maverick guitars rock!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

maverick guitars rock!!

new 2nd guitarist in my band has a maverick F-1, i tried it out and its awesome!!! those control layouts whick look a bit weird are such an improvement over the traditional layout!! they have the volume pot kinda sideways and its so much more usable whilst playing u wont believe!!
if i got one i would recommend swapping the pickups but besides that theyre well good!! worth a tryout!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 PM

Re: maverick guitars rock!!

They're pretty sweet. I was looking for RG style hardtail guitars and a Maverick hardtail caught my eye. I loved it but this idiot kid who was working as a sales assistant kept trying to persuade me to this Jackson floyd rose, despite the fact that I specified I wanted a hardtail. The jackson was nice but the kid just didn't listen. I could have done a better job than him but it's still these types that get the jobs and not me!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Maverick is a pristine example of how easily a guitar manafacture can outperform ibanez, imo the mavericks so much nicer than an equivelant rg!ive got a x-dtox serial no: 0000008 :-) and thats brilliant! i must say i think id get an f-1 over an ibanez generally, more unique, but the first series are better, ribbed tremelo and pickup selector, try and lokk for an f or x xtreme stunning guitar!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've found that the control layout was gimmicky and not as easy to use on the fly as the conventional layout. I found the trems a little too unstable as well.

Having said that I've only tried them in store, but they weren't good enough to warrant a purchase to really try one out.

I'd say defiantely get an older RG550 or 570 over a Maverick any day.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Is it just me or have Maverick prices gone sharply up?

I was going to get one as a backup, but then I saw the price of £499

I SWEAR they wern't that much a year ago.

Grrrr

~M
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
I'd say defiantely get an older RG550 or 570 over a Maverick any day.
+1
I have never really "dug" the looks of the Maverick's either. And that stupid control knob system just annoys me to hell. I would rather save a bit of money and get a used RG550 or something as you say.

And Mylo, no its not you. I do believe that the price have been going up recently. I have noticed them around.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:49 AM

I had a couple of maverick customs....good guitars for the price i would say tho there are a few minor gripes, i did realy like one of them.

Second hand they can come very very cheap also.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:56 AM
dex

Maverick got many things wrong and I'm genuinly surprised they are still in business.
First they introduced a pointy guitar when all guitar manifacturers who relied on pointy guitars got in trouble as no one was buying them anymore.
Established companies like Jackson, Hamer, Kramer, BC Rich and even the mighty ESP were struggling to sell anything and even moving production to Korea didn't help them much and what do Maverick do?........
They enter a struggling market with a design so radical - it reduces even further the appeal of the product and then they get the guitars made in Korea, effectively competing with the budget line of every guitar company out there......
...they use generic hardware like everyone else........
But here's the kicker....are you ready for it???........
They price their guitars about £200 more than the corresponding LTD/Jackson/Ibanez

Decent guitars but they should be priced below RG350/DK2/Californian/Diablo/M300 to get anywhere.
Product differentiation (less pointy models) and getting someone famous to play them will also do them good.

ilia
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:46 AM

Reviews: 34

I played one in my local guitar shop and I have to say that I felt very disappointed. I don't normally have strong adverse reactions to guitars, but I definately did not like what I played.

It felt cheap, the neck felt horrible (similar to a bad Korean RG), and to cap it all it had a rubbish floyd. I know why they fit them, but somebody in their company must play the guitar, and have a clue that they are bad. The crushing thing is that in reviews there is no differentiation between a schaller/edge, and these cheaper alternatives. All the reviews I read said something along the lines of "a floyd rose tremolo for stable tuning and whammy abuse",

I played a Mania guitar on the same day. 5 piece lamintaed thru-neck, abalone fret markers, played beautifully and cost half the price. Again a rubbish floyd, but I would (and fully intend to) throw that away, shove in a schaller and have an awesome guitar for less than £450. I don't think that I could do the same with a Maverick

I do admire Maverick for making interesting pointy guitars, and their control layout is innovative. They are not a bad company, I was just really disappointed with their product.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 AM

What kind of Floyd are the using in their F-1? I took a look at their webpage but I couldn't identify it.

Regards

André

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 PM

I've got to disagree with some of the posts here, as I played a Maverick F1 this morning and can hosetly say it was amazing.
The neck was wide and fast, with a gorgeous finish. The trem, which seems to be getting some abuse here, worked perfectly and was one of the best floyds I've played.
As for the controls, seeing as this is a site aimed at fans of Ibanez, a brand name synonymous with radical and innovative designs, I'd have thought it would generate a bit more support, especially given the practical advantages of the design.
Having worked in a guitar shop I can say that this guitar, in comparision to the likes of Ibanez/Jackson, more than holds its own. And as for the comment on their pricing I've yet to play a guitar as good as this within the £500 range.
Obviously a guitar is a very personal choice but I'd urge players to give Maverick a try because they really are something special.
Oh and for Fettouhi's sake the trem is a Maverick Lo-pro 1, licensed by floyd rose.
Cheers!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 AM

On the issue of prices; Maverick Guitars has had the first price increase in 5 years. Price fluctuation is down to the shops and not Maverick Guitars.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 AM

I've never played one myself, but have always wanted to. I have heard some really good things about them over the last few years. I dont know if the newer models are any good though. Playability wise they are meant to be very nice guitars all-round.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 10:14 AM

There amazing in my opinion, especially the F1.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-01-2006, 12:39 PM

I ended up getting a custom F-1 after trying out countless Ibz's/esp's/other pointy stuff. You can check it out here http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50936
theres also a video of it in action in the youtube thread in off-topic. About page four I think.

Tags
floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , fret markers , guitar shop , local guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode