Let's discuss Les Pauls - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Re: Let's discuss Les Pauls

Here's my '02 R7. Lately it's been my #1. The original owner had it refretted with jumbos and I find the thicker neck profile to be perfect. My RGs wizard profiles actually cause my wrist to cramp after extended periods of playing now. Not so on my LP.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
The one in the middle is my all time favourite.
I wish I have money to afford one.
My only concern about LPs is the upper frets access... they look terrible.
The middle one was my number 1 for along time, I wish I never got rid of it. The upper fret access isnt that bad, people have been using Les Pauls successfully for 50 years, so it cant be that bad.
post #18 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:35 PM

This is my Les Paul.
As you can see, it's not a Gibson, but an Epiphone.
It's a 1995 Les Paul Standard, made in Korea by Samick. I bought it new, it was my first electric guitar. At the time I was quite into Slash and Gary Moore, so getting a Les Paul was the obvious choice. I loved both the look (almost violin-like, and nice warm wood colours) and the mega-fat tone and sustain.
I later discovered that superstrats aren't necessarily 'strats', if you know what I mean. They can have a fat mahogany sound and sustain aswell, and they can have nice figured maple tops and all that (like the RG570CT you can see in the back at the left in that picture). Since I discovered Vai and Satriani and such (and re-discovered Van Halen... I grew up with Eddie's music, but I didn't play guitar back then), superstrat guitars are my weapon of choice, with Ibanez being my brand of choice.. but the Les Paul still has a special place.

Anyway, the guitar has been pimped in various ways:
- Electronics completely replaced with high grade copper wire, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and jack, and original Gibson 490R and 498T hot alnico pickups, secondhand, originally out of a Les Paul Custom (the polepieces are actually gold-coloured although they're so worn that you can't tell anymore, and the gold covers were ugly so I left them off).
- Graphtech nut installed (this picture was taken before that time).
- Frets leveled and recrowned by a local luthier.
- Jackplate replaced with a chrome-coloured metal plate.
- D'Addario's special .0095-.044 guage strings.

When I originally bought the guitar, I was about 16 years old, and had only been playing for a short while... I couldn't afford a real Gibson, and I certainly wouldn't be worth one.
I've had it for about 13 years now, and although I could afford a Gibson now, I have little desire to. The guitar still looks good, and the playability and tone are still great to me. I suppose it's partly out of respect for this old and special guitar that I don't want to 'replace' it with a real Gibson. It'd feel like retiring this one.

Anyway, enough chit-chat... Here's a video of me playing the guitar (no problems reaching upper frets... in fact, I prefer Les Pauls to Strats... I hate the heel on a Strat.. I often bang my hand hard into it because you don't feel it coming when sliding up, unlike a Les Paul's heel):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JFwEIyBBU

And here are some tracks on which I used that guitar:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5198947
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6114494
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=6078296
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5965067
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=4800201
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=5003972
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=3667946

Last edited by Scali; 05-28-2008 at 02:41 PM.
post #19 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
The upper fret access isnt that bad, people have been using Les Pauls successfully for 50 years, so it cant be that bad.
I don't mean the upper fret access is absolutely bad,
But being a heavy Ibanez user for years, I guess it would be really frustrating to me.
post #20 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
I don't mean the upper fret access is absolutely bad,
But being a heavy Ibanez user for years, I guess it would be really frustrating to me.
It's not bad at all. It helps that it's a shorter scale (24.74") so the strings tension's considerably lower.

Obligatory pics of my 08 Studio

post #21 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 PM

^^^Bloody hell that's tasty
post #22 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 PM

Talking Re: Let's discuss Les Pauls

Oh god....not this again

The Les Paul neck has never felt right to me. (and I've played many of them) I'm not saying they are bad guitars, they just dont do it for me

Chris, you're a truoble maker
post #23 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Oh god....not this again

The Les Paul neck has never felt right to me. (and I've played many of them) I'm not saying they are bad guitars, they just dont do it for me

Chris, you're a truoble maker
Just paint it pink, pretend it's made of plastic and has a gaudy vine on it and you'll be happy.
post #24 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
^^^Bloody hell that's tasty
Thanks! I was tempted to get one in Alpine White since 1) it's the only studio with an ebony board and 2) it was $120 cheaper. However, I got them to give me this one for the same price. Couldn't be happier Glad I hesitated on the alpine white, too, since a week beforehand I nabbed a 2002 JS1000WH and really didn't want another white guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjemmer777
Even the "slim taper 60's" neck is thick as hell, so to each their own, I hear ya. But for some reason I have no trouble shifting between Wizards, Fender C's, and Gibson 50's or 60's necks - but this is not necessarily a good thing because it encourages GAS on a massive scale
post #25 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 AM

I am GASing for a new Faded LP lately... never owned an LP before...
post #26 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post

I'm with you there, to me there nothing more than these..

post #27 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 AM

And while we're at it, let's discuss Agiles, 90% as good as Gibson (pre-pickup change) for 1/5th the price .
post #28 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 AM

Why not custom guitars from a luthier friend of his.....
post #29 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Why not custom guitars from a luthier friend of his.....
Lol that made me lough real hard

But I agree, while many Ibanez models are overpriced, LP's are worse. Secondly I was a LP player for years, before I went the RG/JEM way. Nowadays I have a real hard time when I pick up a LP. However I tried the Slash signature a few days back and have to say it is nice and plays way easier than my own LP.
post #30 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 01:00 PM

I actually want an Ibanez Performer... the old Les Paul-clone from Ibanez.
Here's Paul Gilbert playing his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswM_mB-7AQ

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil split , custom guitars , electric guitar , fat tone , fret access , fret size , gary moore , guage strings , ibanez models , john sykes , local luthier , mini toggle , pro pickups , robot les paul , scratch plate , sounding guitar , strat style , strat style guitar , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode