Looking for any info on the 7421XL - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Looking for any info on the 7421XL

Anyone out there who owns a 7421XL or has played one, I'd be interested in any comments you have. I'm also trying to find out the width at the nut. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:39 PM

it's got a 27" scale, and it has 7 strings.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
it's got a 27" scale, and it has 7 strings.
Very helpful. I'll keep that in mind.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:23 PM

The RG7421XL has a nut width of 48mm (same as the UV). The 27" scale length helps keep the string tension a little tighter when downtuning (such as down a full step). If you use standard tuning, or just "drop A", the strings will just feel as if you stepped up a gauge of strings from what you are used to.

The advanced scale length also gives the player a little more room for notes between the frets. Good for single note playing, but chords in the first two positions can be tough, depending on hand size.

The stock humbuckers sound good when used clean, better than passable when distorted. Some would insist on changing them. To each his own.

Fixed bridge and good tuners-no tuning problems.

Cheers,
Butch
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Butch. A few more questions. Was the neck joint really tight? Are the pickups standard size or would I need to route to put in something like a SD Jazz in the neck position? Any idea what a good price would be used?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2002, 09:37 PM

I own a 7421XL, I love it!

I really like the string tension it gives, it's beautiful to play.

I personally didn't like the stock pups, so i put in an EMG 707, which I kind of regret since I've fallen in love with the SD pups in my Brian Moore, but hey it sounds awesome!!

I'm not sure about the pickup sizes, I believe they r standard size, I don't have it here at the moment so I can't check for you, but I don't think there would b any probs putting an SD in there.

Kim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. The order is placed. I'll let you know how it feels after it arrives next week.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:55 PM

Just one question. does the xl neck meen that u can tune teh normal 6-strings to B and the 7 to............. i have no idea but does it do that or does it just take the slack on the 7-string away
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Just one question. does the xl neck meen that u can tune teh normal 6-strings to B and the 7 to............. i have no idea but does it do that or does it just take the slack on the 7-string away
It's a 27" scale, as opposed to the 25.5" scale. Just increases string tension, especially when tuning down lower (usually suited to down a whole-step).

Tags
brian moore , fixed bridge , neck joint , neck position , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dragonforce info for sydney show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode