Looking at used S, small neck pocket crack - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Looking at used S, small neck pocket crack

I'm looking at purchasing a used 2001 Ibanez S which is for the most part clean exempt it has a hairline neck pocket crack. Might just be the finish, might not. Is this something I should totally avoid? More than likely, the guitar is going to be refinished. The price is average, definitely not a steal. The rest of the guitar is good to go. Advice needed!
Thanks,
Michel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Looking at used S, small neck pocket crack

Should be fine. If you are refinishing you can always fix it anyway.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I just want to make sure it's not the result of a crack in the wood showing through the paint so to speak. I did a bit of research and it seems it's common in a lot of Ibanez models but I don't think I ever read why it's an issue.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 PM

If I recall correctly, the neck pocket cracks are a result of Ibanez using a fairly brittle clearcoat paint. They are very common and are almost never anything to worry about.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Sweet. I just bought it. Should maybe have it by Friday if it goes out tomorrow. It's a Jewel blue S540LTD. Rest of the body is pretty mint and it has everything except for the allen keys (I've got plenty of those). I actually have a 1993 S540FMTT arriving tomorrow but I'll be refusing it due to paint damage they didn't disclose when I bought it. Plus the green with the gold hardware reminds me of my grandmother's bathroom in the 1970's. This'll be a nice companion to my S5470.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Interesting fact: Every neck pocket crack Ibanez I've had no matter how old,
was from the US.
Especially guitars painted in the US (540 series assembled in us),every vintage i own that was painted in Japan (Fujigen)...no cracks ever.

Ambient air temp in US whilst painting...??

Neck pocket cracks are only common to US,every time i find a cracked pocket here in Australia i check its stamping and its a US assembly.
I'm not a painter,but there is something to this.

Australia's supply came straight from Japan back in the day,we didn't have the options offered in the US with the 540/RG range,and everything ive ever owned from japan...crack free.

Anyway....the cracks are fine,no structural problems at all...just clear coat.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 PM

I've seen plenty of neck pocket cracks and I've never seen a USRG or US Custom in person. I think you're imagining things.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Not talking about US customs,erm you know the history of 540 production?

Seems not,and its just my observation of years of collecting 540's....I've had 20+ over the years mostly of the 88-92 era square heels and i search for others daily,but think what you like.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 PM

So how do you explain the enormous quantinty of old MIJ RGs with cracks?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM

My Korean Ibanez S didnt have a neck joint crack on coat...until I hit the neck slightly to my door by accident.

So if you're guitar takes a hit I think it can be the cause of these cracks to appear. I believe they don't always just appear on their own.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_f View Post
So how do you explain the enormous quantinty of old MIJ RGs with cracks?
I think he's suggesting that weather conditions in the US or at the US distributors, are more prone to making the clearcoat crack, than weather conditions at the Australian distributors.

He isn't saying "Only US assembled RG's have neck pocket cracks", as much as "Ibanez guitars in america have a lot of finish cracks, but here in Aus I only see neck pocket cracks on instruments obtained from the US"

What he is definitely NOT saying is "US Production is responsible for all neck cracks"
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Maybe, but what I read was "Especially guitars painted in the US" and "Neck pocket cracks are only common to US", which in my experience isn't the case. Perhaps he's only talking about the 540 line, but as far as all the MIJ ibanez I've owned, held and played which had a square heel, even ones I see pictured for sale online, maybe 40% have pocket cracks (guessing, but it's a lot). The only common factor I'm seeing is the square heel. I think people read too much into it, and it's more of a structural issue. It's not just Ibanez either, lots of old square heels like Jackson, fender etc can have neck pocket cracks. I've never seen one on an AANJ. You've got all the load on the lower chunk of a square heel and no meat on the sides, when the tension flexes for any reason, you get a stress crack on the thin side, which always starts and ends in the same spot, indicating where the structural weakness is.

Last edited by axel_f; 10-09-2012 at 12:39 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 12:51 PM

One more thing I'd like to add, I have removed the finish from cracked bodies and have also received them stripped of their finish, sanded past the poly coating stuff down to the wood, and the crack turns out to be in the wood. I know people like to say in their ads that it's only in the finish, but obviously they have no way of knowing that by looking at it, and I can't prove otherwise that all cracks go into the wood, but in some cases it absolutely does. So that negates the theory that it's simply the paint or clear coat. If there are any non believers out there, I'd be happy to show you pictures of a stripped MIJ RG with a neck pocket crack in the wood.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM

I was taking the weather angle,but hey....maybe you guys are rougher with your guitars in general....you get them cheaper and there is a whole lot more guitars in circulation.

Maybe its just coincidence.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM

It might also have something to do with gravity, since you guys are upside down.

Tags
neck pocket crack s540

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode