Like a sore thumb - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 AM

Re: Like a sore thumb

Is it true that Japanese Fenders are very inexpensive there? My college buddy says they are not that good and very inexpensive. I thought Japanese Fenders were supposed to be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:00 AM

I had one or two and it/they were really nice guitars
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Like a sore thumb

The only reason to change a guitar is if it adversely affects your wallet...

If the pay doesn't change because of it, then fvck 'em...
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

They Japanese Fenders are on par witht he highway ones as far as build quality. So slightly below an American standard. The prices are good too.

I went to a guitar store today to check out a bunch of things. After being around a ton of guys playing guitars that were designed 50 years ago I decided it's RG for me in every situation besides acoustic and Jazz, although I can't play jazz well enough to say that.

I played a J-Custom, 8570 I think. Very nice looking with an orange flamed maple top. Although the appointments of that J-Custom were great, frets finish quality etc. My RG plays as nicely and feels more mine than that gutiar did. Sound wise, the JC was better but, I still have yet to order my DiMarzio's. Playing that today just made me realize how much I love my guitar compared to all other guitars.

I ain't changing for anyone. I don't like to swear so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post

If the pay doesn't change because of it, then fvck 'em...
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
F'em. I love my Ibanez.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM

Just get a push/pull coil tap for the humbucker and have all the Strat tones you'll ever need at your fingertips... And an other idea: If you want it to be more classic looking, get a perloid HSS pickguard for it Insant Strat look without changing a thing!
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Like a sore thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
I don't like to swear
I got your back brother, you let me know when you need some good old fashioned cussing...
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:30 PM

By the way, you can't tell what an instrument looks like on a recording.

I think what your instrument looks like (or "should" look like) depends on what sort of audience you are hoping to play for. If you're playing for a more conservative audience, maybe you want more conservative stuff. Or if you are playing for a wilder bunch, it would be just the opposite. If you were playing Beach Boys tunes for a surf-themed graduation party, I don't think a Steinberger would be your instrument of choice.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
...killer IMO for anything (except death metal) ...
So it has been decided that your guitar it therefore NOT metal. Don't worry about what others think, because if you start you won't be happy with you (and you'll be broke). I glad to hear that you are not going to change for anyone. Stay strong and keep playing!
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was just talking about my setup. As of right now, my distortion pedal and such don't give me a death metal tone. But my guitar can do it, my distortion pedal, however, can't.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 PM

I really would't worry - besides, a Salmon Pink (Fiesta Red actually) Fender Jaguar ain't actually the most appropriate axe to be belting out Foo Fighter songs with in any case!

If you love the guitar, and the noise you/it make is appropriate for the music you do, then keep doing it.

Buddy Miller is probably the finest country/roots guitar player in the world, he SHOULD be playing a Fender Telecaster, but nope, Buddy follows Buddy's rules, and plays these incredibly obscure plastic/aluminium composite Italian guitars called Wandres - and of course he sounds sensational, AND because he sounds that little bit different to everyone else, he's become one of the most sought after session players in the US - of course he also happens to be a phenomenal musician, but hey, you get the idea!
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
I really would't worry - besides, a Salmon Pink (Fiesta Red actually) Fender Jaguar ain't actually the most appropriate axe to be belting out Foo Fighter songs with in any case!

If you love the guitar, and the noise you/it make is appropriate for the music you do, then keep doing it.

No, I know it's not Fiesta Red but I was wrong it's Shell Pink. See:

Come on man I can tell between pink and red, I'm not color blind.

Also, we don't cover the Foo Fighters I was just saying we were similar in Genre.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM

I LOVE shell pink strats. Especially old, beatup /reliced looking ones. The one in that pic looks it's sporting an ebony board, as well. Another nice touch
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Reviews: 25

The only reason you would change guitars, is if your band was being controlled by a record company and told you that you all have to match or your clothes need to look alike, to target an audience. Otherwise enjoy the freedom you have of being able to express yourself in your choice of equipment and colors.

Its one of the only true freedoms you have when playing covers....

I'm sure most people who come to see your band enjoy looking at interesting instruments...

Tags
beautiful guitar , coil tap , david mccarroll , death metal , distortion pedal , ebony board , fender telecaster , flamed maple , fret access , iron maiden , les paul , mexican strat , playing guitar , pull coil , pull coil tap , stevie ray , strat tone , super strat , swirled jem , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode