Looking for a new guitar... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a new guitar...

I have a feeling most of you guys are going to be biased toward Ibanez guitars, but I'll try anyway...

I've been upgrading all of my gear except for my guitars lately, and I feel it's time to buy a new guitar. I've gone through a few different amps before settling on a Vetta II, still need to order a longboard for it.

I currently have three Ibanez RG's, an Epiphone LP Standard Plus, and a Peavey EXP HP Signature. I really like my RG's, but I don't want to limit myself to Ibanez. I rarely play my LP because I can't stand the finished neck. It gets too sticky and I don't really like the feel of the neck, it's too small, yet bulky. The Peavey is very similar to the LP with a smaller scale neck, so I'll probably be selling that guitar since I rarely ever play it.

I've been thinking about buying a Jem for the past year or so. I really like the feel of the neck and how the guitar plays. I like Ibanez for their thin, flat necks. I played a JS1000 and was surprised to find out that I didn't like it at all. The guitar looks nice, but I didn't like the feel of the neck at all.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to spend $1000, maybe more if I find it to be worth it. I don't want to limit myself to Ibanez, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Re: Looking for a new guitar...

USA Jacksons are my favorite superstrat style guitar.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I haven't followed Jackson guitars all that much, so I'm not sure which are USA and which aren't. I played a DK2M that I really liked a few months back, but I'm not so sure I want another guitar with a floating trem. A guy I used to work with had a Soloist that I tried out, which was very nice. Any Jackson's in particular I should look into?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:59 PM

I know they have a Soloist with the strings through the body and a tune-o-matic type bridge
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Have you thought about a good ol USA Strat? The new Am Std's are right under a grand with no tax and free shipping from the major guitar dealers. I love my Ibanez but I am a Strat player at heart so I am definitely biased. It seems like it would be a good one to round out your collection. The other great thing about Strats is that for a grand you can pick and choose so many different variations of styles and neck options. If you are leaning towards Super Strats still then I will concede a lack of knowledge to my fellow forum members as my nicest ones are Japanese Super Strats from the 80s.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 12:05 AM

I myself am a fan of Charvels

Though Fenders are my numero uno
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM

Any of the ESP/LTD Deluxe series. Beautiful, easy-playing, high-quality guitars.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 PM

If you're tempted to replace the Epiphone LP it may be worth trading it in toward a Vintage Mahogany LP (those can be had new for 799 or 899), which has a satin finish on the body and neck. No Sticky LP Neck Syndrome there, and it has the same Burstbucker pickups as in the Standard LP's.

You could also try a Standard Faded LP, which are discontinued but easy enough to find used for about a grand. These also have the satin finish and can be found with the slim taper 60's style neck. Hardware I believe is identical to the Standard LP, they just save a lot of labor by using a thinner nitro finish sort of like Fender does with the Highway One lineup.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:31 PM

ERNIE
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:33 PM

BALL..
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM

MUSIC
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 PM

MAN!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 AM

EBMM? Tried a John Petrucci model on Saturday, didn't like it much. Pity, because I really wanted to, it's a lovely guitar.

So I bought another PRS instead. McSoapy this time.

Guitarmeister, how about one of the satin or unfinished PRSi or SEs with the wide-thin profile? It's a love 'em or hate 'em thing though.... They're as compact feeling as EBMM, but I just prefer the feel.

Tags
ibanez guitars , jackson guitars , john petrucci , john petrucci model , petrucci model , strat style , strat style guitar , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode