mahagony body Ibanez guitars - gear tips for better sounds - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking mahagony body Ibanez guitars - gear tips for better sounds

To all guitar users with mahagony body. Ibanez or non-Ibanez

First of all Hi, My 3nd post out here and as always looking for new ideas.

The reason I posted this thread is because I was looking to solve some issues regarding my Ibanez s770fm (you can check my other post) There were NO THREADs REGARDING MAHAGONY guitars so here's one...

I was going for the tone zone(b) - air norton(n) combination after rewiring 5 way switch adding h-h switch with single coil being excluded.
It's a special combination that gives your guitar both 5way switch ability (H-S-H) and push pull system (H-H) for many variations of sound.

Now let's get to the point- here are the rules

A. what do you think is the best setup for your mahagony guitar- please share some tips but don't forget to mention:

1. what music are you playing in general
2. what sound are you looking for (output, sustain, clean, harmonics, squeaky etc.)
3. how to balance these (1 & 2 options out) using variation of pickups.
4.some info. about your guitar - which guitar are you using - origins,production etc.)

5. I'll think of something more... maybe how much you spend on it in total.

There you go. Hope you share any usefull informaiton soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Re: mahagony body Ibanez guitars - gear tips for better sounds

my baby -

oh some1 was really helpfull and mention to use - air norton for bridge and Fred for neck positions for their distinguished sounds. Fred has been so far my no.1 chois cuz I'm looking for extra sustain while having clean dynamic sounds.
tnx to RGTfanatic
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

http://www.guitarnet.co.kr/sub.php?g...&ThisCatNo=124
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM

Reviews: 11

I have a few mahog guitars. Tonezone/air norton is my favorite pup combo, but I think its a bit too muddy in mahogany. I HATE evo's, but I think they would kick but in mahogany.

On my s5150 I have a tone zone/paf pro combo, and Im not the hugest fan of it honestly. I originally had it wired up for phase,series switch, single/hum switch, and individual toggle switches to turn pups on/off. The single coil modes sounded fantastic though. Now its just wired "on/off" and volume, ala EVH.

Fred's are great pups. Very smooth and clean. PAF Pro in the bridge is dandy as well. I think what Id like to try is a fred in the neck, and an EVO2 in the bridge.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Howdy, I have the same guitar, only mine is the 22 fret version, the 670fm. I installed a FRED on the bridge and a PAF Pro on the neck. The FRED is really perfect for this Guitar IMO. Harmonics really sing, and the sounds is great for medium to high gain distortions.

The PAF Pro sounds really nice on cleans, but a bit darker than I had hoped as I'm quite used with a Strat. For crunch like tones and low-gain it sounds good as well, but for high-gain I can only play after the 12th fret really...below that it gets muddy. Anyway, the FRED for the bridge was a clear win IMO...not so much the PAF Pro. Still wondering if I switch it or not someday.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM

I just ordered a herc fede s body swirl and plan to put evo's in it. I love the way they sound in my RG's, so I would think I would like them in a mahogany body ibby.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
Howdy, I have the same guitar, only mine is the 22 fret version, the 670fm. I installed a FRED on the bridge and a PAF Pro on the neck. The FRED is really perfect for this Guitar IMO. Harmonics really sing, and the sounds is great for medium to high gain distortions.

The PAF Pro sounds really nice on cleans, but a bit darker than I had hoped as I'm quite used with a Strat. For crunch like tones and low-gain it sounds good as well, but for high-gain I can only play after the 12th fret really...below that it gets muddy. Anyway, the FRED for the bridge was a clear win IMO...not so much the PAF Pro. Still wondering if I switch it or not someday.

Try Fred for the bridge - som1 told me its probably the best for this guitar I need to see it for myself before I buy it ... or buy a used one
cheerz
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:12 PM

The FRED was a direct recommendation from the guys at DiMarzio actually. Being a satch fan I asked if the FRED/PAF Joe combo would sound good, and they said the FRED would do very well. They also said the PAF Joe would do great, but since I didn't find one to buy here in Rio, I ended up settling for a PAF Pro, which was not such a good idea What I might just end up doing is switching the PAF Pro to the PAF Joe someday. Don't get me wrong though, the PAF Pro is great, and it's impressive how both pickups are very clear sounding in that even with high gain, you can clearly hear every note. Just the PAF Pro has a bit of trouble in very high gain settings with the mahogany.

BTW, contacting them is always a good idea. They usually respond within a week, and who better to say what will work with what than the company itself
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post

BTW, contacting them is always a good idea. They usually respond within a week, and who better to say what will work with what than the company itself
Not necessarily true, if there weren't for Joe and Steve and who else, DiMarzio wouldn't make such an impact for the market with fred and paf and evolutions .. lucky Joe and Steve enjoyed or at least learned how to adjust and expand their feel on top what was given to them.

Anyway.. you need to be very specific with contacting dimarzio and explaining very well what are you after for- sound, feel, etc.

IMO its all about the player- if you don't have it in front of you or at least in your hands- you ain't going nowhere
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

BTW - TNX GUYZ.. I'm glad the thread is going well so far tnx for your information that is 1st of all USEFUL !!!!!
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_stef View Post
Not necessarily true, if there weren't for Joe and Steve and who else, DiMarzio wouldn't make such an impact for the market with fred and paf and evolutions .. lucky Joe and Steve enjoyed or at least learned how to adjust and expand their feel on top what was given to them.

Anyway.. you need to be very specific with contacting dimarzio and explaining very well what are you after for- sound, feel, etc.

IMO its all about the player- if you don't have it in front of you or at least in your hands- you ain't going nowhere
Well, true, but they are able to tell you at least if a pickup will sound too muddy or too bright in a specific wood combo. That's what I meant anyway
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Reviews: 1

I was going to replace AH2 in the bridge of my Iceman, but after working with it, I decided to keep it.
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Recently put a Fred in my FGM400, all I can say is Awesome sound!
Thinking of doing the same in my RG520QSTB that has a V8 (factory) in there now.
Though honestly the H2 in the FGM was not bad, I used in the studio for while not knowing it was a factory pup.
Same with the V8 its not bad, but I bet a Fred or PAF Pro will make it scream.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 2

Love the stock D-Activators in my mahogany Iceman!!!
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigny View Post
Love the stock D-Activators in my mahogany Iceman!!!
Those Pups do sound really good!

Tags
ibanez guitar , mahagony , pickups mahagony , s770

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode