Long lost USA Ibanez "Mace bailey" Reb Beach Voyager prototype #3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

delete

Thanks for info.

Last edited by LuckyDogGuitars; 09-28-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Re: Long lost USA Ibanez "Mace bailey" Reb Beach Voyager prototype #3

nice find.... I bet she's beast
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Vendor

The body is Japanese not LACS. The neck could have been put on that body at any time in it's life by Rebs tech, or it could have been adapted by LACS. The only ones that would know for sure would be in Rebs camp and these kind of details are usually long forgotten or remembered slightly different.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 AM

Agree with Rich, that's basically a production body. The LACS bodies are pretty different and usually had a Floyd. Also the Lo Pro would have to be a replacement, since the first year guitars had the Edge. Would be interested in seeing more pics of the neck, specifically the front and back of the headstock.

Also if you decide to sell, I'd be interested in talking.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Bunch of pics posted above now. Sorry it took me so long to take more
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Very interesting. Looks like a 1992 build. Could explain why they're mating a custom shop neck to stock body. Also explains the Lo Pro trem.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Vendor

90', 9/28/90. That neck was on at least a few bodies before resting with that one.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

I guess its possible this trem was a "prototype" at the time as well.... Because Ibanez released the 1st Lo-Pro trem on 1991 guitars. This guitar was built for Reb in 1990. Anyone know how I could get ahold of Mace Bailey these days?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 PM
Vendor

That neck could have been put on that body in 1990 or 1999, this is more an assembly of parts to complete a guitar, probably to sell. Just a feeling.

The neck wood is not what I'd expect, the Japanese necks were outstanding Bolivian. What is unique is the volute 1 piece instead of scarf joint.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Vendor

That would have been considered a poor neck joint mate for the time period, reminiscent of the USRG's. Factory would have been much better

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Keep in mind. This wasn't some random eBay / pawn shop / guitar shop purchase. This came from one of the most highly respected recording engineers in the rock music industry, and it had been in his possession since way back when it was created. It is in it's original form that it was when he obtained it from Mace back in the early 90's. There is some documentation around about 3 of the prototypes having more exotic tops and one being a plain top.

I do agree that it appears Mace used this neck on multiple bodies as can be seen in the dowel holes. I find it interesting that body says "sample". I've owned a lot of Ibanez guitars & never seen or heard of one that said that.

I've got emails out to some other folks on this guitar as well & will share as I find more info. Until then appreciate everyone's feedback.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Vendor

I still surmise that was a parts creation, an assemblage of parts. which happens alot with artists guitars. I've seen plenty of Sample stamps and how you know the body is Fujigen, I've seen plenty more just ganji hand written in pen with no stamps. It is what it is, unless you find pics of Reb actually playing it, and wood grain is particular and easy to match up, it's just going to always have alot of questions and mostly speculation.

I see Mace at NAMM every few years, he's still somewhere in the LA area working as a mechanic.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Vendor

On a 98' currently in inventory

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
90', 9/28/90. That neck was on at least a few bodies before resting with that one.
Got it. I was reading it like the Hosono UCEW's: year followed by sequential serial number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That neck could have been put on that body in 1990 or 1999, this is more an assembly of parts to complete a guitar, probably to sell. Just a feeling.

The neck wood is not what I'd expect, the Japanese necks were outstanding Bolivian. What is unique is the volute 1 piece instead of scarf joint.
Yeah, the 1-piece neck is really cool.

My guess here is that it's an early production sample body that they put that neck on. Timeline with the neck would line up. Trem would have come along later or was possibly a Floyd at some point.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Here are some pics I have of one of the LACS guitars (1/25/90 production). This one has a more "standard" control layout compared some of the other ones. Also has the production output jack location. You can see how much pointier the horns are on the prototype, how much thicker the top is and how wildly sculpted the neck joint is.

Catalog guitar is a different guitar. Totally weird control layout, Edge trem, volume knob nearly touching the pickup ring and output jack in the typical RG location.

Tags
bailey , mace , reb beach , voyager

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode