Looking at S470 and S540...Please help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Looking at S470 and S540...Please help!

Hey guys, I was at my local GC yesterday and tried a few models out. First I tried a new S Prestige of some sort, but I didn't like the shape of the neck. Then, I picked up a used S470 with a Low-TRS, which played awesomely for me. I also tried an RGA121, which I've owned before, but the neck was too thin for me. So, basically, I liked the S470 the best, very comfortable to me.

Anyway, I saw an S540 Custom online with binding and sharktooth inlays, which I love the look of. Looked like a Wizard II (no bubinga strip) with AANJ. Would these feel the same neck dimension wise? Also would the necks of the S470 with TRS and the newer ones with the ZR feel the same? The only one I really have the chance to play is the one at GC(S470 w/ low-TRS).

Any help or insight you could give would be great. Also, if you think I should look at other S models with the same neck, older or newer, I would appreciate it. Thanks fellow Ibbyers!

Last edited by UsrName; 05-10-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Re: Looking at S470 and S540...Please help!

You should give the Lo-TRS a miss, go for the ZR trem.

New S470's have the ZR
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:20 AM

Yeah...but they are going to have the neck shape like the prestige he played.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 11:57 AM

If you saw an old S540 with AANJ it would have a Wizard neck. The older models (pre-1997 or thereabouts) did not have a skunk stripe. It will feel slightly thinner than the Wizard II you played on the old S470. Although both the newer Wizard II's (newer S470 with ZR trems) and older Wizard IIs (older S470) share the same name, they sure feel different to me. I've never spec-ed the 2 out to see what's different, but it's definitely there. The older ones felt sleeker and more Wizard I like than the newer ones. As my tastes have changed, I actually prefer the older Wiz II over the original Wizard.

You might consider getting the old S470 and swapping the TRS for an Edge or Lo Pro Edge. Many people have done this. But beware - the trem routes on those Korean made S470s are unpredictable -- sometimes the swap requires a small amount of sanding or dremel tool widening of the trem cavity, but othertimes not. I've had it go both ways.

Cheers,
Bert
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
If you saw an old S540 with AANJ it would have a Wizard neck. The older models (pre-1997 or thereabouts) did not have a skunk stripe. It will feel slightly thinner than the Wizard II you played on the old S470. Although both the newer Wizard II's (newer S470 with ZR trems) and older Wizard IIs (older S470) share the same name, they sure feel different to me. I've never spec-ed the 2 out to see what's different, but it's definitely there. The older ones felt sleeker and more Wizard I like than the newer ones. As my tastes have changed, I actually prefer the older Wiz II over the original Wizard.

You might consider getting the old S470 and swapping the TRS for an Edge or Lo Pro Edge. Many people have done this. But beware - the trem routes on those Korean made S470s are unpredictable -- sometimes the swap requires a small amount of sanding or dremel tool widening of the trem cavity, but othertimes not. I've had it go both ways.

Cheers,
Bert
Thanks for all the replies, this is the info I was looking for. Seems so me the newer Wizard II feels more bulky than the one I just played. If the S540 has a Wizard, then it's probably not for me (too thin).

Looks like I'll probably go with the S470, and I will change the trem out when I get a chance. Especially, upon closer inspection, because the screw hole for the bar is half cracked off! If I change trems, will there be any intonation problems? I've had this happen on a Jackson once. Also, which has a lower profile the Edge or Lo Pro Edge? Also, are these the only two that will retrofit? What about the Edge Pro?

Thanks for all the help!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:30 PM

No intonation problems with the Edge or Lo Pro Edge. I'm pretty sure an original Floyd is also a direct drop-in replacement with no routing or mods required. I'm not up to speed on converting to one of the newer trems (Edge Pro, etc), so someone else will have to field that one.

The LoPro does have a lower profile, but some people (Satriani, for example) still prefer the original.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, actually for me, the higher the profile the better, so and Edge just might do.

What about getting a newer S470 with ZR trem down the road and swapping the neck out with the older Wizard II? Would it be a direct replacement? Just a thought.

Last edited by UsrName; 05-10-2007 at 05:30 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Just picked up the S470! I started a new thread about it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Gotoh is a direct fit. The trem block may be a liitle long...

Tags
neck shape , pro edge , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays , trem block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode