Let's discuss Les Pauls - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 AM

Re: Let's discuss Les Pauls

My Epi LP Custom AWH. Bought it used but in great condition. Sounds good but I don't like the finished neck. Too sticky but won't sand the finish away, though it'd be better to play :-|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad_Astra View Post
Sounds good but I don't like the finished neck. Too sticky but won't sand the finish away, though it'd be better to play :-|
Good luck on that... My Epi is now 13 years old, played almsot daily during most of that time, and the finish on the neck is still good as new.
I do see some slight discolouring under the scratchplate though, the exposed part of the body is slightly lighter now... so the finish is not *entirely* indestructible... But dang, a sunburst that has slowly faded away over the years, that's SOO cool, that's SOO vintage Les Paul
post #48 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Got my Edwards John Sykes LP a couple of hours ago. Absolute mint condition and even had the plastic still on the scratch plate and covers! Got to say I'm very pleased For less than a third of the price of my old Gibson Custom, this really isn't bad at all. Plays very nicely, no where near as heavy as the Custom I had, great tone and it sustains forever!
Price wise, the Gibby Studio is close, but still 100-200 cheaper if you buy used. Although I've only had this a couple of hours, imo this is a much better guitar. All the good things I heard about Edwards appears to be true, but I suppose time will tell if I finally fall in love with a LP!
post #49 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:17 PM

For everybody that doesn't like the sticky necks on Les Pauls, maybe try what I do - just one quick spray of guitar polish on the back of the neck, whiped down with a soft cloth. I use some Dunlop stuff and this keeps the neck slick and dry for an entire session.
post #50 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

Buy Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s Neck

The Gibson Les Paul Standard '60s Neck Electric Guitar delivers the feel and sound of the original. This Les Paul guitar design has a tapered peghead, push-in-bushing, green tuning keys, and nickel hardware. BurstBucker Pro pickups deliver a tighter, balanced, biting tone with more midrange. Mahogany body and neck with maple top and rosewood fretboard.

Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s Neck Electric Guitar Features:

Mahogany body and slim '60s neck
Maple top
Rosewood fretboard
BurstBucker Pro pickups
Green keystone tuners
Top and fretboard binding

Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s Neck Electric Guitar Includes:

hardshell case
post #51 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Reviews: 13

OK, since we're talking about Les Pauls, I have some questions.
I've read about many types of necks, like '60s, '70s, vintages, and so on.
But I never read about the difference between all them.
So:

1) What kinds of neck exist?
2) What's the difference between them (scale wide, thickness, etc)?
post #52 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

This article explains some things about the 50s and 60s necks:
http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...%20Variations/

Apparently the 50s necks are thicker and rounder, and the fret size also differs.
post #53 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
OK, since we're talking about Les Pauls, I have some questions.
I've read about many types of necks, like '60s, '70s, vintages, and so on.
But I never read about the difference between all them.
So:

1) What kinds of neck exist?
2) What's the difference between them (scale wide, thickness, etc)?
Currently the main ones for Les Pauls are 50's rounded, 60's slim taper, 59 Rounded, and early 50s. They all will feel different because they are finished by hand. The 60s is the thinnest while the early 50s (found onthe R6, R7, and R8 ) is the biggest. They just made a Les Paul Traditional that I think I want that is an unchambered Standard with the same profile neck they call a C-shape profile from the 80s and 90s. I had a few LPs from that time and they had my favorite neck. I also have a 76 LP Custom that is nothing like the neck on the current Customs. The artist sigs have custom neck profiles.
post #54 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM

I'm not a massive LP fan. I certainly don't mind one, and wouldn't mind owning one, but not nearly badly enough to cough up the kind of cash even a used Gibson goes for these days.

...luckily for me, one of my roommates IS a massive LP fan, and in return for putting up with his constant ball-busting about my thing for Strats, I can pick up his Studio every now and then when I get the urge and get it out of my system.

It's certainly a VERY different sounding guitar from anything else we have in the house.
post #55 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Wow, I didn't even know about the Traditional. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
post #56 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Wow, I didn't even know about the Traditional. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Im guessing its new this year, I stumbled across it looking at the GoTM 50th Ann. Explorer. It's definately on my list when things pick up a little. ACtually the Traditional and the Explorer are both there. If I remember right it's slightly less expensive than a Standard.
post #57 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 PM

i just got a 04 epi standard plus top, and its great. gotta love the brightness!
post #58 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Im guessing its new this year, I stumbled across it looking at the GoTM 50th Ann. Explorer. It's definately on my list when things pick up a little. ACtually the Traditional and the Explorer are both there. If I remember right it's slightly less expensive than a Standard.
Oh lordy, this topic has the LP forums up in arms. Way back in the day (talking pre-Norlin era I believe) Les Pauls were just solid chunks of mahogany, or mahogany and maple depending on how far back you go. They were beefy, heavy instruments.

Eventually, Gibson started "weight relieving" them by punching 9 holes into the top of the mahogany back in a swiss cheese pattern just below the bridge. This would save a couple of pounds.

Come early/mid 2006, Gibson stopped doing this and instead started carving out chambers. They don't do much acoustically - it's like having a couple of swimming poul routes below and to the non-pickguard side of the bridge - but they relieve even more weight. The problem is they never announced the start of this practice and only confirmed it after people figured it out. The purists have been pissed off ever since.

So, in order to settle things down, they've announced the Traditional, which is basically the Standard with the swiss cheese holes rather than the chambers.
post #59 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Norlins werent weight relieved either, that started in the mid 80s.
Full solid bodies would be the best, but I can deal with the weight relief, more than anything Im happy about the neck profile and the Pleking
post #60 of 179 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:56 PM

The "Traditional" is the new standard. I don't know if anyone noticed, but most online vendors have started "blowing out" the older standard for $1999. (compared to the MAP of $2499).

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil split , custom guitars , electric guitar , fat tone , fret access , fret size , gary moore , guage strings , ibanez models , john sykes , local luthier , mini toggle , pro pickups , robot les paul , scratch plate , sounding guitar , strat style , strat style guitar , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode