Malmsteen Strat - opinions please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Malmsteen Strat - opinions please

Hi all,

I have been contemplating a Malmsteen strat for a fair while now, but like with most guitars here in Oz you never see them for sale in store, so there basically order only.

Can someone who has owned or played one please give me an insight into how they feel.

My main concern with it is whats the neck like? Is it like a wizard 3 or any Ibanez neck? Is it harder to play quick lines?

I'm mostly a legato guy so I like the idea of the scalloped neck, my logic is it should require less pressure to fret and if you a light player it could be beneficial. I'm not looking for a cheat guitar or anything, I just prefer slinky feeling guitars. My current Jem has that feel, not sure how as the frets aren't massive, but it just plays like butter, while my other Ibanez guitars require more effort from the left hand, for what ever reason.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:05 PM

Re: Malmsteen Strat - opinions please

I did not play one, (but I have custom guitar with scaloped neck),

but Malmsteen's stratocasters always have good sound,
especially one with Dimarzio pickups.

New one with SD pickups sounds to smooth for me, more like 335 then stratocaster.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Banned

Eightysixboy, man you suffer from severe GASitis!
Back to topic, a friend of mine has a malmsteen strat, and it sounds and feels great. My scalloped partscaster felt superb, nice feeling. Sold it to make room in the house for the UV70p, which I like better.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM

Look for one on S w e e t w a t e r's website. They give a couple different neck specs and there is a good review by an Ibanez guy who bought one.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Eightysixboy, man you suffer from severe GASitis!
Back to topic, a friend of mine has a malmsteen strat, and it sounds and feels great. My scalloped partscaster felt superb, nice feeling. Sold it to make room in the house for the UV70p, which I like better.
Haha yea I have always gas'd for a Yngwie strat. My interest has peaked again since he is coming here ina few months

I played a normal American strat as I have seen that it has a similar neck shape. Didn't like the feel at all, can't believe people like EJ and others can shred on them, in comparison to the Ibanez stuff there really weird to play.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Haha yea I have always gas'd for a Yngwie strat. My interest has peaked again since he is coming here ina few months

I played a normal American strat as I have seen that it has a similar neck shape. Didn't like the feel at all, can't believe people like EJ and others can shred on them, in comparison to the Ibanez stuff there really weird to play.
Well, the malmsteen strat targets old Strat afficionados dinosaurs who grew up with deep purple and rainbow, and refused to use anything but a strat in all their life. You have to like strats to like the yngwie strat.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 AM

I looked up the Malmsteen strat specs and it has a 9.5" radius, that is going to feel way different than any Wizard neck. I have a American Deluxe with the compound radius and it is very playable and my background is also Ibanez thin. I could never get along with strats because I was not used to the smaller radius at the upper frets, compound radius would help feel somewhat like the Ibanez we are used to. As mentioned earlier, the Malmsteen strat is 9.5" all the way through the fretboard, the neck shape is a Modern C which isn't wizard thin but not a baseball bat either.

If your are used to Ibanez, make sure you spend some QUALITY open-minded time with the Malmsteen or you may have a high end guitar you hate playing.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:35 AM

You'll like it... those 9.5 strat necks feel good to me. Comfortable to play on, but I'm not a shredder either. The only thing that bugs me about playing a strat is the location of the volume knob. I bump it and accidentally turn it when playing, might just be my bad technique... but I'm doing a Iba-strat project and the first thing I'm changing is the v-t-t to v-t and removing the knob closest to the bridge.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Iīve owned several Malmsteen strats and loved them all. The early US versions (ī88 en ī89 and maybe later) have a big type neck. The current models have a nice, thinner C shape neck and you can perfectly shred on those guitars.

However, if you are used to the thin and flat Ibanez necks, which are perfect for fast runs and legato, you might have some difficulty switching to Fenders. Itīs just a total different feel.

Maybe you can buy a cheap RG 550 and have it scalloped? That way you have the best of both worlds.

I would check one out personally before buying it online, because some people really donīt like the feel of scalloped necks. I guess itīs an acquired taste.

And yes, itīs much harder to play fast (accurately) on a scalloped neck. The only upside is the better grip on the strings. If you are into bending and vibrato, itīs a great thing. If your technique lacks here, you will sound awful..
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I played a normal American Strat the other day to try and get a feel for the modern C neck shape, and while I didn't completely hate it, it certainly was a unique experience.

I'm sure the YJM strat is easier to play but these normal strats just feel weird if you ask me, the lack of proper fret access and the heel joint felt really awkward, above the 17th fret only the thinner strings are usable. I don't think I have played a strat for over 10 years so that didn't help.

There is basically no way I'll see one in store so it looks like getting one isn't going to happen unfortunately. I might just scallop one of my Ibanez necks very lightly and see how I like it. Its funny cause I was playing for Yngwie last night on my RG520 and it really felt like you needed the scallops for a wide vibrato to get the right feel, you don't realise how much of your finger touches the wood until you really look.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
Well, the malmsteen strat targets old Strat afficionados dinosaurs who grew up with deep purple and rainbow, and refused to use anything but a strat in all their life. You have to like strats to like the yngwie strat.
Its funny you say that because I was thinking last night that Yngwie must really be used to old strats to keep playing them, I'm sure by now he could have had a modified super strat with 24 frets etc etc if he really wanted, but he has stuck with a very traditional strat style.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
Its funny you say that because I was thinking last night that Yngwie must really be used to old strats to keep playing them, I'm sure by now he could have had a modified super strat with 24 frets etc etc if he really wanted, but he has stuck with a very traditional strat style.
I guess you are right, because Yngwie constantly played his strat from the age of 12. Yngwie has said he prefers the tone of single coils above humbucking pickups. 21 frets is enough in most cases and you can always bend to the 24th fret.

A proper set-up also makes a huge difference. Even though i love Ibanez guitars and still owe a couple, i love to play on my strat. When setup nicely, it plays really well, sounds great and hardly goes out of tune (unless you go Vai at it, you need a stunt guitar for Vai tunes)

Many artists have said that when playing a strat, your personality and individuality comes more through.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 PM

I got a compound radius, scalloped, ebony mightmite strat neck as an experiment for one of my strats. Interesting - very un strat like to play but interesting. If you have, or can get hold of, a cheap strat, it's certainly worth doing as a low investment trial.
I liked it, but I'm heavy handed so it threw me switching to that guitar mid gig.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
I guess you are right, because Yngwie constantly played his strat from the age of 12. Yngwie has said he prefers the tone of single coils above humbucking pickups. 21 frets is enough in most cases and you can always bend to the 24th fret.

A proper set-up also makes a huge difference. Even though i love Ibanez guitars and still owe a couple, i love to play on my strat. When setup nicely, it plays really well, sounds great and hardly goes out of tune (unless you go Vai at it, you need a stunt guitar for Vai tunes)

Many artists have said that when playing a strat, your personality and individuality comes more through.
I guess it does depend on what your used to. I remember playing a squir in high school and loving it, loved the tone. I might go play some more strats tonight and see if I change my mind a little.

Its very frustrating over here with Fender Australia, its as if they cbf sending guitars to stores, I just had a long convo with a guy at a store and he said its a bit odd how they do things. You have someone like myself, who is very keen to play and try the YJM strat, but they would send them out unless either myself or the store buys the guitar.

Its the polar opposite to some other companies. I remember I wanted to try a Brett Garsed ESP and they were like, yup no worries, well get the rep to bring it around when he comes here next, I ended up buying it, so it shows that it does pay to have at least 1 guitar of these types to bring around for people to try, not this whole, order only bs.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 PM

How about a cheaper strat with an aftermarket (Warmoth or an Aussie company?) scalloped neck? If you don't like it, sell the neck and sell the strat. If you do, keep the "new" guitar and sell the stock neck. Just my 2 pennies. I did a heavy scallop on the neck of a 570 last year and I love the way it plays. Would I do it again? Probably not. It was a real PITA to get everything perfect and the guitar still needs a full set up, a fret level, and recrown. Definitely worth doing if you want to invest the time.

Tags
malmsteen , yngwie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode