Let's discuss Les Pauls - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Let's discuss Les Pauls

I know a few people around here are into Les Pauls. Anyone care to discuss them? Don't get me wrong, I love Jems/UV's as much as anyone, but I think I have my fair share of em, and I have been gassing for a good LP for some time now.

Let's start out with your LP's please post pics and stories about yours! I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear about them. I know Elcid is into LP's, and I think Rich might even have one.

I'm thinking the G0 LP (Guitar Center '60 Reissue) seems like a good Paul. Anyone had a chance to try one out at t local GC? It looks like a good axe, and a good price on a RI just becuase it is a plaintop. Only thing I don't like is Gibsons new VOS finish, which is just an excuse for them not to finish the guitar properly imho. http://www.***************.com/produ...are?sku=514207
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: Let's discuss Les Pauls

replace stars with m u s i c i a n s f r i e n d

[img]http://img3.***************.com/dbase/pics/products/7/2/9/546729.jpg[/img]
post #3 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

post #4 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Yeah the VOS thing is a scam. I bought my R7 non VOS and there was a $200 upcharge. I dont know if Id get that G0, I've read good things but personally I dont like buying retailer specific models because you are stuck paying their price. I got my R7 for over $500 less than MF was selling them more because I have the same guy I buy all my stuff from. He also saved me $500 over MF on my 61RI SG and was good for a few hundred on my regular LPs.
Most of the VOS "finish" will come off with some polish and elbow grease.
post #5 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've read that the VOS can be mostly polished out, but it still kinda bugs me that Gibson is putting this finish on thier guitars and calling it VOS. And even though I know GC is almost a sin, I think I could almost live with the VOS and the GC stigma for a good G0 which is basically the same thing as a 4K+ '60 Reissue, with a plaintop. Still has the long tenon and everything, and could probably be had for a few hairs over $2K. I'm just kinda looking for a player les paul, and pound for pound the G0 looks like the best overall bang for the buck player paul out right now as far as I can tell.
post #6 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM

For just over $2k its a no brainer, I thought I saw $3k at MF. For that price, I'd pass.
post #7 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 PM

cid how many Pauls do you have? Have you ever posted them here? I've seen a strat I think and your black tele
post #8 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 04:59 PM

Here's mine, complete with greasy fingerprints:

It's a 2005, from one of the periods when the quality control was reasonable. Took me a while to find but I love it. The pups sucked (imho) so they got swapped out, but it is an awesome sounding guitar.

People hate the weight, or the limited upper fret access, but nothing sounds like a Les Paul, and if you want that look/sound/feel, nothing else will do.
post #9 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur View Post
cid how many Pauls do you have? Have you ever posted them here? I've seen a strat I think and your black tele

Im down to 2, over the years I've probably had about 12.

Here's the last 4, Im down to the R7 and the Custom

post #10 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Heres some old ones.

Lightburst Classic

Smartwood Exotic

Wine Red Deluxe

Trans black DC
post #11 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM

2005 Honeyburst Standard (worst QC of the bunch)

I never got pics of the rest, I had a White 81 Classic, a Gothic, and a late 80s/early 90s Cherry Sunburst Standard
post #12 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM

My dad used to have a '56 TV Special, one of the first '59 Pre-issues (from Strings N Things), a '73 Black Beauty, a Goldtop with P90s (can't remember which year), and one more (I think a Junior). Of course, even back in the 60s and 70s there was GAS, so he traded a lot of them to get other stuff (such as the 68 Paisley Tele, which was also sold at one point )

But he wants a Les Paul again, and I want one too, so maybe we'll get one in the near future. There a lot of good-condition, used 90s Standards out there. That seems to be our best bet. Of course, we try to play before we buy, because some of them have been duds (such as the $5000 VOS we played the other day), just like any other guitar.

Then again, nothing is good around here unless it is neon pink (or green or yello), swirled, has 24 frets, and Dimarzios.

elCid, those are some really cool looking LPs.

Last edited by waylay00; 05-27-2008 at 05:57 PM.
post #13 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 AM

i am actually looking at getting the edwards e-lp-92 john sykes in coming months. selling quite a few to ge there i maight add. but since i don't have any les pauls and the QC on modern gibsons are horrendous, the stellar reviews on all of the edwards clones have made my mind up for me.

rich
post #14 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM

My Gibson Goddess SG is pretty recent and it is pretty good. The only issue is that the string binds at the nut, but otherwise it is pretty nice. Considering I've been hearing a lot about low quality control on Gibsons, I would probably wouldn't suggest buying one without trying it (I bought mine blind, but I got it for extremely cheap and I honestly did buy it because I thought it looked nice).

However, if I was spending $2K+, I'd probably just go for a GMP, over $3K, I'd probably at least consider just going custom, it is a pretty basic guitar design, so you probably aren't looking to going horribly over the entry prices of custom shops.
post #15 of 179 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
The one in the middle is my all time favourite.
I wish I have money to afford one.
My only concern about LPs is the upper frets access... they look terrible.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , coil split , custom guitars , electric guitar , fat tone , fret access , fret size , gary moore , guage strings , ibanez models , john sykes , local luthier , mini toggle , pro pickups , robot les paul , scratch plate , sounding guitar , strat style , strat style guitar , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode