Ibanez JEM Forum banner
8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  nuno 
#1 ·
just saw this.. never knew knopfler signed up with Fender.

Fender has introduced the latest addition to its Artist Signature Series, the new Mark Knopfler Stratocaster. This guitar was designed by Fender and Mark Knopfler, and it is an exact replica of the guitar that he uses on stage while fronting Dire Straits.

Designed in Scottsdale, Arizona and produced in Corona, California, the new Mark Knopfler Stratocaster will begin shipping in July.

Features:

Comfort Contoured '57 Lightweight Ash Body
Vintage Tinted '62 Maple Neck, "C" Shape,
Rosewood Fingerboard
21 Medium Jumbo Frets
3 Texas Special Single-Coil Strat Pickups
5-way switching
Fender/Gotoh Vintage Style Tuning Machines
American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
Finish: Hot Rod Red (815)
$1899.99 U.S. Suggested Retail

See less See more
#7 ·
JEMavenger said:
Uh...that thing looks like any old strat. What's so special about it?
Yes i agree, but the thing is with strats, they all look the same in the pics:), you have to pick it up and play it to know what makes a model unique

but tell you the truth, with the right amp, you can get knopfler's sound with just about any american strat.
even if it is just an american strat with knopfler sig on it, im glad knpofler singed up with fender. one of my favourite guitarists.

p.s, knpofler's main axe these days is a vintage les paul (payed 60,000 bucks cash to a dealer in london for it 8) )

cheers

#9 ·
I do remember seeing an Eric Johnson signature strat in one of the mail order catalogs that I line the bottom of the birdcage with. This was probably two years ago, Maybe more... It was a sunburst with maple neck and Texas pu's. I think the pickguard was signed by EJ, or the guitar came with an extra pickguard signed by EJ...

#10 ·
ofcourse, if you have 6 grand extra you can go for the other knopfler signature
• Carved quilt or flame maple top with
mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood
fingerboard.
• 12" fingerboard radius, 25 1/2" scale length,
22 frets
• Schaller floyd rose tremolo.
• EMG SA SA 89 pickups.
• Volume, tone and 5-way selector switch.
• Gotoh tuners and gold hardware is standard.
• The MK 1 is available with or without neck and
body binding in a variety of hard gloss finishes

ahh... behold the beauty!

#13 ·
vaijem777 said:
The Mark Knopfler Pensa-Suhr is no longer available (hasn't been for awhile).

You could probably get a similar guitar, but...not a Knopfler sig. model (unless you find one used).
That pic is a Pensa...appears to be still available (a couple in stock) at Rudy's Music)...

http://www.pensaguitars.com/mk_model.htm

I believe the "Pensa-Suhr" was the 80s version when that latter still worked for the former?
Greg

#16 ·
gkelm said:
vaijem777 said:
The Mark Knopfler Pensa-Suhr is no longer available (hasn't been for awhile).

You could probably get a similar guitar, but...not a Knopfler sig. model (unless you find one used).
That pic is a Pensa...appears to be still available (a couple in stock) at Rudy's Music)...

http://www.pensaguitars.com/mk_model.htm

I believe the "Pensa-Suhr" was the 80s version when that latter still worked for the former?
Greg
Yup, you can also see a list of retail prices for all pensa MK models in Pensa web site. i think u can even order it through pensa web site but im not sure

#21 ·
Polaris20 said:
vaijem777 said:
Ahhhh...I wasn't aware tha Mr. Pensa was still making guitars! I know that Suhr is (Reb Beach model, etc.) so I'd gravitated towards that site.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/suhroptions.htm

Good to know though! :)
Nice guitars, but that has to be the crappiest website I've ever seen for someone selling stuff that expensive.
Ah yes, but you're not buying a website. ;) Take a look at this eye candy...

http://www.suhrguitars.com/standards.htm

#22 ·
sanitarium said:
...that's like me saying "what's so special about that JEM...
actually i dont like Jems that much. i'm a less-is-more kind of guy, so just give me a plank of wood with a good pickup on and i'll be happy.

but the matter is:
Fender has many endorsees, each of them has his own signature model, but they all look the same (except for the Tom DeLonge model). the only different things are the neck dimensions (which can not be seen by eye) and, maybe, the pickups (which look all the same except for a few models, but anyway they won't change the guitar look that much).

at the contrary, Ibanez has many signature models for each one of his endorsees, and each model of the same endorsee looks different from another (VWH/DBK or Chromeboy/Crystal Planet).
you may like it or not, but that's not boring at all.

#25 ·
Well, Mark's signature model has only been advertised in France this summer. No signature model has already been seen in shops and no test have been performed in guitar magazine. France has again one train late :wink:. The Pensa models of Mark can be found but with high prices (around 4500 Euros 8O). This makes them collectible don't you think Rich ? :wink:

As to Eric , there has been no signatrure model. As far as I remember Eric plays Fender Strat and Gibson 335 what is rather incompatible with an endorsee situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.