Looking for guidance from the masters. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Looking for guidance from the masters.

Hey everyone, this being my first post on this site (long time reader, longtime fan of Ibanezrules too!), I figured I'd introduce myself. Been playing guitar about 10 years now and have 2 guitars. One is a 1976 LP Custom that my father gave me (passed down) and my second is a 2001 (i think) Ibanez RG3120 Prestige in the red.

Time has come for me to look into buying another guitar, and I've been everywhere trying to find the next guitar for me. After careful consideration I've decided that I want another Prestige, but I'm not sure which one to get.

I know people here probably sift through posts like this daily, but maybe you could offer me a little guidance. I've been eyeballing a few guitars, mainly:

RG2550E http://www.***************.com/item-...G2550E-GK.html
RGT220A http://www.***************.com/item-...T220A-NTF.html
RGT320Q http://www.***************.com/item-...T320Q-RRB.html

I play mostly death/black metal, but also into shred and just a general fan of all types of music. I'm looking for a guitar that will be similar to my RG3120 in feel. I'm leaning towards the RG2550 because the price is excellent, and I think it would be closer to my RG3120 (being bolt-on). Budget isn't a big problem, however the less I pay the happier I am.

One thing is that no places around here have any of these guitars, and no one I know has one either. One guitar I did get a chance to play was the RGA121 which felt really nice in my hands and felt similar to my RG. The problem was it doesn't have a floyd, which turned me off immediately.

Anyways, I'm sorry for the longwinded post, but can anyone assist me in my decision? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 PM

Re: Looking for guidance from the masters.

I would go with the 2550E. I have one and I think its the best guitar you can get for that price tag. You get a quality guitar without spending a ton of money. It plays great and its got killer looks and really fits well with death/black metal. I am also a fan of Death and Black and it can handle those types of metal very well. I also play alot of Satch, Vai and Petrucci and its great for that too. Botom line all 3 guitar you are considering are great guitars, you cant go worng, but I feel the 2550E is a better bargain, hell invest anoter 100$ and swap the pickups and it will be even better (stock pickups are great too).

Cheers.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Seven View Post
I would go with the 2550E. I have one and I think its the best guitar you can get for that price tag. You get a quality guitar without spending a ton of money. It plays great and its got killer looks and really fits well with death/black metal. I am also a fan of Death and Black and it can handle those types of metal very well. I also play alot of Satch, Vai and Petrucci and its great for that too. Botom line all 3 guitar you are considering are great guitars, you cant go worng, but I feel the 2550E is a better bargain, hell invest anoter 100$ and swap the pickups and it will be even better (stock pickups are great too).

Cheers.
Thanks for your opinion man, I too feel it is a bargain at the price. I was planning on upgrading pickups, but you never know.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Cool, let us know when you decide, and post pics, no matter how many times people here see the same guitars over and over again, its always fun to see them hehe. More people will share their opinion soon, should help your decision.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

The 2550E is out of stock for a bit, so I have time
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
The 2550E is out of stock for a bit, so I have time
Rich from Ibanezrules has some, he might have some from 2006 still in stock, I prefer the fret inlay from 2006, small dots, over the new "ghost sharkfins" but that's up to you.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Seven View Post
Rich from Ibanezrules has some, he might have some from 2006 still in stock, I prefer the fret inlay from 2006, small dots, over the new "ghost sharkfins" but that's up to you.
Normally I would order from Rich, I order all my parts from him. But he's selling it for $1100 while the other places are going $899
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodleface View Post
Normally I would order from Rich, I order all my parts from him. But he's selling it for $1100 while the other places are going $899
I don't know if Rich is willing to move on that price or not, Probably not. But even though. It's not asking alot for $200 difference considering the extra service Rich offers. I'm willing to bet that there isn't anyone on here who bought from Rich that didn't feel like they got their moneys worth.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM

I've got an RG2550 and I love it . . . I got it february but it's last years model - mmmm dots. But its a fabulous guitar. Buy one.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 12:17 AM

If price is not an issue ever consider an RG8470??

But if you want a budget guitar that's close to your RG3120, why not just get a RG1570?? It's essentially the same without all the frills(and without the ugly ghost sharkfins).
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

I've played an RG1570 and I just am not a fan of the plain finish. The RG2550 has the nice pickguard and comes with the J-craft case. It also doesn't come with the sharkfins (I think I am buying last years?).
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Either one should be great! I would just change the pickups with Breeds
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Ordered my RG2550E Will post pics in a few days when it arrives
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 07:41 PM

Reviews: 1

good choice you wont get disapointed !!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 11:55 PM

Yeah you're going to love it - it's a sweet guitar. Check the post regarding the dots vs new sharkfins - I personally love the dots - they're small (if its the 2006) and sort of a silvery colour. Very nice. And the finish is amazing.

Tags
fret inlay , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode