Looking for a guitar W/ sustainer - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Looking for a guitar W/ sustainer

Greetings, folks! I am in need of a new guitar, not only new guitar but a new guitar..... with a sustainer (dun dun duunnnn). I dont see that many options, and have not |(correct me if I am wrong) seen no ibanezes made with sustainers/sustainiacs, but at my local store they DO have the jackson DK2S, its a hss with duncans and a sustainiac, and an alder body, it seemed pretty nice when I tried it out, and it was $611USD , but i think could be another option, one that would keep me loyal to good 'ol Ibanez, that would be, getting a ibanez (RG350M, looks like the DY 550, but welll, its not, but nice to pretend haha) and getting a sustainer kit (fernandez or sustainiac, which is best, i like the sustainiac on the jackson kinda) and put a sustainer in the ibanez, but I know that could add up, lot of factors goin on here, like I know you've gotta be carful with the exact placement, it would require a lot of re routing and (re) wiring, and tons more things i dont wanna go into. now i THINK| the ibanez would end up costing somewhere in the ballpark of 650$-ish but would it be THAT MUCH BETTER to do it with wich one?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Re: Looking for a guitar W/ sustainer

The DK2's are pretty nice guitars, so I would probably go with the Jackson at that price if the Sustainer worked like you wanted it to. Is it a Sustainiac or the Jackson sustainer? The Jackson Sustainer in the PC1 is a cool tool.

Last edited by jim777; 05-07-2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelking
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Yep, your right! The dk2S has a sustainiac though, where as... the PC.. to my knowledge has a custom jackson sustainer (never played the PC but I liked the DK very much, wish it were an ibby lol) And I've read that Vai actually used the sustainiac for a tour (g3? or alive in an ultra world, not sure).

Last edited by fwd0120; 05-07-2010 at 12:01 PM.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:00 PM

Reviews: 15

Check out my review of the DK2S in the Reviews section - highly recommended piece of kit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE View Post
Check out my review of the DK2S in the Reviews section - highly recommended piece of kit.
Read the review, sounds quite nice, just a few questions regarding the trem, how do you tighten the arm once it loosens? and does it pop in or isd it threaded, thanks!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Read the review, sounds quite nice, just a few questions regarding the trem, how do you tighten the arm once it loosens? and does it pop in or isd it threaded, thanks!!
It's a Floyd Rose Pro copy, so the arm drops in and is secured with a threaded collar. The collar works loose over time so, if you want the arm to stay put rather than hang down, you just need to keep retightening the collar. Not a big problem, TBH.

Just messing around, I managed to create some crazy, synthy effects with the sustainer engaged, through a clean tone amp sim (with a big delay added) into a looper for constant looping/overdubbing :

http://www.markeaston.org/stuff/sustainiac.wav
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Nice sound clip! so, you tighten it at the base of the arm holder like on the edge 3's? and the arm just drops in like the E3 trem? sorry, i dont actually have a guitar with a double locking trem *shrugs*.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 AM

If you want the trem arm to stay tight, wrap a small piece of plumbers tape around the thread on the trem. When you tighten the collar it will hold it's position much better.

Rock on!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

bumpity bump lol
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Okay, how much does it cost to have a sustainiac put in to an cheap rg(350). I would want all the control options (the two extra switches and the knob). how much, is that smart, or is the jackson better?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It depends on what sustainer you want: Jackson Sustainer, Sustaniac, or Fernandes Sustainer. You can get the Fernandes Sustainer ala Vai's Flo for $199 plus installation. Keep in mind that the Fernandes requires extensive routing. The Sustainiac attaches to the back of the headstock.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Okay, how much does it cost to have a sustainiac put in to an cheap rg(350). I would want all the control options (the two extra switches and the knob). how much, is that smart, or is the jackson better?
Not sure on prices over there, or how much you would pay for someone to do the work. My guess would be RG350 + sustainer kit fitted would come out around the same price as the Jackson.

I prefer the feel of my RG350 over the Dinky, but they're close enough that I'd go for the Jackson if I wanted a guitar with a sustainer.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
It depends on what sustainer you want: Jackson Sustainer, Sustaniac, or Fernandes Sustainer. You can get the Fernandes Sustainer ala Vai's Flo for $199 plus installation. Keep in mind that the Fernandes requires extensive routing. The Sustainiac attaches to the back of the headstock.
The Jackson uses the Sustainiac Stealth Pro, so no nasty box bolted to the headstock. It's not a specific Jackson kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode