This may be the coolest thing ever!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Talking This may be the coolest thing ever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxzJFTM9og

After some research it should be available this month(July) and be around $500

I am gonna get me one as soon as I can!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:41 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: This may be the coolest thing ever!!!

Yeah, I can tune my own guitar, set my intonation, get the right string gauge for low tunings/staying in tune with them and press with the right amount of pressure. I trained my fingers, mind and ears very hard and for a very long time to have that ability.

I think this is a product for beginners and studio's who might be recording beginners. That's it. No, I take that back. If beginners get one, they'll never learn to tune their guitar. No one should get this product. Tune your own damn guitar.

Rant over.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Um, not really. Its a product for studios who would dearly love the chance to make a guitar have perfect intonation, which thanks to the laws of physics is currently impossible.

It will be co-opted as a replacement for skill in due time, by beginners and studios who might be recording beginners.

The only valid place for this technology is in a studio, where it has an actual use and performs a function that until now nothing has been able to, by intonating guitars perfectly. We'll have to wait and see how many people abuse it as a talent replacement however.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM

That's the problem, EVERYONE will abuse its existance. Depending on the price anyway (didn't look it up).

I will stick to locking tuners, proper scale length and the right gauge strings. The intonation may not be perfect, but it's way too close for most people to hear.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
That's the problem, EVERYONE will abuse its existance. Depending on the price anyway (didn't look it up).

I will stick to locking tuners, proper scale length and the right gauge strings. The intonation may not be perfect, but it's way too close for most people to hear.
Maybe it is, and honestly, I don't mind current compromises on intonation one bit, but I'm just saying, this tool has potential to NOT be bad news. Don't kill it before its had a chance to be good or bad. Guitar players have been doing that since the 50s already, and its not been any better to stick with those designs, than it has been to try new ones, has it?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM

I'm pretty much with Damien on this one. A perfectly in-tune guitar would actually sound bad.... well, it would at least fade into the mix... it would sound flat (not tuning wise).
As brought up in another thread on this product (and also fact), Pianos are intentionally tempered slightly out of tune.

If the studio doesn't have a strobe tuner or even the means to correct tuning in post-processing, then you really don't want to be involved in that establishment.

As far as the player goes: Crutches = bad. I'm not at all everybody should play a tele , and I'm not saying effects are bad.... I am saying, if it crutches or stilts the playing field, I do not recommend it.

I can see the potential for this thread to get ugly.

OT Edit: Look at the bottom of this page it the "Similar threads", 3 out of 5 were started by Ibanezcollector.... He's one of our 'coolest' members!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
I'm pretty much with Damien on this one. A perfectly in-tune guitar would actually sound bad.... well, it would at least fade into the mix... it would sound flat (not tuning wise).
As brought up in another thread on this product (and also fact), Pianos are intentionally tempered slightly out of tune.

If the studio doesn't have a strobe tuner or even the means to correct tuning in post-processing, then you really don't want to be involved in that establishment.

As far as the player goes: Crutches = bad. I'm not at all everybody should play a tele , and I'm not saying effects are bad.... I am saying, if it crutches or stilts the playing field, I do not recommend it.

I can see the potential for this thread to get ugly.
Um, Pianos are tempered slightly out of tune because there is no perfect compromise between pythagorean tuning and the various systems of temperament that we use today.

Its not really anything to do with it being better, its just that if you follow a harmonic series upwards, its out of tune with itself. A piano tuner HAS to stretch the intervals just so, in order to achieve octaves that are actually octaves...

And even so, this has the potential to do that on the fly, and in any temperament. You could achieve a guitar that would, with a push of a button, remain in tune with either a violinist, a Piano, another guitar, a synthesiser, or even a historical recording of a Bach quartet. You're not tied down to one supposedly perfect temperament, you're simply capable of making the guitar fit in with the temperaments of other classes of instruments, be they equal tempered, well tempered, or even pythagorean.

Not convinced that a perfectly tuned guitar would sound bad in a mix either, I must say. Until now, the world has never heard such a thing, so lets reserve judgement, shall we?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

It's a nifty produduct. But, I'm with the others on this one---guns don't kill, people do...lol.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM

I must say I like the idea, but I would prefer if it was not done by electronics. I guess that is the conservative guitarist speaking.

Would this be possible to get in a pedal? All you need is a piezo or hexaphonic pickup, I think this would go better with old guitars that has a special sound, but due to construction failure they are impossible to tune properly. This would be an easy fix. How much does this color the sound?

So far I'm still more for the TT frets. In general I want to play electric guitar, not electronic guitar. But as GB says, it can still be something great. All it takes is for someone to put it to good use.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: This may be the coolest thing ever!!!

Damn D.M you sound pretty hostile. What difference does it make to you if beginners don't know how to tune? They will figure out soon enough they need to know. As for me, I have been playing for 20-odd years so i know how to tune. I think it would be nice to not have to after every song or 3, plus you totally overlooked the fact that you could change tunings in the middle of a song. Could take song writing to a whole new place.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I must say I like the idea, but I would prefer if it was not done by electronics. I guess that is the conservative guitarist speaking.

Would this be possible to get in a pedal? All you need is a piezo or hexaphonic pickup, I think this would go better with old guitars that has a special sound, but due to construction failure they are impossible to tune properly. This would be an easy fix. How much does this color the sound?

So far I'm still more for the TT frets. In general I want to play electric guitar, not electronic guitar. But as GB says, it can still be something great. All it takes is for someone to put it to good use.
I don't think it would be possible to do what this does without digital processing. Besides which, digital processing isn't a bad thing. Digital processing done badly is a bad thing.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Reviews: 2

I think there a good argument for both sides of this. This is a tool that could ABSOLUTELY be used as a crutch for players that don't/can't improve their technique or tuning prowess, BUT (as GB said) this is also a new tool that could inspire a new type of creativity. I think both will probably be seen.

For me, I would like the ability to stay in tune with the few digital instruments that I like to record with (keys, piano, synth voices/strings). The fact of the matter is that, while I should force myself to improve my technique, I have 45 year, highly abused, fingers and wrists. Is there a reason that I shouldn't be able to make my recordings even better using a tool that corrects what I physically cannot?? Maybe-maybe not....... The question also exists; is it actually better because the tuning is more accurate? there is the possibility of songs losing my personal sound/tone as well(inaccuracies in playing that become a part of your sound). I think the jury is still out on this subject......time will tell.

Don't ever forget that a crutch can help a disabled person become mobile again........
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I don't think it would be possible to do what this does without digital processing. Besides which, digital processing isn't a bad thing. Digital processing done badly is a bad thing.
The downtuning and alternative tunings can't be done, but TT is not far off on the intonation bit. And I agree that digital processing can be good, I just don't want it inside my guitar. In a rack, yes that's fine.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
The downtuning and alternative tunings can't be done, but TT is not far off on the intonation bit. And I agree that digital processing can be good, I just don't want it inside my guitar. In a rack, yes that's fine.
TT can't compensate quickly and seamlessly for different temperaments though. You'd need as many different necks as there are temperament options in this digital product, and the time and patience to keep swapping them onto the guitar, wearing out threads in the process and doing the guitar no good at all.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputersa View Post
Damn D.M you sound pretty hostile. What difference does it make to you if beginners don't know how to tune? They will figure out soon enough they need to know.
I didn't read the rest of your post after this because I didn't care about what you have to say

Here is my response to what I DID read;

1. You have no idea the way I was meaning for that to sound. It's not hostile, it's a strong opinion

2. How will they learn to tune if the guitar does it for them?

Tags
auto-tune , peavey at-200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode