MA3 got signed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

MA3 got signed

I just got back from Vai in Aspen. I got lucky enough to catch him after the show.
I also got to meet Dave Weiner!!! That cat is cool!

My wife seems to think Vai's signature on the front is not cool.
Y'all's thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:32 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: MA3 got signed

[facepalm] upside down guitar photo.[/facepalm]

considering it's a custom axe the (toddler-like) drawing looks good to me actually adds to the "it's a custom i did" effect.

This photo is a good example however for people with real Ibanez guitars to not get them signed on the front in any capacity. Enjoy.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

This is an Ibanez American Master ma3hh my friend.
I found it this way and i got steve to sign it. He signed the front and the back of the headstock. Got Weiner to sign the headstock too.
sorry about the upside down. Thats what it looks like in the case.
I guess thats the best he can write after a 3 hour show.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I was in the middle of an overhaul to this guitar and just threw in some old parts for a front to get her signed. The entire guitar has already been wet sanded. I was just posting this cause I'm about to sand off the signature. I feel bad for doing it though. But this guitar is an Ibanez. 1 of about 80 in the world. So I wanted some feed back before she gets her overhaul and clear coat.

Steve said his favorite pickups were the gravity storms. I asked him about the new dark matter 2s. He said those are great and he has them in a couple guitars already. But he said with as much maple as whats in the Master the Gravity Storms would sound great.

I was gonna try and use that velorum covered Gravity Storm in the bridge since it was already Vaied the [email protected]#$ out. I might would keep the sig then. Otherwise Im afraid Ill just have to let Vais sig go. : (

Thanks anyway.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:54 PM

Signatures really divide the people don't they? I have a few signed guitars, either because I met the player or the guitar is rare. I understand why some folk think it 'ruins' the guitar but at the same time it's pretty cool to meet a player you like/respect and have a guitar signed - if that's your thing! Also a signature does nothing to affect the sound of the guitar which in the long run is what they're built for, whether there's ink on it or not. Value be damned!
I wonder why Steve likes to sign guitars where your arm would rest? I've seen quite a few signed there.
Roon4me - whatever you do with the guitar, no regrets! It's cool that you met the dude and got a signature, and it'll be cool if you overhaul the beauty. Pics if you do please!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Great! Thank you so much!
It really does still play brilliantly!
We are really just lucky something like this has survived and even playable.

Overhaul is nothing too crazy. Just cleat coat after a few touch ups and new gold hardware maybe. Pickups of course. Maybe we can keep with the real red mirror inlay or maybe just Les Paul it out. Idk just yet. I do know it needs that clear coat and polished cause red gets everywhere when you play it! haha!
Its a hard guitar not to play. hehe.

If it were just a normal Jem copy I wouldn't even ask, I would just do whatever.
So thank you for your imput!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 05:35 AM

That must have been really awesome to meet Vai in person. He seems like such a down to earth rockstar. Would love to be in his presence if the opportunity comes.

That is a nice guitar. Unfortunately, I really doubt that is an "American Master ma3hh". I am not exactly very fluent in Ibanez, but I don't think those American Masters had any monkey gripe, or maple fretboard with red vine inlays.

And again, no offense, that definitely does not look like Vai's signature (to me)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

it's a totally customized neck-thru AM if you look at the photo you can see it. i'd leave it alone as the overall cheezy-ness has appeal (like an old JEM). On that axe the Signature adds appeal and the "it's been played" factor can't be understated.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:49 AM

I see, my mistake, it does seem like it has had some modifications done to it. I suppose this is the same guitar that had duncan blackouts installed at some point. Anyways, good day!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Yes same guitar that once had blackouts.
but blackouts sounded like blackouts.

Yes its way yonder been played. Great guitar still. It still kicks the [email protected]#$ outta a lot of my guitars. Once I can get it back together and properly setup then I believe its gonna be up there with my 77v or my js2410. I love those guitars.

I hope it still counts as a "real Ibanez". If not, I gots plenty more.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 05:32 PM

I remember this guitar:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68872
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 01:46 AM

It fits. Don't sweat it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: MA3 got signed

I keep an American made Chicago series Washburn tele to collect signatures on, with the provision that it doesn't get played...

I'm not a fan of signatures on guitars. You are the only one whose opinion matters though...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:05 AM

Dumb. Do you have any vague idea about what Steve's signature really looks like? This doesn't even look like his 'regular' signature. The G clef probably just popped up in his mind, attempting to appease his fan.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

actually, he has been changing his signature for quite sometime now for a vague idea. Look at the ones he has been recently signing.

damn, why do I even post here?

Tags
guitar signature , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode