Looking for advice on fixed bridge RGs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice on fixed bridge RGs

I really would like to buy a nice RG, but there are so many models, I can't get my head around them. So I would like to ask you to help me find some suitable models.

Here's a list of things I want in guitar:

Must have:

• Made in Japan.
  • Humbuckers in bridge and neck position.
  • Fixed bridge.

Compromises:

• 6 strings. It's not a deal breaker, I may consider 7 string, but 6 is preferred.
  • Baritone scale. It's not a deal breaker, I may consider baritone, but 25,5" is preferred.
  • HSH pickup configuration. It's not a deal breaker, I may consider HSH, but HH is preferred.
  • Non-hardtail fixed bridges. It's not a deal breaker, I may consider Gibraltars and other fixed bridges, but hardtail is preferred.
  • Pickguards. It's not a deal breaker, I may consider models with pickguards, but no pickguard is preferred.

Based on the list of requirements I found that Ibanez RG621 would be perfect for me, but it's extremely rare.
So if you know the model that would fit there, or even have one for sale - let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:07 PM

Re: Looking for advice on fixed bridge RGs

The RGA121 is much more common. I have owned a few of those as well as the RGA321, which was my favorite Ibanez fixed bridge. There are usually a few on Ebay and Reverb at any given time.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Look for the RG 421 as well. There's also a 521, but it's a fujigen & will cost considerably more coin.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
The RGA121 is much more common. I have owned a few of those as well as the RGA321, which was my favorite Ibanez fixed bridge. There are usually a few on Ebay and Reverb at any given time.
Thanks!
I thought about RGA, and I like them, but there's a few "buts":

• I own couple of mahogany/archtop guitars already, and I prefer to have classic basswood/flat RG.
  • They seem to be too expensive. RGA121 usually costs reasonable 600-900 USD, but RGA321 is always anywhere between 1k and 2.5k.

I guess I'll keep looking for humble flat RG without maple tops, and if I won't find anything worthy - I'll get back to RGAs.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
Look for the RG 421 as well. There's also a 521, but it's a fujigen & will cost considerably more coin.
RG421 is Indonesia. MIJ is must have for me.
I think I will have to settle on 521, because there's a lot of them out there available, but still I want hardtail over Gibraltar.

Do you know if Gibraltar screw holes align with hardtail bridge? Is there a direct replacement for Gibraltars?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:09 AM

I don't know if screw holes line up or not. I personally prefer the Gibraltar over the hard tail, especially with thicker strings. I think they have a greater intonation adjustment range.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 AM

For MIJ, I would recommend looking at the RG652 series. The RG652AHMFX and RGR652AHBF are identical, except that the AHMFX has dimarzio tone zone/air norton pickups, and the color is different, and the AHBF has a reverse headstock, and dimarzio fusion edge pickups.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostia View Post
RG421 is Indonesia. MIJ is must have for me.
The first 1-2 years of RG421 production were Japanese (Fujigen) made. My 2002 RG421 is Japanese built with F02... serial number. Later they switched to other factories, mahogany body, and somewhere along the line the model number morphed to 321. I can't remember the specifics.

Last edited by stratoskier; 05-07-2019 at 08:07 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
The first 1-2 years of RG421 production were Japanese (Fujigen) made. My 2002 RG421 is Japanese built with F02... serial number. Later they switched to other factories, mahogany body, and somewhere along the line the model number morphed to 321. I can't remember the specifics.
Cool, thanks, never knew that.
Even Ibanez wiki never mentions those early 421s. Will keep an eye on them too!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byle View Post
For MIJ, I would recommend looking at the RG652 series. The RG652AHMFX and RGR652AHBF are identical, except that the AHMFX has dimarzio tone zone/air norton pickups, and the color is different, and the AHBF has a reverse headstock, and dimarzio fusion edge pickups.
Those are good, but because they are new they're all rather pricey. I hoped to score some 90s-00s RG for 500-800 USD.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostia View Post
Cool, thanks, never knew that.
Even Ibanez wiki never mentions those early 421s. Will keep an eye on them too!
Actually, it may have just been the 2002 run that was Fujigen built. Looking at the old catalogs, I don't see the 421 listed in the 2001 catalog, and in 2003 the model number was changed to RG321, although the specs appear to be the same as the 2002 RG421 (the mahogany body on the 321s came later). I don't remember where those 2003 RG321s were made.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM

I just picked up an RGR652AHBF and it is rock solid.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLizzy View Post
I just picked up an RGR652AHBF and it is rock solid.
I'm seriously considering it too, looks absolutely beautiful. Also I love swamp ash. All of my builds and partcasters are ash. There's something magical in it's texture.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:00 AM

RG1421, I own one and it's great, think it fits all your criteria. Dunno how rare they are now but I got mine for quite cheap back in the day.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
RG1421, I own one and it's great, think it fits all your criteria. Dunno how rare they are now but I got mine for quite cheap back in the day.
Yup, this model is rare too.
I start to think it's a brand strategy for Ibanez - if a model has good specs, it should be rare as hell.

Tags
fixed bridge , hardtail , rg621

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode