Mass String Breakage - Help! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Mass String Breakage - Help!

My MusicMan Axis is just two months old, and although it started out great, lately I've been breaking strings left and right. I'm going through string sets like crazy, breaking as many as three within one day! It's not an everyday thing, but I am breaking strings more than I'd like to. It's driving me nuts because this is my main axe and I'd like to play it without worrying about breaking strings. I also noticed that they always break at the saddle.

Jay Ratkowski suggested it might be burrs or something on the saddles, but I looked and to the naked eye there's nothing out of the ordinary.

Any suggestions? :idunno:

-Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 05:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Mass String Breakage

Does the same string break each each time? High-E or B? This has been widely discussed in the forum so do a search for more.

If it's two months old i'd have it repaired/checked under warranty. If you don't want to do that i'd investigate the saddle next... glen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Mass String Breakage

No, believe it or not, it's all random. There are some times when I've replaced a relatively new (maybe 1 1/2 weeks old) set with brand new strings over a period of two days!

I'll do a search. I apologize that I didn't before I started the thread; I was just a little frustrated - I've broken three strings today, within a 30-minute span...

As for the warranty, umm... I got it at Guitar Center (good deal by the way, $800 dead mint), can I still get it checked?

-Justin

EDIT: By the way, this is the std. MusicMan trem, not a Floyd Rose.

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 5:45 pm on Aug. 27, 2001)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:59 AM

Reviews: 5
Mass String Breakage

if you notice it on specific strings it could be a burr in the saddle. *In which case you'd be advised to try and file the string path smooth. *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:50 PM

Mass String Breakage

Graphite saddles?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:49 PM

Mass String Breakage

Stop using a pointy rock as a pick. *Works everytime.

Tags
floyd rose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode