Looking to purchase a new Guitar - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chester, United Kingdom
Posts: 13
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Great guitar! I have a RG1570 in Mirage Red.
Enjoy!
Thanks man, need to get better at the set up but love it so happy with it!
dazzo88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:52 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: norfolk va
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Great guitar! I have a RG1570 in Mirage Red.
Enjoy!
Thanks man, need to get better at the set up but love it so happy with it!
I have the RG520 qs myself, pre prestige. Setup is not really that difficult, just gotta be patient. If you really want to make things hell of a lot easier, get the edge Intonation tool. They're a bit pricey, but makes intonation so much easier.
dazzo88 likes this.
snaggleyoda is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chester, United Kingdom
Posts: 13
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
I have the RG520 qs myself, pre prestige. Setup is not really that difficult, just gotta be patient. If you really want to make things hell of a lot easier, get the edge Intonation tool. They're a bit pricey, but makes intonation so much easier.
Checking it out now thanks for the tip! Did enjoy setting it up sure I'll get better at it over time...... doubt it will be my last floyd now
dazzo88 is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:47 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: norfolk va
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
I have the RG520 qs myself, pre prestige. Setup is not really that difficult, just gotta be patient. If you really want to make things hell of a lot easier, get the edge Intonation tool. They're a bit pricey, but makes intonation so much easier.
Checking it out now thanks for the tip! Did enjoy setting it up sure I'll get better at it over time...... doubt it will be my last floyd now <img src="http://www.jemsite.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />
I modified the intonation tool by filing the prong a little on both sides, so it works for any double locking trem I've come across. Works way better than the "the tool" for Floyd Rose & licensed variants.
snaggleyoda is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chester, United Kingdom
Posts: 13
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
I modified the intonation tool by filing the prong a little on both sides, so it works for any double locking trem I've come across. Works way better than the "the tool" for Floyd Rose & licensed variants.
Just seen that tool and seems to cost a lot less but for sure says doesn't work for Ibanez trems. I'll probably see how I get on with a string change and if it's still a pain just stump up the cash!
dazzo88 is offline  
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:00 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: norfolk va
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
I modified the intonation tool by filing the prong a little on both sides, so it works for any double locking trem I've come across. Works way better than the "the tool" for Floyd Rose & licensed variants.
Just seen that tool and seems to cost a lot less but for sure says doesn't work for Ibanez trems. I'll probably see how I get on with a string change and if it's still a pain just stump up the cash!
The Ibanez tool is the EJK1000. It works for Edge lo-pro edge. I modified it & it works for all my trems. Google it & you'll find sellers for it, usually about $50. It is actually an ibanez part which is probably why it's a bit pricey.
dazzo88 likes this.
snaggleyoda is offline  
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:26 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Yeah, I got a used ~2008 RG1570+case (like yours) for about the same price as a new RG421 + case. While it's cosmetically knocked about, it seems really sound - and has much better nut height and intonation than a brand new RG652KFX-KB that I have. [I'll get that sorted, but if it wasn't for the RG1570, I might not have realised it was an issue.]

Really glad I bought the RG1570. It was a good purchase.

TBH, I'm not sure about the Edge vs Edge Zero debate. Non-Zero seems to have the kudos, but the Zero seems more likely to stay accurately in tune.

Also not sure if I'll stick with the Ibanez pickups. Easy to change, though.
dazzo88 likes this.
scallybert is offline  
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:09 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: norfolk va
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallybert View Post
Yeah, I got a used ~2008 RG1570+case (like yours) for about the same price as a new RG421 + case. While it's cosmetically knocked about, it seems really sound - and has much better nut height and intonation than a brand new RG652KFX-KB that I have. [I'll get that sorted, but if it wasn't for the RG1570, I might not have realised it was an issue.]

Really glad I bought the RG1570. It was a good purchase.

TBH, I'm not sure about the Edge vs Edge Zero debate. Non-Zero seems to have the kudos, but the Zero seems more likely to stay accurately in tune.

Also not sure if I'll stick with the Ibanez pickups. Easy to change, though.
Tuning stability is about the same in my experience. The Edge zero was a little stiff on my rg470mhz, till I whammied the hell out of it & broke the springs in.
snaggleyoda is offline  
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:17 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
Tuning stability is about the same in my experience. The Edge zero was a little stiff on my rg470mhz, till I whammied the hell out of it & broke the springs in.
IME, the problem with the non-Zero floating bridge, is it moves as you tune the strings - so it can be a massively iterative process. [Maybe I'm doing it wrong..?] [ie tightening one string, slackens the others.]

If the Zero is set-up right, it rests on the stop bar; so [moderate] tuning doesn't move it.
scallybert is offline  
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: norfolk va
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by scallybert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
Tuning stability is about the same in my experience. The Edge zero was a little stiff on my rg470mhz, till I whammied the hell out of it & broke the springs in.
IME, the problem with the non-Zero floating bridge, is it moves as you tune the strings - so it can be a massively iterative process. [Maybe I'm doing it wrong..?] [ie tightening one string, slackens the others.]

If the Zero is set-up right, it rests on the stop bar; so [moderate] tuning doesn't move it.
Yes that is true with all conventional floating trems. They do take a lot of patience when you put new strings on. With the original Edge once you get it right it stays right, & you only have to adjust the fine tuners as you where out the strings. Plus the Edge is considered one of the most durable trems out there. The knife edges are the toughest around, & if they do wear out, they can be replaced.
snaggleyoda is offline  
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chester, United Kingdom
Posts: 13
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallybert View Post
IME, the problem with the non-Zero floating bridge, is it moves as you tune the strings - so it can be a massively iterative process. [Maybe I'm doing it wrong..?] [ie tightening one string, slackens the others.]

If the Zero is set-up right, it rests on the stop bar; so [moderate] tuning doesn't move it.
Your bridge claw might be a bit off. I saw a problem like that but when I straightened that up they all seemed to be quite close together tune wise
dazzo88 is offline  
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 12:46 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 57
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
Your bridge claw might be a bit off. I saw a problem like that but when I straightened that up they all seemed to be quite close together tune wise
Except that this is what you'd *expect* from a floating trem.


ie if you increase the string tension, the bridge is going to move - to take up an equilibrium position with the spring tension increased.


ie if you tune one string a bit more sharp, the increase in tension will cause the bridge to move, and make all the other strings slightly more flat.
scallybert is offline  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 05:25 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Hey buddy,

There is a 2004 RG2570 going for 595 on guitar guitar used - it's listed as a RG2570Z but the pictures show an Edge pro trem lol. It doesn't come with the case but worth enquiring about see if you can drop the price down, it's been sitting there for a while.

On Andertons - a used 2004 S1625 with a bare knuckle installed in bridge thats going for 499

Can't post URLs yet

Last edited by Zahs_JS1200; 04-01-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Zahs_JS1200 is offline  
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Chester, United Kingdom
Posts: 13
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahs_JS1200 View Post
Hey buddy,

There is a 2004 RG2570 going for 595 on guitar guitar used - it's listed as a RG2570Z but the pictures show an Edge pro trem lol. It doesn't come with the case but worth enquiring about see if you can drop the price down, it's been sitting there for a while.

On Andertons - a used 2004 S1625 with a bare knuckle installed in bridge thats going for 499

Can't post URLs yet
Thanks man but I've already purchased one!
dazzo88 is offline  
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: London
Posts: 10
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
Can you give me some examples of what to look out for?
Similar to what snaggleyoda mentioned, the RG5xx series pre-2002 were decent guitars imo. If you find one in good condition with a straight neck for under 350, I'd say it's a bargain.

Used RG560's and RG520's are quite rare now, but there are still a few RG550's and RG570's being listed online.

The original RG's had the Edge Tremolo which is arguably one of the most stable tremolos ever produced. The necks with bubinga stripes generally stay in shape better than the ones without, so I would check the guitar in person if possible if it hasn't got the stripe. Although, some fretboard planing could fix any slight abnomalies in the older necks (without the stripe) if you can afford some extra work on it.
Ibanexor is offline  
Reply

Tags
new guitar advice help

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I want to purchase a Jem 80's Style swirl guitar. Bluewatercanvas Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 3 01-08-2016 08:58 PM
Checks to do pre/post guitar purchase? mpr All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 13 01-18-2011 11:44 PM
Need help on a guitar purchase n.spade All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 10 11-11-2009 06:24 AM
Free guitar with purchase? jim777 Vendors, Auction & Reseller Talk 24 02-03-2006 09:57 PM
Advice on my next guitar purchase King Knall Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 10 06-28-2005 07:39 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome