A little piece of the 80's - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Post A little piece of the 80's

This was an unintentional restoration. I was at a local guitar shop when some guy brought this in trying to get a few bucks. He got a few bucks and I got this....

Being a child of the 80's, it was a no-brainer. I grew up on Poison, Van Halen, Quiet Riot, and Motley Cre and this looked like it fell off a tour bus at a glam metal festival. I didn't really know what it was exactly, but I liked it!

It took a few days of scouring the Internet before I found vintagekramer.com and found the first clues. What tipped me off was a pic on the site of a Nightswan I with the same finish being played by Vivian Campbell. Also, I found the 7/8ths body shape on the Liberty and Stagemaster models. So it's a Kramer. That's about all I'm sure of, since there's no real consistency in Kramers from year to year unfortunately. So, I haven't been able to nail down a solid ID.

ID or no, it needed a neck. Anyone who has looked into replacement parts for vintage Kramers know all about sticker shock. A lot of these cost as much as some stock guitars. Luckily, a friend of mine owns a custom shop and we were able to find a neck that fit and felt right. Found a nice badass inlay shape too! Gotta stay true to the theme.

The only real finishing was the headstock. Just a light sand, primer, and paint to get her nice and shiny.

The biggest pain was finding a good authentic headstock decal. I tried a couple different waterslides from fleabay, but they were all low-quality laser printed crap. I finally came across meanstguitars who do really nice vinyls. A couple hours with an 11-blade scalpel and I was able to trim away the transparent bits and place the decal.

Sexy, no?

I cleared it with ACE hi-gloss poly. The hardest part was waiting between coats and sanding. When it was set, I scuffed it out with 1500 grit and used turtle wax rubbing compound followed by same brand swirl remover to shine her up.

The hardware all came from fleabay and new stuff I had on hand. I set her up with a FRII bridge with a homemade trem-stop with all black hardware minus the chrome bridge.

For pickups, I went with 2 stacked fender strat singles. And a Dimarzio Evolution I for the bridge. I was leaning towards the Seymour Duncan JB, or the Dimarzio Super Distortion, but the harmonics from the Evo were too sweet not to use.

Here's a couple final shots....

Here's the neckplate, I used a plastic guard for it, and gave it the black gloss.

And the nifty trem-tool holder!

All I'm missing is a control cavity cover. None I've come across seem to fit.

It was a labor of love, and she looks great and sounds like a spandex-clad banshee screaming a Cinderella cover! I wish I knew a bit more about it, but I'm happy with how she turned out. I really wasn't expecting this much tone and character out of a god-knows how old guitar body that I literally just bumped into one day.

Thanks for listening to my story!

Last edited by ProgressiveHillbilly; 06-17-2013 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Photo fail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Re: A little piece of the 80's

Pix fixed
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 AM

Nice! I've always loved the crackle finishes from back then.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:32 AM

Excellent! My first electric in 1989 had a crackle finish, so I'm way on board.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Rockin!!!! Nice work
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: A little piece of the 80's

I had a crackle finished Ibanez till it got stolen when I lived in Lubbock Texas!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM

sweet! I remember those daze.....

funny how sometimes a thrown together axe can just play and sound amazing.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: A little piece of the 80's

It is a cool axe! yet, I feel it should be sporting a Charvel neck... (I would almost bet the body is a Charvel) It turned out rad though, but I would have gone with black hardware instead of chrome.

My 2 Cents!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:45 PM

when I 1st saw it I was gonna say, "Series 10"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

It is black hardware just the trem is chrome.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 6

not a charvel...body shape isn't right for a charvel...looks like a later kramer (similar to a showster series because of the bevels on the body)...d.m.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the local Kramer nut said it was pre music.yo (sp?) and the crackle was only from the Kramer custom shop before Neptune folded. He said it was a Stagemaster body but its missing the coil tap switch hole. The control placement besides the tap matches a Stagey Deluxe II. His best guess was 87-88.

I was 10 or 11 at the time so I can't remember. But now I'm getting more curious!

Last edited by ProgressiveHillbilly; 06-17-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Kant speel.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM

I don't recall ever seeing a crackle Kramer, weird.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 AM

Striker:
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

That looks like my girl! Is this one yours GUITARMAGEDDON?

Tags
80's , hair metal , kramer , restoration , shred guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode