Lets praise strats :P - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:39 PM

Re: Lets praise strats :P

Ah, again with Rotti's Strat . How're you liking her BTW?

Ah, Strats. I won't say anything that has been said already about this marvel of workhorses. This may just be my luck (though I highly doubt it, since lady luck keeps whacking me with her bag), but every Strat that I've played have made me like them even more. Some of my favourite tones come from Strats, like Sultans of Swing and Cliffs of Dover. I kick myself in the arse everyday for selling my MIM Classic 50's Strat. Never let good of good Strats my friends!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:52 PM

I know, I'll try to stop posting pics of her. I love it. Can't put it down.
post #18 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
No, I love when you post pics of your Strat! She is a beauty.
post #19 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM

Aha I've got a Fender 1987 HM Strat. It's probably the most un-stratty strat Fender ever made (Thinner neck, 24 frets, Kahler trem, more contours, + Fenders attempt at an AANJ) but I LOVE it. It has it's own distinctive tone and mojo. Not sure about normal strats. I like 'em and I WILL get one eventually, but it won't be one of my main guitars.

~M
post #20 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM

fenders do a great job of being fenders !!!
I love em to be honest and when ive bought all the ibanez guitars that I can I will buy one
i nearly bought one back in about 99 when they brought out a USA custom (or whatever it was) all I remember is the awesome sound and the machineheads - which were like 6mm knurled knobs and very flash...
great guitars.... BTW, ive just been listening to Jimmy... so I would say that
the wind cries fender
post #21 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM

there is a certain sound that a strat has that is difficult to reproduce using any other guitar (same can be said about a les paul of course). which is why i do own one. mine is a mij '62 reissue, manufactured in the early 90s. fantastic guitar that plays and sounds as good (and in many cases better) than the american reissues--and at a third of the price. i was almost tempted to get another one off e-bay last month, but i resisted the urge.

but i still prefer guitars that seem to be halfway between the vintage strat feel and halfway between the modern flat radius superstrat feel. which is why i dig guitars like the js, rt and the at models.
post #22 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys, puts a smile on my face. You guys have done well to discredit alot of the criticisms from the bash thread:
-Gex : yeah single coils rock! as do hums...
-Rotti : correct, strats can definately keep up with high gain, and the trem works perfectly. IMO strats rock for down tuning. Btw that custom.. hell yes.
-shredfreak : thx for reminding people about strat's versatility, and the fact that you can get them in just about any construction and configuration.

Good to see all the love for Fender. Pics are a good idea, so heres mine:
96 MIM Fat Strat, Midnight Wine w/ Evo bridge, Virtual 2 Neck. My first, and most bad ass guitar...

keep em comin...

\00/
post #23 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Nice guitar man. The color is really different and that fretboard is super dark for Rosewood. Must sound killer with the Evo.

Rastachild, I didn't know the JS's had a more rounded radius. I always figured it was similar to an RG. I'll have to try one sometime.
post #24 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:27 PM

agreed. Strats are amazing guitars. You can't not love the strat's clean tone. I have a JEM, and a 80s MIJ strat. I'd pick my strat over my JEM ANYDAY for that awesome clean tone.

Seriously, you kids that hate on the strats have your heads way far up Ibanez's ass. Just cuz the strat looks "old school" doesn't make it any worse than modern guitars. My god, don't tell me about your friends squire. That's as good as trying to represent Ibanez with a GRX model. The strats are a legendary line of guitars that need to be appreciated more by the younger generations. I can't stand how so many young guitarists jump on the ibanez/ESP bandwagon these days.

note: The single coil vs. Hum debate is old, and stupid.
post #25 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Nah, she's beautiful...
post #26 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:15 PM

Reviews: 5

Love the hell out of my stratocaster. For what it is- you couldn't ask for more.

I paid $260 for it, and got a gorgeous smooth maple neck, sage green metallic finish, and some great sounds. It's funny that anyone playing an Ibanez might bash a Fender since both the RG and JEM are built on the foundation laid by the Fender Stratocaster.

It's never going to be a shred machine, but for the days when you just want to play some gorgeous shimmering chords or some bluesy lead playing, the notch positions on a Fender Strat are perfect.

Last edited by jem7vwh; 09-10-2008 at 03:37 AM.
post #27 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice guitar man. The color is really different and that fretboard is super dark for Rosewood. Must sound killer with the Evo.
Thanks, and yes it does sound amazing. I can get almost anything out of it.

You reminded of one of my strongest points: the rosewood. Strats have some of the most amazing fretboards I've seen. The rosewood is always tight and ultra smooth, perfect grain, even on my MIC Squire. The rosewood is also my biggest complaint on Ibanez guitars. Love em, but I was spoiled having a strat first, and the Ibbys are no comparison, even on the nicer models. Might have something to do w/ the fact they are built on different ends of the globe...

I'd also like to try a JS, I'm searching for the most strat-like Ibanez neck I can find :P and the JS seems like a good shot: 6105 frets, tight radius, etc.

Edit: After reading jem7vhw's post, I gotta say that strats can do shred as good as any. Of all my guitars, Im fastest on my strat, no lie. I know Chris Impelitterri(!) will back me on this, he plays completely stock strats all the time, including on some instuctional vids.
post #28 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:59 PM

I set up 5 strats at work the other day - two American Standards, a Powerhouse Strat, a Highway 1 and an American Deluxe HSS. The first four needed various levels of work but the Deluxe was one of the best guitars I've ever played, straight out of the box, and the sound was amazing. I'd never really considered buying a Strat before - well I briefly flirted with the idea of buying a pair of Mexican teles as live guitars to bash around - but this one was so good it made me reconsider my Strat stance.
post #29 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Dee

Quote:
Also I have a strat with vintage single coils that LOVE gain. When I add tons of gain the guitar just screams, cuts through any mix, sounds heavy as hell.
I have two words for anyone who says single coils are useless with gain:

Jimi Hendrix.
post #30 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 02:50 PM

I'll jump in here. I have an american deluxe Hss strat. Amber with locking tuners and lsr roller nut, SCN noisless hot singles and a enforcer HB. This thing is amazing. I bought it because of how the neck felt, i didn't even plug it in until I got home. This thing kills for tone, it is THE tone for me. The locking tuners and roller nut keep it in tune as well as any floyd guitar, with a little loss in versitility. I had to sell my FP to stratosqueeeg because I was neglecting her. For me I evolved from Charvels to Jems to Strats... weird I know, but the tone!!

BTW my rig is Strat-> Visual Sound rt-66 od-> Bad horsie ->Digitech DS-7 -> Line 6 dl-4 -> Mesa Lonestar special 112 widebody. LOVE IT!

Tags
alder body , basswood bodies , basswood body , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , classic strat , clean tone , coil pickup , custom ibanez , custom shop , david mccarroll , deluxe strat , ebony board , ebony fingerboard , ebony fretboard , eric johnson , eric johnson signature , evo bridge , evolution pickups , fat strat , fender fat strat , fender strat , fender stratocaster , fender strats , floyd rose , floyd rose bridge , fret neck , fruity loops , gold lace sensors , graphite nut , heavy metal , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jeff beck , jeff beck strat , jimi hendrix , jumbo frets , kahler trem , lace sensor , lace sensors , les paul , locking tuners , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , medium jumbo frets , mij strat , music store , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , neck shape , olympic white , paf pro , pearloid pickguard , scalloped neck , schaller tuners , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , shred machine , signature strat , squier strat , stevie ray , strat sound , strat tone , strat trem , string guitars , string tree , tube amp , vintage strat , vintage style trem , vintage trem , white pickguard , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode