Looking to buy another S Series... Help me out. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy another S Series... Help me out.

I've been out of the loop for a while, almost to the point where I haven't played much at all. I've owned several S Series in the past... 1625's, 1520's, 520's, etc. Unfortunately, I've had some financial issues that have forced me to sell all of my guitars (except my beloved Jackson).

So... Looking to purchase another S Series, but I don't know where to start? I don't really care whether or not I have 22 or 24 frets. I'd like to have some sort of natural finish, but I'm open for suggestions in that regard. I've seen the more recent S Prestige guitars, and I really like the TKS finish they have now. How do these compare to to, say, the 1625 from '04?

Also, I like the price (and the finish) of the 770pb. But Indonesia? Really? I would never have considered an Indonesian guitar in the past, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

I dunno... Guess I'm fishing for suggestions on a good model to get me back into S Series guitars. Help a ninja out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Re: Looking to buy another S Series... Help me out.

I've got the S570B which is like the 770, with a different finish, and that was made in Indonesia. It's quality is pretty good despite the pickups, in my opinion they are pretty versatile, but I'd consider swapping them. The ZR tremolo is one of the greatest also, you just want to remove the ZPS system to avoid breaking the arm socket. Only downside in my guitar is that it fell off my guitar stand and now there's a dent around the 4th fret. Other than that, I'm completely happy with my purachse.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM

I have a S1625FB in excellent condition that I really want to get rid of .. (can't stand the figured bubinga, I think it's hideous), interested?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM

Reviews: 2

The newer S models are fine, and I think the ZR trem is awesome, but I'd highly recommend trying to find an old, used S540.

It'll cost you anywhere from $300-$600 (depending on the deal and condition) and it'll slay pretty much any other S made.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 AM

If your budget can stretch to it AND if you can find one for sale then there are some great S Series J Customs out there.

EDIT: OP, have a look at the thread below, some amazing S series Ibanez in this:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/th...d-67243-2.html

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 02-14-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: S Series thread link.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to keep looking around for an older 520 with a walnut finish like I used to have. van, that 1625 would be ideal, but I probably can't afford it. But if you want to PM me a price, I will at least consider it. Might even have some good stuff for trade?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM

(lengthy) PM sent!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM

EGen8 is a great guitar for the price. Only niggle is the egde 3, but I must say I've not really had many issues with mine, not as goos as an edge but pretty decent when set up right. The pickup switching is great and the finish is awesome. 24 frets.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusman2x View Post
EGen8 is a great guitar for the price. Only niggle is the egde 3, but I must say I've not really had many issues with mine, not as goos as an edge but pretty decent when set up right. The pickup switching is great and the finish is awesome. 24 frets.
Nice guitar! How long have you been abusing that Edge III???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by van01010100 View Post
(lengthy) PM sent!
Van,

Sorry for the delay. I work long hours and have just now had the chance to respond to your PM. Very, very interested. Do you have any trade references online?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 AM

hi brother, why don't you come back to the old classic S 540 ?
It's like the RG 550 to us the RG fan boy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
hi brother, why don't you come back to the old classic S 540 ?
It's like the RG 550 to us the RG fan boy
I actually have my sights (and wallet) set on a 1625 that I'm very excited about I'm surprised they aren't more sought after than they are. I know that they are one of the first to sport the ZR trem (which I actually like), yet they are one of the last models produced before Ibanez started making S Prestige guitars in Korea (beginning with the 2075FW.

I know that Ibanez is making them in Japan again, but I haven't put my hands on one since the switch. Since I'm buying from someone online, I'd rather not risk buying a newer MIJ that doesn't feel like the same MIJ's that I have been used to playing over the years.

Besides, I used to have one exactly like it! It was a different finish, but I will still feel as if I have redeemed myself after I get my hands on it and play it. I actually found a picture I had taken of my last 1625 on someone else's website. And just because this is an S Series thread:

Man, she was a beauty! Definitely regret selling her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode