Which locking tuners will fit an RG 421? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By FalloutMaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Which locking tuners will fit an RG 421?

Hey all, I'm looking to replace the tuners on my '17 RG 421, since they are a little clunky to use, so I figured I may as well got some locking tuners if I'm going to spend the money (for ease of string changes). Anyone know from experience which brands will fit without modification, if any? I really don't want to have to drill a hole in the neck for a set screw. I've heard Carvin/Kiesel tuners are direct fit but I can't find any solid info on this, anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Got a picture of your current tuners? If the quality MIJ gotoh ones (10mm hole with 45-degree set screw) then Gotoh locking tuners for sure fit. Also 99.9% certain D'Addario Planet Waves Auto Trim are direct swap (Ibanez has used these with their logo).
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ines-6-in-line
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: Which locking tuners will fit an RG 421?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Got a picture of your current tuners? If the quality MIJ gotoh ones (10mm hole with 45-degree set screw) then Gotoh locking tuners for sure fit. Also 99.9% certain D'Addario Planet Waves Auto Trim are direct swap (Ibanez has used these with their logo).
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...ines-6-in-line
From what I see, all gotoh tuners use the set screw type, mine do not. Here is a photo of them(https://i.imgur.com/x8RdcDU.jpg)! It's a made in Indonesia Ibby, so I don't think the tuners are brand-name. They appear to be the tuners that have the little pegs that set them in place. I may have to take one off to be sure what it looks like though...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 AM
site founder 0% owner

OK, I wouldn't get hung up on the set screws. What i would do i if it were my axe is remove a tuning peg and first measure the diameter of the hole/opening. If it's 10mm then get one of the ones (or others) linked. The small set screw adds literally 1-2 minutes to the install.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM

Are you finding the tuners are slipping? If so they may just need tightening up and that may help your issues. In my experience the standard hardware is pretty robust and I've not heard of many folks having to swap tuners. Should be a fairly easy job to do yourself though as long as you get the correct fitting ones...

'87
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
OK, I wouldn't get hung up on the set screws. What i would do i if it were my axe is remove a tuning peg and first measure the diameter of the hole/opening. If it's 10mm then get one of the ones (or others) linked. The small set screw adds literally 1-2 minutes to the install.
I'm just a little worried that I'll mess it up somehow and drill the hole too deep or in the wrong place lol. I'm sure it can't be too difficult, I'm just paranoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
Are you finding the tuners are slipping? If so they may just need tightening up and that may help your issues. In my experience the standard hardware is pretty robust and I've not heard of many folks having to swap tuners. Should be a fairly easy job to do yourself though as long as you get the correct fitting ones...

'87
I generally check and tighten the tuning machines whenever I change strings. Mostly I've been having problems keeping it in tune the past couple months, and they aren't the smoothest tuning machines. The ones on my Strat are real easy to use, but these ones can be finicky, and I often go past the pitch I'm trying to get to. It's not super crucial, but given that it's a hard tail I feel it could stay in tune a little better; plus I love how easy locking tuners are when changing strings.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:17 PM
site founder 0% owner

there is no reason to be fearful of the install, it's rather fool proof. Once the tuner is tight from above and aligned you can simply use a small finishing nail (or equivalent screw) to indent the wood to get started then just screw in the set screw in.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
there is no reason to be fearful of the install, it's rather fool proof. Once the tuner is tight from above and aligned you can simply use a small finishing nail (or equivalent screw) to indent the wood to get started then just screw in the set screw in.
Thanks, I have the gotoh tuning machines on the way!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:21 PM

Reviews: 120

Just be wary of the screws, they are made of very soft metal. Get a drill bit a little smaller than the diameter of the thread on them, mark the depth with some tape, so you don't overshoot and risk going through the headstock. Just put the screw against the bit and mark off with the tape where the head starts. Drill the pilot holes and then be very careful screwing them in. It's still very easy to round out the head.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Vendor

^^^^^
They'll twist in half trying to put them in a hole too small.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, install went super smooth. Ended up tightening them on with the nut on the front of the head stock and using a very thin awl to make the pilot holes, then just careful screwed them in by hand with a #0 phillips. Easier than I thought it would be! Guitar stays perfectly in tune even with brand new strings, which is perfect. Problem solved.
jemsite likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:01 AM
site founder 0% owner

good to hear

Tags
ibanez , locking tuners , tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode