LP's.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

LP's....

Just somthin about em. I have had ALOT of guitars. Some rather pricey. PRS Custom Artist, Jem, JS's, G&L's etc. They were all fine and good guitars by any measure. But there is something about LP's tone. Thick!! about says it all. I know RG guys love there Ibanez necks and many wont play an LP for more than a few minutes not giving the LP a fair shake. I still like playing my other guitars, but, the LP gets played in the band.

It's like a REAL Strat or Tele. You can sorta get that tone from other guitars, but not THAT tone. You cannot get real LP tone from another guitar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Re: LP's....

Well why not a challenge? Post a clip of your Les Paul in action, then see how close people can get with other guitars. People always say they can get close . . . Although it wouldn't be the same as a live situation.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
Well why not a challenge? Post a clip of your Les Paul in action, then see how close people can get with other guitars. People always say they can get close . . . Although it wouldn't be the same as a live situation.
Not sure that would really be a fair comparison. To many variables. I think to compare it that way, I could record myself playing all my different guitars changing nothing other than the guitars. Plus, oddly enough, I'm not so sure it's something that translates to what others hear. It's really something you hear and feel in your own tone as you are playing.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Dude, I love em too. Im getting an sg when I get my return.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 PM

I just cant deal with the 24.75 scale. I'm getting an LP custom built right now with a 25.5 scale. Basically, I'm taking everything I don't like about LPs and fixing it with this build. The tone LPs get is great though, so I'm sure I'll be happy with it once it's done.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 PM

The only thing I don't like about les pauls is the neck joint. The thickness is ok, the scales ok, but that dang square block.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 PM

I dont like:

1). Scale length (getting 25.5)
2). 22 frets (getting 24)
3). Neck Joint (getting it done neck-thru)
4). General lack of exotic fretboard woods on factory models (still deciding).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM

I hardly ever need 24 frets, when I do I just bend.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Not sure that would really be a fair comparison. To many variables. I think to compare it that way, I could record myself playing all my different guitars changing nothing other than the guitars. Plus, oddly enough, I'm not so sure it's something that translates to what others hear. It's really something you hear and feel in your own tone as you are playing.
I see what you're saying - and I kinda thought that would be the case. I mean it's hard to get that mojo to translate to a recording. But hey - it would still be interesting to hear your different guitars through the same setup. Why don't you try eq'ing one of your other electrics to try and get it to sound like the LP, just to see how close you can get?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

An LP never quite cut it for me. They're great guitars, just not for me.

i agree about the mojo thing though, when you're feeling it, you're feeling it and if you get that from an LP, more power to you
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
I hardly ever need 24 frets, when I do I just bend.
I know what ya mean, it's more for the look and feel for me. I just never feel at home unless the guitars a 24 fret-er. Although if you're playing a solo that has a trill or something with the 24th fret involved...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 AM

My Washburn P4 out-LP's most LPs, and I find it more comfortable. Just a matter of preference, but I know where Darin's coming from*. A big-ass slab of mahogany, singlecut, gives a pretty unique tone.

*possibly for the first time ever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode