Making sure an Ibby isn't stolen - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Making sure an Ibby isn't stolen

An RG1527 popped up on my local Craigslist and I'm thinking about buying it. Communication with the seller has been... difficult. I can't seem to get the S/N out of the dude. I want to know that before I agree to meet and do the deal... mainly so I can determine the year. It's an hour drive away, so I want as much info up-front as possible before I drive all that way.

Another thing I'm concerned about... mainly because of his manner up to this point... is whether the guitar might be stolen. If I can get him to cough up the S/N, would there be a quick/easy way for me to make sure the guitar isn't hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Making sure an Ibby isn't stolen

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
An RG1527 popped up on my local Craigslist and I'm thinking about buying it. Communication with the seller has been... difficult. I can't seem to get the S/N out of the dude. I want to know that before I agree to meet and do the deal... mainly so I can determine the year. It's an hour drive away, so I want as much info up-front as possible before I drive all that way.

Another thing I'm concerned about... mainly because of his manner up to this point... is whether the guitar might be stolen. If I can get him to cough up the S/N, would there be a quick/easy way for me to make sure the guitar isn't hot?
Unfortunately, no. It seems the only way to get the S/N is to see it for yourself. If you don't buy it right away the guy will get nervous and not return again.
I say buy it, but get the guys plate#, address, phone#, or any other personal info that you can when you pick it up. Then check the serial with the AZ state police. If it turns up hot, you can point them right where to go and also have the ability to get your money back.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Banned

Many people don't like to disclose full serial numbers for other reasons.
Tell the seller how to determine the year and ask for that.
Then, go see the guitar.
Follow RGT's advice about plates, etc...been down that road before.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:40 PM

any new news??
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Unfortunately, the police are worthless here in AZ. Mine was stolen last year, and after hours of searching, I've found it up for sale twice in the last year. Police wouldn't do anything, despite it being on record, despite the crime happening on video tape, with a serial number, nothing, wouldn't even return my calls.

If you do buy it and think it's stolen, you might think about putting up a Craigslist post WITH the serial number, just in case anyone is looking for it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnovak View Post
Unfortunately, the police are worthless here in AZ. Mine was stolen last year, and after hours of searching, I've found it up for sale twice in the last year. Police wouldn't do anything, despite it being on record, despite the crime happening on video tape, with a serial number, nothing, wouldn't even return my calls.

If you do buy it and think it's stolen, you might think about putting up a Craigslist post WITH the serial number, just in case anyone is looking for it.
It's also common for thieves to spot CL ads, claim that their guitar was stolen--and THAT is the serial number.
It happens more than people think. This is why some people won't show the whole serial #
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaPopcicle View Post
It's also common for thieves to spot CL ads, claim that their guitar was stolen--and THAT is the serial number.
It happens more than people think. This is why some people won't show the whole serial #
well, without a police report, I'm pretty sure their SOL. ****, I even have a police report with the serial number/verification etc and it didn't help, but I know that I would sure as hell be grateful for someone at least giving me a chance to get it back.

The simple solution is to require a valid police report that includes the serial #
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:26 AM

I think the best way is to ask questions only a guitarist would know the answer to. Ask them what pickups are in there, if they find them to be high output, etc...technical questions?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 AM
Banned

Are we talking about the OP wanting to buy a guitar and get serial number, or trying to track someone else's stolen guitar???
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 AM

Personally, if the guy's shady, I wouldn't buy it, point blank.

as far as tracking one, unless it's really unique, you'd have nearly a 1 in 10,000,000 shot of finding one. The only reason I found mine was because it was Root Beer Metallic, with 2 EMG's and a disconnected middle pickup, and with several dents/dings. As far as I know, that color was only ever offered one year, and only ever on the 570, so tracking it down was actually doable.

But say it's a laser blue 770, or something else that was mass produced for several years, it would be nearly impossible to track it, even WITH the serial number.

Not every pawn shop reports serial/descriptions to the police like they should, nor do they all follow the law regarding the "30 day wait period" (some states/countries may vary, though this is Arizona we're talking about specifically).

Ironically, I haven't even seen the 1527 that the OP is talking about on CL, but I also haven't seen any posts about one being stolen either.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE: We ended up not doing the deal after all. I understand what you all are saying about divulging the full s/n. So, I was hoping there might be somewhere on the web that I could quickly punch the s/n into my phone and check it on the spot.

We ended up not meeting because I asked him to at least give me the first 3, so I could determine the year. Turned out to be the wrong year--not what the seller thought it was, nor what I was looking for.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: We ended up not doing the deal after all. I understand what you all are saying about divulging the full s/n. So, I was hoping there might be somewhere on the web that I could quickly punch the s/n into my phone and check it on the spot.

We ended up not meeting because I asked him to at least give me the first 3, so I could determine the year. Turned out to be the wrong year--not what the seller thought it was, nor what I was looking for.
That's cool....catastrophe averted on all fronts!!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

Glad you avoided disaster.
if a seller won't at least give out the first few digits--something is shady.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that would've been one hell of a drive in 109F heat only to find out it's not the year he (or I) thought it was.

But, the craziest part of the story, which I didn't tell: he didn't know the s/n because, during our conversations, the guitar "was at the music store having new strings put on."

Every now and then, I'll come across this. How many people out there ACTUALLY take their guitars to a music store/tech just to have the strings changed!?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that would've been one hell of a drive in 109F heat only to find out it's not the year he (or I) thought it was.

But, the craziest part of the story, which I didn't tell: he didn't know the s/n because, during our conversations, the guitar "was at the music store having new strings put on."

Every now and then, I'll come across this. How many people out there ACTUALLY take their guitars to a music store/tech just to have the strings changed!?
Just spend a few hours at guitar center and watch all the idiots dropping $20's.......... you'll be shocked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode