Let's share some guitar tips - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Let's share some guitar tips

Ok, I thought we could have a thread to share some tips for our Ibanez guitars. Ok here's mine :-

To restore your maple neck (Wizard, or any maple neck for that matter), to get rid of that sticky, glossy shine that builds up over the years, I use a green scourer, the kind you get on the back of those yellow sponges. It totally restores the satin, matt finish, without any damage at all. I've been doing this for years. It makes the neck feel like it was when it was brand new.

Enjoy!!

(This is for the back of the neck, not a maple fretboard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Dee

Re: Let's share some guitar tips

Wouldn't steel wool work better?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:10 PM

to put a new logo on a ibanez guitar or any other that has a silk screened logo on top of the clear coat. You can buy scuff remover for shoes it works like a charm.. Comes right off..

Last edited by ibanezcollector; 02-01-2007 at 09:15 PM.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Now this is a thread that would benefit wonders with pics
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

*Wouldn't steel wool work better?*

It works just as well. Not everyone has steel wool to hand and as everyone has a scourer, I thought it could be of some benefit.

Last edited by RGR570; 02-01-2007 at 09:19 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:30 PM

I thought that having a neck without any sort of finish on it was bad? I have an RG550 with a particular sticky neck. I wanted to remove the stickiness, but I thought that this would allow moisture to enter the neck, thus potentially causing problems, warpage, etc.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I thought that having a neck without any sort of finish on it was bad? I have an RG550 with a particular sticky neck. I wanted to remove the stickiness, but I thought that this would allow moisture to enter the neck, thus potentially causing problems, warpage, etc.
It doesn't 'remove' the finish, rather returning it to the the original satin/matt feel. I've been doing it for years.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:40 PM

if you are going to use steel wool make sure its 0000 ga otherwise you will remove finish even with 0000ga you will take the shine down to a flat sheen..

When I do my relic work the first thing I do is rub out the whole finish with 0000ga steel wool it takes a brand new factory mirror finish down to a flat in no time.. Using it consistently will eventually wear thru the clear coat and to bare wood.. So use precaution its fine like RGR570 cause he only does it every so often when gunk is present.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
if you are going to use steel wool make sure its 0000 ga otherwise you will remove finish even with 0000ga you will take the shine down to a flat sheen..

When I do my relic work the first thing I do is rub out the whole finish with 0000ga steel wool it takes a brand new factory mirror finish down to a flat in no time.. Using it consistently will eventually wear thru the clear coat and to bare wood.. So use precaution its fine like RGR570 cause he only does it every so often when gunk is present.
Exactly, up and down lightly, in the direction of the grain, works a treat. Plus the scourers aren't really that abrasive, works a treat. Any more tips, anyone?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Sorry, but to tell you the truth, I have no idea as to what a scourer is... I have plenty of 0000 steel wool around here, and it works great for me.

I don't really know any tricks or tips that I could tell anyone here that they don't already know or can't find out. I can just give advice as to what works for me, and that's probably not much either!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 PM

A simple one everyone probably knows and uses:

For double locking trems, trim the strings to size and use the ball ends at the headstock. No winding required, and it makes it super stable.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:50 PM

another tip for floyd guitars i'm also sure most of you do already.

always pack the trem cavity with foam or tissue paper, to prevent having built in reverb.

if your not already doing this do it now!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:01 PM

But I like reverb, I'll take all I can get!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 PM

Reviews: 120

Another thing for string noise, etc is sticking rubber tubing in the springs. Works wonders and boosts the tone. I started doing this a couple years ago after my old guitar teacher showed me this while setting up my guitar. Works for any spring loaded trem.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
But I like reverb, I'll take all I can get!
i like reverb but i did it to kill those "CLANG!!" noises from the cavity that happen occasionaly

Tags
cavity cover , clear coat , guitar tech , ibanez guitars , locking trems , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , palm muting , retainer bar , steel wool , string stretching , thin wizard neck , tung oil , wound strings , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode