Looking for an affordable, dark sounding acoustic. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Looking for an affordable, dark sounding acoustic.

Hey guys! Another stupid thread from Jemsite's favorite moron!

This time, I'm looking for an acoustic. Something affordable ($500 at most. Used is okay too). I want it to have a very full and dark tone. I know that the tone also depends on the kinds of strings you use, but I'll worry about that later.

I played a Seagull Entourage something. It had about 5 or 6 numbers in the model name. It was about $375 or so and it played and sounded WONDERFUL. But I didn't have any money at the time and someone bought it. It was really, REALLY dark and full sounding. But the neck wasn't to my taste and the string spacing was a little too close.

So do you guys have any other models that might work for me?

Oh, as for neck feel, I like a round neck that's not too horribly thick. Very low shoulders. And a wide neck. I have fairly skinny fingers but I'm not a great acoustic/chord player so I need a little bit of breathing room. It's not a deal breaker though.

So to sum it up: Dark, affordable ($500 max), quality and very playable.

Thanks a lot guys!
-Damien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Looking for an affordable, dark sounding acoustic.

Dark?
You know just.............

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Are you looking for a straight up acoustic, or is an acoustic/electric a consideration?
With an acoustic/electric, you'll have an EQ to help darken the tone.
Concerning Seagull--those are fabulous! Sound and play great.
Another consideration is Blueridge. They are basically pre-war Martins without the price tag. They used to be dirt cheap, but have gone up considerably. You may find an inexpensive used one.

Oh, and Treva--what the hell are you doing in here? You've got company (o)Y(o)....lol.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Hmm your (o)Y(o) look like ......

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking for either an Acoustic or an Acoustic Electric. But I'd prefer the guitar to truely sound darker. Not with just some EQ. Because I won't always be using an amp with it.

But I'll definitely look into those suggestions, thanks!

And f**k off Treva

By the way, did you know that your name is like a ghetto version of the English name "Trevor"?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

And does anyone know what that Entourage model might be? I know that it started with a 9. It might have been the Mini Jumbo but I can't remember.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

I found a few that I like that I'd like to ask you about. . . .

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C350

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C350S

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C250S

The C350 and C350S are all mahogany and the C250S is Mahogany with a Cedar top. So they should all be very dark and full sounding. But how is the quality? I typically trust Carvin when it comes to quality but it's always good to ask!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

i'm mainly looking at the C350 (I heard clips and it sounded nice and full and dark!) and I'm guessing that it's definitely a quality guitar (like I said, Carvin). But for that price, I have to ask.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 12:24 AM

I don't know much about acoustics, but if ur going to get an electric acoustic you can put the EMG ACS in there. It's EMG so it should sound dark. You should also consider getting a piezo pickup put in your electric guitar. That'll darken up your tone.

Tags
acoustic , affordable , dark tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode