Looking into getting a prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Looking into getting a prestige

I tried a 1570 that I didn't really like but I've been looking at the 3550mz. Right now I have an Edwards alexi laiho and while it's the best guitar I've ever played I need something more versatile so I'm selling that one. I like really low action on my guitars and I'm wondering if the 3550mz is that much better than a 1570 I'm not worried about looks just fretwork and playability for me.im looking to spend 900 for a used prestige.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Looking into getting a prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elatria View Post
I tried a 1570 that I didn't really like but I've been looking at the 3550mz. Right now I have an Edwards alexi laiho and while it's the best guitar I've ever played I need something more versatile so I'm selling that one. I like really low action on my guitars and I'm wondering if the 3550mz is that much better than a 1570 I'm not worried about looks just fretwork and playability for me.im looking to spend 900 for a used prestige.
Welcome to Jemsite Elatria!!

Honestly, $900 will take you a long way in the used market. I think it's important to first describe what you disliked about the 1570. It may have been a setup issue that, when set to your specs would feel/play GREAT and save you some $$.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Welcome to Jemsite Elatria!!

Honestly, $900 will take you a long way in the used market. I think it's important to first describe what you disliked about the 1570. It may have been a setup issue that, when set to your specs would feel/play GREAT and save you some $$.
Thank you! And I guess I was a bit unfair since it wasn't set up,the trem was broken and I couldn't lower the action on the treble side and there was buzz hah. I just really don't want to sell my edwards and get a guitar I regret having down the road.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you! And I guess I was a bit unfair since it wasn't set up,the trem was broken and I couldn't lower the action on the treble side and there was buzz hah. I just really don't want to sell my edwards and get a guitar I regret having down the road.
That's totally understandable. At least we know the problem wasn't something inherent to the 1570. It was just an un-useable setup for you. The next question is:

You mentioned that you need something more versatile. What are you hoping to do with a new guitar that you can't with the Alexi? What typed of music would you like to play with one guitar? What kind of other gear are you using?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's totally understandable. At least we know the problem wasn't something inherent to the 1570. It was just an un-useable setup for you. The next question is:

You mentioned that you need something more versatile. What are you hoping to do with a new guitar that you can't with the Alexi? What typed of music would you like to play with one guitar? What kind of other gear are you using?
Metal of course and I like some blues and softer stuff as well, I also just like using a neck pickup for some leads an the alexi only has a bridge pickup. It's an amazing guitar but I would have to pay a few hundred dollars to have a neck pickup installed. I have a 6505 + combo right now that I need to get a few pedals for.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM

I'm assuming you want a 6-string, but are you thinking about 7's or maybe extended scale guitar?

I don't know the guy selling this guitar, but the '97-'02 RG3120 is considered by MANY of us to be the be-all end-all of the Prestige series. You may want to start up a dialog with him. His is an '01.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs...-a-129428.html

Another question I have is, do you need/use a tone knob? If not the 2010 RGD2120 (6-string) and RGD2127 (7-string) guitars are selling right at your price range. The RGD is a tone monster!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm assuming you want a 6-string, but are you thinking about 7's or maybe extended scale guitar?

I don't know the guy selling this guitar, but the '97-'02 RG3120 is considered by MANY of us to be the be-all end-all of the Prestige series. You may want to start up a dialog with him.

Another question I have is, do you need/use a tone knob? If not the 2010 RGD2120 (6-string) and RGD2127 (7-string) guitars are selling right at your price range. The RGD is a tone monster!!
Wow that guitar is beautiful but I would have to sell mine first to buy it and that might take a while. I wanna stick to 6 strings,maybe one day ill experiment with 7 and I don't ever use the tone knob just volume.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 01:51 AM

I have the 1570z and also the 3250mz which is basically the same as the 3550mz except for cosmetics. Playability wise the 3250 is better IMO. It has a thinner neck and it's just more comfortable and makes playing effortless. I have both of them setup to have really low action but again, the 3250 feels ways better than the 1570. As far as tone goes the 3250 sounds somewhat brighter I guess this is due to the maple fretboard as opposed to the rosewood on the 1570. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

You will not regret buying that 3550, it's by far the most amazing guitar I have ever played.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrebleWizard View Post
I have the 1570z and also the 3250mz which is basically the same as the 3550mz except for cosmetics. Playability wise the 3250 is better IMO. It has a thinner neck and it's just more comfortable and makes playing effortless. I have both of them setup to have really low action but again, the 3250 feels ways better than the 1570. As far as tone goes the 3250 sounds somewhat brighter I guess this is due to the maple fretboard as opposed to the rosewood on the 1570. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

You will not regret buying that 3550, it's by far the most amazing guitar I have ever played.
Does the material used on the fretboard make that much difference to the tone? I only have rosewood so cannot compare, i may get another guitar and the thought that the fretboard can make a noticeable difference is interesting
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsys View Post
Does the material used on the fretboard make that much difference to the tone? I only have rosewood so cannot compare, i may get another guitar and the thought that the fretboard can make a noticeable difference is interesting
There is a difference, although subtle it's still there. Also, the maple fretboard feels somewhat smoother than the rosewood.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone you've been a great help! I now know what I'm looking for and ill be sure to post pics whenever I get it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 AM

Read posts here, never EVER sell "the best" guitar you will kick your self...also setups can make a squire play like a factory American deluxe strat.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
Read posts here, never EVER sell "the best" guitar you will kick your self...also setups can make a squire play like a factory American deluxe strat.
I'll give an "AMEN" to that!!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Well I don't want to pay $300 to install a neck pickup in my current guitar and one more question. Is the rg3120f and different than the rg3120?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well I don't want to pay $300 to install a neck pickup in my current guitar and one more question. Is the rg3120f and different than the rg3120?
Yes, there are some significant differences.

The 3120F came with DiMarzio/IBZ pups
The 3120 came with the Tone Zone/ Air Norton combo in '97 (later models had a PAF Pro in the neck)

The 3120F came with an Edge-Pro
The 3120 came with a Lo-Pro

The 3120F had center dot inlays
The 3120 had off-set dots

Tags
rg1570 , rg2550 , rg3550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode