Looking for a thicker neck...GRG250DBX? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Looking for a thicker neck...GRG250DBX?

Hello,

I've been looking into an RG style guitar with a thicker neck. I know kinda opposite of what those guitars are known for. From what I've found the GRG has the thickest neck in that style. I want some kind of HSH SSH configuration so the JS guitars are kinda out (but I've read good things about their necks).

So what I have to ask is how is the GRG250DBX? I havent found much for reviews of feedback. Is it a bad place to start for a project? (I'm planning on changing out pickups).

Here's my backstory. I've done the vintage thing for a long time and I want to change things up. My main guitar is a 70s classic reissue strat. So I want something with a flatter radius and more frets, but I still prefer a thicker neck and not a super flat neck. I really like Andy Timmons combination of vintage an modern on his AT100CL and the neck looks like a good compromise from the specs. Unfortunately that's out of my price range.

So at the end of the day this is what I'm looking to get. A RG style guitar with Andy Timmons kind of neck profile and pickup setup (definitely not trying to get his exact tone but I like the setup), and a nice stable floyd rose style trem.

What do you guys think? Is this "do-able"? I assume since the pickups are pick guard mount throwing a single coil in the neck wouldn't be a problem/ picking up a SSH pick guard. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Re: Looking for a thicker neck...GRG250DBX?

If you're looking for thicker neck, you should check out LTD's or Schecter. Ibanez will surely not give you what you want!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM

Reviews: 120

It really sounds like you should switch brands and maybe check out something like the Charvel So-Cals and San Dimas models. They are even better and have a compound radius fretboard (10 or 12-16" radius - can't quite remember), and I believe a more Strat-like neck carve. Not too thick though.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Too bad I was looking forward to getting back into ibanez guitars (I loved my 78 AR50). I would even settle for a neck more like an Am. Std. strat. Ahh well I am asking for the wrong thing from this style guitar.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 07:19 PM

Reviews: 15

this one might stray a little from the specs you want, but how about one of the Ibanez SZ or SZR series? The neck is definitely thicker than any wizard neck, kinda like the bastard son of a LP and a PRS.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 PM

Reviews: 2

FWIW.....The GRG (or any Gio, for that fact) will leave you wholly dissatisfied, especially if your used to an American strat.

If you don't need to have a new guitar.......

The '86 RG Deluxe series are exactly what your looking for. They have (non-recessed) Original Edge trems with Top-Lok III locking nuts, multiple pickup configurations, and best of all........The neck is the stepping stone between the strat style necks Ibanez used previous to '86 and the Wizard that was used after. I'm not positive on the measurements (I'll check my RG410 tomorrow) but I'm pretty sure they're [email protected] the first, [email protected] the twelfth, with a 400mm radius (16").

They can be found for VERY low prices.

Here is my RG410:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
FWIW.....The GRG (or any Gio, for that fact) will leave you wholly dissatisfied, especially if your used to an American strat.

If you don't need to have a new guitar.......

The '86 RG Deluxe series are exactly what your looking for. They have (non-recessed) Original Edge trems with Top-Lok III locking nuts, multiple pickup configurations, and best of all........The neck is the stepping stone between the strat style necks Ibanez used previous to '86 and the Wizard that was used after. I'm not positive on the measurements (I'll check my RG410 tomorrow) but I'm pretty sure they're [email protected] the first, [email protected] the twelfth, with a 400mm radius (16").

They can be found for VERY low prices.
Yes! That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm definitely willing to go used, and those specs look perfect. The only reason I didn't mention anything about vintage Ibanez lines is because I didn't know that kind of info. Thanks for the help Looks like I'll be scanning the Ebays.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 AM

Art series also has "thicker" neck than normal series (Wizard), but still, it's not as thick as LTD's or Shecters

For comparaison, my MH301 has 22mm at nut and 23 at 12h frett

The SA series has 20.5 at nut and 23 at 12th

You can also search neck profile here:
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 13

You dont want to go down the gio route, i have a GRG and it is terrible, i would looks into a jackson dinky, the profiles on them necks feels alot more round and thicker but its still has a good playability.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM

I love the necks on Schecter C-1 series guitars. Perfect balance between speed and comfortable thickness. You can pick one one for a pretty good price now too. Great for what you get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode