Lets talk neck finishes!!!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Lets talk neck finishes!!!!!

Ok people.

Im contemplating what to do with My Jackson Soloist SL1.

I wanna send it to Jeremy in the next little while and have him redo it. But I dont know what to do with the neck.

I hate painted, nuff said.

tung oil, satin, ...??

I want protection, and a smooth feel. What would YOU do?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 10:32 AM

This may be better in the tech section?...but I just refinished a neck back with Winwax wipe-on Poly satin. After sanding the previous finish off I used three coats, sanding with 320 (220 probably would have been better) and then 0000 steel wool...and did a final last sanding after the last coat. It was easy to do and I'm extremely happy with the results...it's not perfect (partly due to the fact that I was trying to work around the serial sticker on the stock), but it feels almost just like a Prestige finish. Tung oil is another good option, but I don't think you'll get the same protective effect as with the poly, at least accroding to Warmoth:

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/paint.htm

Either way, all the best with your project!
Greg
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 3
I've always felt really strongly about having no finish on a neck. Every guitar I own gets a nice fine grit sand job and a little lemon oil rub down. Silky smooth.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Gkerlm, did you entirely sand off the finish, or did you leave paint on and apply the satin over the paint. If it wasnt a painted neck, NM
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 09:09 AM

It was not painted...it was a 540S that needed a neck repair, so I sanded off the original clear, did the repair, then refin'd.
Greg
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 06:20 PM

I paint all mine, put 30 lbs. of clear on, then apply a thick layer of candle wax

Tags
jackson soloist , steel wool , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode