Major dilemma (advice wanted) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Major dilemma (advice wanted)

Okay, I have a chance at a cheap, relatively good condition Grape Ice RG560 linked in the thread "This RG 570" (The shop listed it as a 570, not a 560 not my fault :/) or going for a member of the genesis collection. I would need to change the pups on the 560, but I can get it for about 400 USD, whereas the Genesis 550 or 570 Violet chameleon will cost around 850 USD.

For jemsiters, which one would you go for? Used or new? Both are MIJ, the 550s/570s are rehashes, the 560 is an original from back in the day. I'm so lost on what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:01 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: Major dilemma (advice wanted)

can you put your hands on both?...if the new ones feel just like the old ones i'd say go new as it'll be longer before you have to do things like fret jobs...d.m.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
can you put your hands on both?...if the new ones feel just like the old ones i'd say go new as it'll be longer before you have to do things like fret jobs...d.m.
The problem is, the Genesis wont even be released until the end of September so I can't actually touch one. I am, however, going to try out the 560 tomorrow. Condition-wise, it's in probably better shape than my Candy Apple 550 (the problems with my 550 are minor scratches and whatever, nothing serious).

In terms of neck dimensions, they are very close to the Super wizard HP (which I have on my RG2550 prestige). The only differences are that the super wizard in the genesis are 1mm wider at the 12th fret and they are 2mm thinner at last fret.

Honestly the only things that make the Genesis attractive are:

1. The violet chameleon color (or road flare red on the 550)
2. the fact they are japan only limited releases, collectors items.

The thing that I love about the 560 is that it's H-S-S. All my current axes (RG1550M PBL, 2550Z GW, RG550CA, RG350EXZ) are all H-S-H and for something different, the 560 has what I want.

So that's why I'm so confused on what to do. I know if I dont manage to get a chameleon now, I'll never be able to get one. 560 Grape Ice may not be that common, but I may be able to find another 560 someday. So yeah, I'm lost.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:00 AM

what is your guitar again? 550,2550,1550?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
what is your guitar again? 550,2550,1550?
550, 350EXZ, 2550, 1550. I have 4 right now.

EDIT:

Just fyi, I'm putting IBZ/USA F2 and F4 into the 550, my 350 has 3 evolutions (bridge/middle/neck) and my 1550 has blue gravity storms.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:05 AM

sorry, this stupid tab, really hate it.
sell the 350,1550,and 2550. keep the 550 and buy the 560. then saving up for the genesis 570.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
sorry, this stupid tab, really hate it.
sell the 350,1550,and 2550. keep the 550 and buy the 560. then saving up for the genesis 570.
Nah, I like my axes, and I got alot of custom pups in them. Especially the 1550. This particular model was never released in Japan and I managed to get it. those blue gravity storms are gorgeous with the phantom blue.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 AM

Reviews: 6

if you want the different pu config then you've kinda made up your mind without knowing it...lol...however check out the 560 very well...fret condition, make sure the edge posts haven't moved in the body (basswood can be soft)...in other words make sure it's completely functional...if so then i'd say grab the 560...

the other point i saw in your post is this...you buy these guitars to play them right?...so whether it's a collector's edition or not shouldn't matter...but in effect it might keep you from playing the genesis as much...so i'd say go with the one you'll play and get the most enjoyment out of...just my .02...d.m.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
if you want the different pu config then you've kinda made up your mind without knowing it...lol...however check out the 560 very well...fret condition, make sure the edge posts haven't moved in the body (basswood can be soft)...in other words make sure it's completely functional...if so then i'd say grab the 560...

the other point i saw in your post is this...you buy these guitars to play them right?...so whether it's a collector's edition or not shouldn't matter...but in effect it might keep you from playing the genesis as much...so i'd say go with the one you'll play and get the most enjoyment out of...just my .02...d.m.
I would play the genesis, but probably not as much as my other axes most likely. I like to take good care of my stuff so maybe if i got the genesis, I'd probably put the evo pups from my 350 in it.

Also I'm a sucker for special colors or really awkward 80s metal colors. If i had the money, I'd have the RG3250 orange lol I will check the 560 tomorrow before I make any final decisions, but I have a 1993 550 candy apple and I finally understand why the old Ibbys are so sought after so I'm like hunting down good ones (my 550 is in good shape and plays great, needs a full setup though just in case).This 560 looks great and the chances of me being able to get it are probably alot higher than my chances to get the Genesis 550VC or 570VC. Seems like it's REALLY sought after.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:47 PM

The 560 looks great.If the neck and frets are good I would pick that up.Having a single in the neck would be a nice change,since you have hums in the neck position of your other guitars.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 AM

on the other hand, since your guitars are H-S-H, and with pickguard too, it's easy to modify to H-S-S.
just order a custom made pickguard with HSS routing for one of your guitar, and you are done.
no need to buy the 560 just to get the HSS tone.

but.....once you get your hands on the 560, no matter what. I'm so sure you won't let it go.
so be prepare for the worst scenario that you want that 560 so bad.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 AM

Reviews: 10

I have a '92 Grape Ice 560 as well. Definitely worth the money, and (just my opinion) I enjoy the S-S-H pickup combination to the H-S-H and I normally would've thought I liked the H-S-H combination much more.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 AM

Reviews: 120

Get one of the Genesis for sure! Built with the best of the classic and modern specs, plus the awesome colours. Brand new Edge, awesome neck build, square neck heal, and again those colours. I'd be all over it!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Get one of the Genesis for sure! Built with the best of the classic and modern specs, plus the awesome colours. Brand new Edge, awesome neck build, square neck heal, and again those colours. I'd be all over it!
I feel the same way.............. You can find 560's often enough to not HAVE to get it now. A brand new Genesis may be harder to find in the future. Ibanez hasn't shown us any evidence in the past that they'd continue building these Genesis type of guitars for any period of time.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

I made my decision and made a thread for it (with PICS in the first post! lol)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode