Like a sore thumb - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Like a sore thumb

In my band I stick out like a sore thumb.

Singer: a Salmon Pink Fender Jaguar.
Bassist: a Tobbaco burst Fender P-bass.
Me: A Grape Ice RG560

I know that my guitar is awesome, I love it, but i still feel like I don't fit in with them. We just play rock like the Foo Fighters and I don't ever shred. At home I shred and play metal for my solo stuff. So before i was in the band I never thought about this.

It just makes me think some times that I should have a Strat or something. Does anyone else eve feel like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 AM

Re: Like a sore thumb

No.....don't give in to the dark side!!!!!

Be yourself.....and be happy to be yourself!!!!

And be content to know you have superior equipment
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm really shallow. I don't want to change at all. I just wanted to know if anyone else felt that pressure. They look at me like "we are rock, not metal."

Japan is a very image concious place so it's just a wierd thing to me.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:04 AM

I used that as an excuse to buy an excessive number of guitars - Stats, LP, various Ibz etc. Thing is, most of the time I still just grab the UV7PWH.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 AM

That's a strange mentality!!! In that case, as Clapton and Stevie Ray played blues on a Strat...then that would make it a blues guitar!!

And as Dave Murray has played a Strat in Iron Maiden then that would make it a "metal" guitar!!

And so on and so forth

RG's are awesome and versatile and cannot be labelled. They are not merely a "metal" guitar
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, but that's just it. Honestly, in Japan a lot of it is more about your image than your talent or education. I have met at least five people that say "I play music, it's my life." And then when I talk with them or play with them, they haven't got a clue what a key, mode, or even a chord in 1 or 2 cases is. I'm not making it up. Someone told me they have been playing for 13 years and he couldn't even play a 4 chord rythm pattern because he didn't know how to play regular barre chords. And I'm no amazing player. I can't read music and I can't do half of the stuff they average player on this forum could, but I know enough to play nearly any genre. And If I applied myslef I feel I could eventually learn any song. But, virtuosity isn't in me at all. But, he had the jacket, the pants, the shoes and the hairstyle to say "I'm in a band." Not to mention the Les Paul. It's like how high school was but it last throughout your whole life.

Which brings me to another thing: if it ain't Fender or Gibson many people here don't buy it. Yeah, people have said to me "why don't you play a better guitar?" 'Cause we all know that Mexican Strat or Korean Epiphone is much better than my Japanese 1991 RG560. Even in Japan it is true that the largest groups of musicians buy Fender an Gibson and think of Ibanez as a sub-brand. Which is why I don't understand why J-Customs are only sold here when the vast majority of guitarists don't respect the quality of a J-Custom.

Back on topic though. I just wanted to talk about it. I think it's lame that I feel the pressure, but I really do and I'm always thinking about it.

Plus, you all are my guitar buddies, so naturally I'd want to talk about this with you all.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

I should say though in my bands defense they have never said anything to me about it. And the Jaguar is very nice, Fender Japan. The P-Bass is American. These aren't crappy instruments. And they aren't who I was talking about in the huge post above.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:46 AM

If you love your guitar then stick with it. I play a JEM7vwh in a band where the singer/guitarist plays a Tele and the bass player is all Fender and G&L. F'em. I love my Ibanez. Although I must admit I also play Strats - I love those too!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:09 AM

I play Jems and an RG in band that plays rock music, in fact as the average age of the band is 50+ most of our set is from the 1970s! I really like the fact that I'm playing comfortably Numb on a pink swirled Jem777 or Alright Now on a BFP!
Stick with it my friend, *never* bow to peer pressure, be an individual and do your own thing!
Jim
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vim Fuego View Post
Stick with it my friend, *never* bow to peer pressure, be an individual and do your own thing!
Jim
Yeah, I know man. Thanks guys it helps to have people tell me how it is.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 AM

I mean, maybe I could see a slight argument if you were playing a guitar that is more obviously image related. It is a super strat, it is hardly a particularly gaudy looking guitar. Whatever guitar you are most comfortable playing is what you should go for.

Personally, I also think the Jaguar is a pretty ugly guitar.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
I mean, maybe I could see a slight argument if you were playing a guitar that is more obviously image related. It is a super strat, it is hardly a particularly gaudy looking guitar. Whatever guitar you are most comfortable playing is what you should go for.

Personally, I also think the Jaguar is a pretty ugly guitar.
I didn't mean beautiful guitars just "rock" guitars. Mine, to them, looks "metal."
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 PM

yup sound like you need a strat with a zebra top

stain it yellow!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 01:09 PM

personally, i have different guitars for different styles/tones. i have hollowbodies, semi-hollows, strats, LP styles, rg's, s's, 80's hairband superstrats, and getting a talman for indie...danelectro tones. for you i actually would recommend the strat. find a good strat and drop a good set of pickups and your good to go. strat's are workhorses anyway. all my strats cn do anything. i have hot rails in each and they have really good single coils in them to go from sparkling clean, blues, jass, country, pop, indie, rock, to raging metal if i need. the only bummer is really just the limited fret access. sounds like in your band, you really won't use the upper frets much anyway.
if you want to compromise between the rg and strat, i HIGHLY recommend the ibanez rt series. it's basically the spawn of a strat and rg. i have 2. an rt650 and rt150(waiting on refin) and they definitely bridge the gap nicely. if you want a strat, but need it to say ibanez on the headstock, the late 90's blazers are great, too. 22 fret axes, with massive tonal versatility in the pickups and wiring. just more options. i will agree with you that most people are more down with image than talent. its just the adage of style over substance. hard to escape. i did use an rg in my old pop group, tho. it was the rg3120 and rgt3120. the maple tops made them a classier looking axe so that they weren't construed as "metal" guitars so directly.

rich
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

That is good advice but my RG is HSS.

So I already have hum and single coil tones. As well as 24 frets and all. I honestly think there isn't a tone I can't get from my guitar. NOt to mention I don't have the money to buy more guitars.

It isn't a tone thing, because my tone is killer IMO for anything (except death metal) it was just how I look up there with everyone else.

Tags
beautiful guitar , coil tap , david mccarroll , death metal , distortion pedal , ebony board , fender telecaster , flamed maple , fret access , iron maiden , les paul , mexican strat , playing guitar , pull coil , pull coil tap , stevie ray , strat tone , super strat , swirled jem , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode