LTD EC-1000 SSB: worth it? A good guitar? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

LTD EC-1000 SSB: worth it? A good guitar?

Hi all!

Having all my life had strat shaped guitars, I'm having GAS for a Les Paul shaped guitar. Also, all my guitar have passive pickups, so, just to try something different, i want a guitar with actives. I' mostly a shred/metal player, so...

I found a store online that has the LTD EC-1000 SSB for 700 Euros, new. I love the silver sunburst finish, this particular looks really great and well spec'ed.

But I've never had any experience with LTD guitars. All my other for 4 guitars are MIA and MIJ (Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel - all strat shaped) so i have a good reference point in terms of quality.

I know its not MIA or MIJ (the "reference" countries in terms of quality - generally speaking...), it's made in Korea, and it does not have the ESP logo stamped on the headstock. But it's a 1000 series, deluxe one... So what do you guys think? Is this LTD a good, quality guitar by it's own right? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mnit1965; 01-24-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM

Re: LTD EC-1000 SSB: worth it? A good guitar?

You probably thought of this but if not the smaller scale length will be a little bit of an adjustment. I don't mind the smaller scale length personally but some people really don't like it. I do prefer the 25.5" scale for the most part.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 10

There are a few LTD EC-1000 on CL here ranging from $500 - $700...they are very nice looking guitars but I have not yet actually played one so I am also curious if anyone here has tried one and what they thought...
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnit1965 View Post
Hi all!

Having all my life had strat shaped guitars, I'm having GAS for a Les Paul shaped guitar. Also, all my guitar have passive pickups, so, just to try something different, i want a guitar with actives. I' mostly a shred/metal player, so...

I found a store online that has the LTD EC-1000 SSB for 700 Euros, new. I love the silver sunburst finish, this particular looks really great and well spec'ed.

But I've never had any experience with LTD guitars. All my other for 4 guitars are MIA and MIJ (Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel - all strat shaped) so i have a good reference point in terms of quality.

I know its not MIA or MIJ (the "reference" countries in terms of quality - generally speaking...), it's made in Korea, and it does not have the ESP logo stamped on the headstock. But it's a 1000 series, deluxe one... So what do you guys think? Is this LTD a good, quality guitar by it's own right? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!
It sort of depends what you're looking for, no? LTD's are great guitars; I've had experience with the deluxe series and they are really exquisite. The factories producing LTD guitars out of Korea do consistent, quality work. It's not going to be a MIJ ESP, but I think the price point of those makes them a different question altogether.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:14 PM

if you want a single cut guitar like a les paul type, look at Carvin's new SCB6, bevel top single cut guitar. Those things are BEAUTIFUL.

If you really want an LTD, go for it. They are basically on par with their MIJ cousins sound wise. They are also ALOT cheaper.

As for LTD build quality, Araya from Slayer (why the heck does his first name elude me?) uses his LTD signature basses on stage because he wants his fans to know that they can play what he plays on stage. If he can vouch for his own LTD, I say that's a pretty good endorsement of the overall quality of the entire line.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 PM

The EC1000 is a very nice guitar for the price.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:50 PM

You cannot go wrong with any 1000 series LTD. I've had a couple EC1000, and a genuine Eclipse, and honestly, they aren't that far apart. The construction on the 1000 series is top notch, and frankly, LTD doesn't really make a bad model until you get to the real bottom of the 50 series. Even then, they still blow away a lot of mid range stuff from other manufacturers.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:19 PM

My guitar teacher just bought an EC-1000 and he really loves it. The only thing I don't like is the inlaying on the fretboard. I feel like it's a tiny but gaudy.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 AM

funny saw this thread while I'm also gasing for les paul type guitar right now.
I'm considering options from : epiphone, ibanez and LTD.
Actually Epi is my first priority, as the spec is 'true' les paul, but so many fake one floating around the market, I'm not sure about it anymore.
Ibanez iron label's ARZ is another option to consider, but it's sold for US market only.
Now, I have my eyes on LTD EC1000, I think for the right money, I'll go for it.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 05:47 AM

I have an LTD Viper 301 (Gibson SG shape) which is Korean made and I took that at $519 over a used American SG for $400 dollars many years ago. It's a great guitar as you will find but with most Korean LTDs you will see they are somewhat different that most Gibsons due to the fact it has dual active EMGs. It's better for the very hard stuff but a little harsh sounding for classic rock and jazz. My LTD is less common in that it has passive EMGs which seem more classic sounding and underpowered compared to the typical LTDs out there. But when most people think ESP or LTD, then it's usually about metal and it's usually the active EMG humbucker as the signature tone. There are non-active EMG models out there (as well as Duncan, Dimarzio, and generic ESP pickups on some models) but the bread and butter of ESP is the dual active EMG humbuckers and that huge sound.

It's all about what you are looking for. If you want to get the exact sound of James or Kirk in Metallica, this guitar has all that and you would be hard pressed to find anything out there better for that (at any price) including Ibanez. The EC 1000 is among the best Korean made guitars ever and certainly one of the more popular ones. If I had to go with another ESP I would probably go for the EC 1000 model that has the Duncans in them.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-15-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:23 AM

The EC-1000 my teacher plays is the flame maple one with the cream/black zebra Duncan pickups. His guitar has a JB/59 combo.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:59 PM

I finally got the EC-1000 in tobacco sunburst ( not sure the right color code), it's sunburst with brownish- burst, anyway... since I got it brand new from factory but without any pickup installed and parts installed ( it's a long story how I get one of these), so I'm gonna put some cream dimarzios on it.

my first impression : the body is thin, it's not like any les paul which is thick.
light weight ( of course because the thinner body), neck is pretty convy, as soon as I got it stringed, I will compare it to my M-II neck.
overall, built wise it's not bad for a MII.
the flame top also really nice ( veneer).

I hope I'm gonna like it, it's my second les paul shape guitar.
I once had an ESP Eclipse, but don't like it at all... but it was like 10 years ago.
10 years ago, I did not like anything that don't have 'IBANEZ" logo on it...

it also marks my second purchase of this year which...... not Ibanez.
seems like I'm starting abandon Ibanez for my future purchase.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:46 PM

Another guitar to check out in this same category is the Fernandes Ravelle. Nice China made LP style guitar. The Elite's come with a Sustainer in the neck
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I finally got the EC-1000 in tobacco sunburst ( not sure the right color code), it's sunburst with brownish- burst, anyway... since I got it brand new from factory but without any pickup installed and parts installed ( it's a long story how I get one of these), so I'm gonna put some cream dimarzios on it.

my first impression : the body is thin, it's not like any les paul which is thick.
light weight ( of course because the thinner body), neck is pretty convy, as soon as I got it stringed, I will compare it to my M-II neck.
overall, built wise it's not bad for a MII.
the flame top also really nice ( veneer).

I hope I'm gonna like it, it's my second les paul shape guitar.
I once had an ESP Eclipse, but don't like it at all... but it was like 10 years ago.
10 years ago, I did not like anything that don't have 'IBANEZ" logo on it...

it also marks my second purchase of this year which...... not Ibanez.
seems like I'm starting abandon Ibanez for my future purchase.
Dont worry, I have a non-Ibanez I'm waiting for now too (Carvin JB200 )
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:06 PM

Overall, and I am sure we probably all agree here, there's no company quite like Ibanez (jazz, LP shape, superstrats, Jems, Satches, djent weapons, etc) but there are good individual guitars out there from nearly every maker.

The Eclipse/EC is like my Les Pauls but a little more on the shredder side, probably due to big frets and usually hotter pickups, and bridges the gap between fast Ibanez shredder and old school big necked, heavy Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul Standard/Custom.
A person would really have to be completely biased to hate a top of the line LTD EC-1000 but then think the Artists and Artist AR lines from Ibanez are far superior. The ECs hold their own with similarly priced Ibanezes and are fast enough. If a player has an issue with EC-1000 not being fast enough and not as good as something like the Ibanez Artist AR420, then it's the player and not the guitar.

Tags
ltd esp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode