Looking to purchase a new Guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Looking to purchase a new Guitar

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a new guitar and have been impressed by Ibanez's offerings. Ideally I am looking to spend no more than £600 and have been looking at used prestige models which seem to be really nice guitars for the money.

At first I was looking for fixed bridge but decided I wouldn't pass on a different bridge for the right guitar. I have another guitar I can use for drop tuning and may still purchase a drop pedal at some point.

Can anyone pass on any wisdom on finding a nice used Prestige Ibanez for around my price range? What would you say are the best models to look out for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:10 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Looking to purchase a new Guitar

As you said used Prestige is the sweet spot for sure where you get good pricing for the good Ibanez stuff that someone else has possibly barely used. My advice is to choose body shape & then make sure the bridge meets your needs - if you only want an Edge/LoPro/Pro trem look for those whereas if you don't mind the EdgeZero that gives more choices. Some Ibanez fanatics obsess over the neck dimensions but to me that is often splitting hairs.

Your location is not shown but £600 is not here so what used availability is in your region is another story. In the USA Prestige Ibanez litter the market (in a good way) it's amazing people have so little regard for them and will pay sometimes 2x for indo Ibanez with grossly inferior tremolo, wet wood, etc. Good luck.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:18 AM

At £600 the only way you will get Prestige is to go used as £800 is around the entry point for a Prestige, the cheapest I think being the new RG521 Genesis Re-Issue at about £799.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I've updated my location and just been browsing the general sites the past couple of days to see what is around.

There is one for around £600 not too far away from me but think I might go looking in shops at the weekend and play similar models to see what I like. In terms of bridge I am not that concerned as I don't plan to change tunings on the guitar once set up and only use for the trem and they all seem to be of a good standard!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzo88 View Post
Thanks for the info! I've updated my location and just been browsing the general sites the past couple of days to see what is around.

There is one for around £600 not too far away from me but think I might go looking in shops at the weekend and play similar models to see what I like. In terms of bridge I am not that concerned as I don't plan to change tunings on the guitar once set up and only use for the trem and they all seem to be of a good standard!
Yeah if you get an original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge then that's about as good as it gets with locking trems. On the used market then sure you will find a lot of good stuff within that price range.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Don't overlook used Japanese RG from before the premium era. You can pick some smoking deals on those. Wizard necks, Edge trems with locking posts, & stock pups weren't too bad during that time.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleyoda View Post
Don't overlook used Japanese RG from before the premium era. You can pick some smoking deals on those. Wizard necks, Edge trems with locking posts, & stock pups weren't too bad during that time.
Can you give me some examples of what to look out for?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:33 PM

Basically your looking for 5 series & above before 2002. It'll say made in Japan on the back of the headstock. For example 520, 550, 570 etc. Prestige models of those would be like 1550 etc. If you go to look at one, take your smart phone with you & verify the serial number.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks snaggleyoda I'll see if any pop up near by.

The two I have my eye on are a SV5470A which starts at £450 but has had a mod done and an additional switch put in putting me off slightly! The other is a RG2570E-VSL (2007) which is fixed at £620 and seems to be in good condition!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:34 PM

I personally would favor the 2570. That Edge pro is the best. A new one would be almost half the price of the guitar.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Can we post links to listings? I've seen a few I quite like the look of and most look in good condition.

Between 1550/1570 and 2550/2570 is there much difference or does it just come to the feel of the guitar at that point?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 PM

As far as feel goes they're about the same. Main difference is is hardware & pups. Just Google the ones you're thinking about, & you'll get plenty of info.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

I bought a 1570 and just organizing courier collection of it tomorrow! pics to follow!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

As promised and just finished setting her up with some 10's

mike570 likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 21

Great guitar! I have a RG1570 in Mirage Red.
Enjoy!

Tags
new guitar advice help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode