and it sounded exactly as it should. And he went and got all jazzed up on buying these new pickups. Now I forget the company's name but I know that they won some award or something for being the pickups that sounded "the most like original PAFs." So my friend spent $320 on a set and we put them in, and low and behold... It sounded just about exactly the same as it did before. Of course not to my friend, but to everyone else. What a waste.
post #169 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 PM

Reviews: 3

I don't get why everyone thinks pups are a 'must' replacement, especially on Gibsons, prs's, even Carvins. Unless it says Dimarzio x, Seymour Duncan x, or EMG x, it's subpar... Hey I like replacing pickups too, but if I get a Les Paul I don't think I'll worry about it too soon.
post #170 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texshred777 View Post
I don't get why everyone thinks pups are a 'must' replacement, especially on Gibsons, prs's, even Carvins. Unless it says Dimarzio x, Seymour Duncan x, or EMG x, it's subpar... Hey I like replacing pickups too, but if I get a Les Paul I don't think I'll worry about it too soon.
It really is just a preference thing. I'm sure plenty of people who buy $2000 or $3000 or $4000 PRS guitars leave the pickups in 'em. I don't think there's a stigma against "stock pups", I feel like from what I've seen with most of my close friends being guitar players, that only applies to the cheaper guitars. (I don't know many people who love the stock pickups on a 300 dollar Ibanez). There's an easy way around this whole debacle though, just get a custom build going. That way you decide the pickups and you dont have to deal with worryin' about swapping to something you wont like as much .
post #171 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 PM
MFB

I wouldn't say you need to go as far as getting a Custom Shop right away. I mean, for a while I shopped around trying to find the "perfect stock guitar" but I soon found that to be impossible. My current project is my Kramer. Now I love the thing, but I didn't like two things about it :

Finish
Stock pups (they sounded decent but were old and looked terrible too)

The body is a good fit and everything, I love the neck feel, simplicity of just a master tone and volume, so the two things I didn't like could easily be fixed.

However, there are only few guitars you can do this with. It's hit or miss unfortunately.
post #172 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:15 AM

Reviews: 3

Oh, I definately agree that most people would(and probably should) replace pickups on cheaper guitars. I wouldn't leave v7/v8/si etc in a guitar. I'm sure many who buy 3+ grand on a PRS do keep the stock pickups(seeing things like emg's in a prs is quite, odd...) It just seems that many guitarists believe aftermarket pickups are an automatic ''upgrade'', which is odd to me in a high end guitar. I guess it's not that surprising with so many companies(and artists) using aftermarket pickups.

Last edited by texshred777; 10-30-2008 at 01:41 AM.
post #173 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
I wouldn't say you need to go as far as getting a Custom Shop right away. I mean, for a while I shopped around trying to find the "perfect stock guitar" but I soon found that to be impossible. My current project is my Kramer. Now I love the thing, but I didn't like two things about it :

Finish
Stock pups (they sounded decent but were old and looked terrible too)

The body is a good fit and everything, I love the neck feel, simplicity of just a master tone and volume, so the two things I didn't like could easily be fixed.

However, there are only few guitars you can do this with. It's hit or miss unfortunately.
Yeah I agree with ya MFB, I wouldnt say anyone "needs to go custom", but for me it was the solution to all my guitar woes. I could never be satisfied with stock guitars, even with all the aftermarket mods you can think of. I bought and sold guitars, and bought and sold more guitars (thankfully due to craigslist I almost never lost any money in doing so)...for like 3 years trying to find that perfect guitar and in the end I just realized that I had certain designs, inlays, pickups, woods, etc in mind and just found a local luthier and went with it. Some people find that "perfect feel" in that certain strat, or les paul, or Jem, etc but for me it had to be this way.
post #174 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
Yeah I agree with ya MFB, I wouldnt say anyone "needs to go custom", but for me it was the solution to all my guitar woes. I could never be satisfied with stock guitars, even with all the aftermarket mods you can think of. I bought and sold guitars, and bought and sold more guitars (thankfully due to craigslist I almost never lost any money in doing so)...for like 3 years trying to find that perfect guitar and in the end I just realized that I had certain designs, inlays, pickups, woods, etc in mind and just found a local luthier and went with it. Some people find that "perfect feel" in that certain strat, or les paul, or Jem, etc but for me it had to be this way.
I can see it being like that. I love my RG, but honestly I wish I could have a copy or two of them exactly like this in another color or with different pups. Maybe I'd change the floating trem to a stop tail piece on a few. So for things like that I would need a custom guitar.

However, I still have to say a lot of us gassed out guitar freaks get into wanting things. You know? Thinking we need something we don't and always looking how to spend the money we have on gear, even though we're pretty well set up. It's not bad, it's a hobby were supposed to want to invest in it without regard for physical/monetary return. But, needless to say I think a lot of us are unhappy with things just because we want to experience something new as opposed to there actually being something wrong with our current guitar, gear or what ever.

I hope that makes sense, and please understand I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I have heard and played great sounding stuff with cheap and expensive gear. And I have noticed that I do sound remarkably the same on many types of guitars. And at least 50% of the time when I switched guitars it was because I honestly (brutaly) was tired of seeing the same old thing.
post #175 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 AM
MFB

The best translation of what you're saying would be : we want X amount of guitars to make sure we're not missing out on one thing or another

Seems about right to me
post #176 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 AM

Yeah, I'll +1 to both of the above comments. I finished my first build something like 1.5 years ago and I was like ok great I'll never need another guitar, this one is PERFECT. And it was, and still is. I still play it almost every day. But a few months later I was like hmm I have some extra funds...how about another? This time with a different pup configuration, different pickups wired in a different way, different woods, different body style and neck feel...then after that one was done it was on to the next one...etc.

So basically I didnt so much solve my GAS problem as replace my GAS for various guitars with GAS for various custom projects. At least with this GAS I get 100% what I want, 100% of the time, and I get a great stable of different guitars (or at least that's how I try to justify it to myself ).
post #177 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Yea, Gibson pickups are actually among my favourites. I'd probably get a set of Gibsons if I were to install aftermarket pickups in some guitar now.
post #178 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't leave v7/v8/si etc in a guitar.
I do.
I have an alder RG570CT. I replaced the pickups after my neck pickup died, so I got a DiMarzio ToneZone, Blue Velvet and PAF Pro.
I ended up taking them out and buying a secondhand V7 to make the guitar stock again, because it actually sounds better that way. Not only is it less noisy, but it also has a nicer tone with more punch and it 'sings' more in the high range.
post #179 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
I do.
I have an alder RG570CT. I replaced the pickups after my neck pickup died, so I got a DiMarzio ToneZone, Blue Velvet and PAF Pro.
I ended up taking them out and buying a secondhand V7 to make the guitar stock again, because it actually sounds better that way. Not only is it less noisy, but it also has a nicer tone with more punch and it 'sings' more in the high range.
I took my old Ibanez pups out of my RG, but I have to say, they didn't sound as bad as people let on. Now it was a V1 and two S1s ('91 560)but yeah they sounded alright. I put in my D-Sonic and Two fastracks largely so I could be more versatile and get a better metal tone. It worked well, but I'd have to say that the originals were better than I thought they would be before gettng the guitar.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil split , custom guitars , electric guitar , fat tone , fret access , fret size , gary moore , guage strings , ibanez models , john sykes , local luthier , mini toggle , pro pickups , robot les paul , scratch plate , sounding guitar , strat style , strat style guitar , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode