LTD question? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

LTD question?

Anyone ever played one of these?

http://www.espguitars.com/products/8...itar-clearance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 06:55 PM

Re: LTD question?

I played exactly that one in that color.

As far as the neck, body, balance, and weight, this thing plays very nice. The Floyd is OK but could be upgraded unless you don't use too much where in that case I would leave it alone. I have no complaints and this guitar is pretty much in the same quality range as similarly priced Ibanez. OK, now I will duck as people throw rocks at me. I am not giving this a thumbs up having played it by itself or read some 4 and 5 star reviews but actually played this side by side to Ibanezes.

I didn't get the chance to plug in the active ESP pickups and the higher end models in LTD's' lines have all this like your guitar, nice fit and finish, but with EMG active pickups. This line is a more affordable alternative. My ESP/LTD is the Viper 301 and it had the EMG-HZ passive pickups which were a more affordable option to the Viper 400's full on active EMG 81s.

With your link showing the guitar on clearance at $299, $641 list, so there's nothing to lose. I would even consider this guitar at $399 or maybe get the Ibanez RG in that range, but at $299 all Ibanez has is the fixed bridge regular series RG IIRC.

I almost got the RG at $299 and it didn't have the fat frets and speedy neck the LTD M/MH had, but if you want a neck more similar to a traditional strat, then the RG is better, but if you want a fat fretted shredder neck, ala Jackson/Charvel, then the LTD is the better choice. That LTD was somewhat more heavy duty and you could feel the quality over that particular line of Ibanez. But if you go to $399 and find an RG, it's a better guitar with Edge ZR over the LTD's Floyd Special. The Ibanez at $399 upgrades the feel of frets to be more shred-like and pretty much very similar to your LTD.

It's a tough call but if you could retrofit a higher end standard, original, or titanium Floyd Rose, then you have a great guitar through and through. Also it goes without saying that if you could get an Ibanez Edge in there it would make it even better than anything Floyd has to offer.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 06-03-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM

I could not agree more with 63Blazer.
I have an EC-1000 Deluxe, got it pretty cheap for around 400 bucks brand new?
Absolutely nothing wrong with this guitar, I tried to spot for manufacturer defect whatsoever, but could not find any.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I wasn't really considering it, but for 300 bucks you really need to at least look it over, ask for opinion. Anyway, I had a Jackson SL1 lined up that somehow fell through, so I bought a Boogie Mark IV instead. Right in the middle of my first guitar shopping 'spree' in about 5 years my amp died!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I wasn't really considering it, but for 300 bucks you really need to at least look it over, ask for opinion. Anyway, I had a Jackson SL1 lined up that somehow fell through, so I bought a Boogie Mark IV instead. Right in the middle of my first guitar shopping 'spree' in about 5 years my amp died!
Your Mesa died? That sucks.

I heard so many say it can do what Marshall does but without all the breakdowns. I use Marshalls when I play loud and it's never the same amp twice. I don't know if the Brits wanted to make their amps as unreliable as their cars.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post

I heard so many say it can do what Marshall does but without all the breakdowns. I use Marshalls when I play loud and it's never the same amp twice. I don't know if the Brits wanted to make their amps as unreliable as their cars.
That's why I want a Carvin V3. I've heard nothing but good things about it and from all the demos I've heard, it's the perfect amp (for me anyway). At least it wont break down like a marshall (mine hasn't broken down yet but reading your comments scared me )
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
That's why I want a Carvin V3. I've heard nothing but good things about it and from all the demos I've heard, it's the perfect amp (for me anyway). At least it wont break down like a marshall (mine hasn't broken down yet but reading your comments scared me )
Marshalls large amps can be bad, but small combos and transistor are OK.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post

No, no, I phrased that wrong. My 'had been trusty' '79 Acoustic G100-112 combo died, so I bought a Mk IV to replace it. the Acoustic was a MkII clone that got Acoustic sued and put out of business, so I figured another Mark amp was an obvious choice.

Just noticed that now dead Acoustic is in the other 'Thursday' thread behind the D'Angelico
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM

My amps never died on me...well I sold them before they die.
Now I'm using laney IRT studio, hopefully don't die before I got bored with it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 05:00 AM

Had a 22 caliber combo mesa, and a 50 caliber top, both died on me.
They had stuffed away for some years, and I took em out last year, none of them work. Old tubes? Anyone else had similar experience?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

If you power on a head without a cabinet attached you can render the tranny useless, so there's that. Are the tubes lighting up, or do they look like they've burned?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
If you power on a head without a cabinet attached you can render the tranny useless, so there's that. Are the tubes lighting up, or do they look like they've burned?
No, would never start up with no speakers connected. They did not look like they were burned. At least not what I remember. What I do remember was that the 50 caliber head did work for a split second, and then it died, and then it worked again for a few seconds, and then it died.

And the 22 caliber combo, did have some loud noise for a while, and I put it in stand by, and then turned it on again, and the loud noise came back, and I put it in standby, and I kept trying for a while, and then it died totally.

I am thinking it would be old tubes, but I do not have any knowledge about these things...

Tags
esp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode