LP Limited Edition - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

LP Limited Edition

After having read the thread on "gibson=quality?"... i was wondering if it would be an idea buying a limited edition standard 2004 LP over a standard standard LP... i know as ever the basic answer is "buy what feels right", but do you think (or have you had any experience with LE LP's) that the build quality of LE's are better to the point of spending an extra 200?
Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 01:36 PM

It's difficult to say really, the extra 200 might just be buying you a nicer top. I'd do a little research and see if you can find anywhere that defines the differences in the LE.
And not to forget, if you're spending as much as would cover a new AR3000, try to check out that guitar as well. The top line Artists are as good or better than almost any Paul you can get.

jim
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Jim, but i would have to say that IMO, the AR3000 is extorshionate (far far more so than a standard LP... hasnt the AR3000 got a list price of 1799?) with the AR300 being very close sonically... even with a different method of construction... and the AR3000 has little character.. the 300 just feels better...

But in regards to the LE LP, i dont think that the top is that different... comes in manhatten blue or santa fe sunrise ... exotic names for some pretty standard primary colour.. but anyway... could just be gibson sucking more money outta the people..
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 10:15 AM

You might also do well with an older LP Custom. I used to play them all the time in the late 70's and loved both the way they sounded and the way the neck played. (They sound especially good with a DiMarzio PAF in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge!) I eventually switched off the Pauls for a 1980 Artist AR-300, which is IMHO a far, far nicer guitar than the new AR-300, and a tossup with an old LP Custom. It's got an ebony board, the tri-sound switches on the Super 70s (which sound great stock, no need to replace them at all), and is Japanese, as opposed to Korean. They cost more now than they did new, but you still see the old AR300s in the 'Bay for about 700US, which might be attractive as a Paul alternative to you, if you want to try an older guitar. I can't really think of a good reason to buy a new guitar unless it's collectible or unavailable in decent condition used.
One last, I have an old Tokai Love Rock LP copy, and though it's a bolt on it's a decent guitar, about on par with a new AR300. Tokai's high end Love Rocks are superb instruments though, if you can find one. (All of Tokai's high end stuff is superb)

jim

Tags
dimarzio paf , ebony board , super distortion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode