Looking to buy my first "real" guitar. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy my first "real" guitar.

I have been playing for about 2 Years, and ive had a WalMart First Act tele copy i ditched as soon as i could, a Schecter Gryphon that was beat to hell, And an early 90's Charvel 475 that wasnt exactly well maintained.

Im looking for something with a fixed bridge, and preferably something with good upper fret reach. I want something simple and versatile. Im looking for quality but used isnt really an issue for me. My price range is around $650. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Banned

Re: Looking to buy my first "real" guitar.

at 2 yrs of playing
don't spend anymore than $350.00
you will never know the difference, IMHO
buy a used mexi strat have a experienced player check the neck for you to make sure is straight they are pretty consistant.
2 yrs from now load it with some decent pick ups
good luck
cp
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 7

Agreed.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:21 AM

The Rg321's are a nice guitar.

Rock on!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 AM

Imho, It's better to spend a lot of money once than buying first $250 then $400 then $600 and after all that $1xxx.

I think it's much wiser to get enough money for a really good guitar as soon as possible and skip all the medicore stuff as you save A LOT of money and time selling all the crappy guitars back. I bought an Aria strat for $200 5 years ago, and waited until I could get an RG570 and it was absolutely worth it,

I'd suggest you read a couple of essential info about various pickups and body types and then just go out and try out every guitar that strikes you and ask the shop assistant what is the setup so you get some insight into it. And buy the one you like the most

Last edited by Fredjo; 05-06-2009 at 04:02 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
at 2 yrs of playing
don't spend anymore than $350.00
you will never know the difference, IMHO
buy a used mexi strat have a experienced player check the neck for you to make sure is straight they are pretty consistant.
2 yrs from now load it with some decent pick ups
good luck
cp
I don't think time matters when it comes to quality and sound in guitars, any layman can tell the diffence between comfortable and uncomfortable, bad sounding and good sounding and so on. I say get an RG, you can't go wrong!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 AM

go for the best you can, MIJ RG's will be in your price range and they ****ing rip. you'l lalso have enough money for some aftermarket dimarzio/Seymour Duncan/EMG's/Bareknuckle's.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I agree with what prydogga and Fredjo have said, you can tell what's comfortable to you regardless of how long you've been playing and it's better to make a big investment at this stage rather than an intermediate level guitar so look to be spending your maximum budget of $650. You'll get the returns on the money in terms of enjoyment over the next year or so anyway

I know you said you wanted a fixed bridge, so from Ibanez's range you'll belooking for things like the RG321, 421 or similar.

Personally, I'd be lookiing to find a used RG500 (RG550/560 or 570) series or a newer equivalent such as the RG1550 or RG2550 and blocking off the trem.

With regards to pickups, I always think a good bridge pickup on a rock guitar is the most important thing to look at and whilst the standard RG pickups are "ok" look to budget for at least a new bridge pickups from one of the companies that william1993 mentions.

Good luck and let us know what you go for.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 AM

i could be interested in your charvel.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asix View Post
i could be interested in your charvel.
Its a 1990 white 475 Deluxe. The pickups arent stock though. Its got a YJM in the neck, a mini JB in the mid, and a Screamin' Demon in the bridge.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Smile Re: Looking to buy my first "real" guitar.

Hey man!

You need to get out and play some different guitars. $650 is good amount of cash to invest, you've got a lot of choices. I would head down to your local shop and try out everything!

But... I don't think you could go wrong with an RG, very versatile!

Good luck and you'll have to post some pics of your new axe!

Tags
pgm , prestige , rg series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode