Mayones vs Carvin Kiesel Custom? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mayones vs Carvin Kiesel Custom?

What are your thoughts on these two custom shops? By Carvin Kiesel I mean the new custom guitars built by Jeff Kiesel. Just looking for general opinions/experiences on either, but I have do two specific questions:

1. What are the neck profiles like?

2. What floating bridges do they use? I'm not the biggest fan of the original Floyd Rose, but Gotoh Floyd Roses I like.

Cheers,

Craig

Edit: Let's throw Suhr into this comparison - I've heard their custom shop jobs are great...

Last edited by Craig_Shaft; 05-12-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:41 PM

Re: Mayones vs Carvin Kiesel Custom?

Do you mean the general kiesel/carvin or the new guitars built by Jeff Kiesel?
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have been more specific! I mean the new custom builds made by/finished by Jeff Kiesel. I'll edit the original post.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Shaft View Post
What are your thoughts on these two custom shops? By Carvin Kiesel I mean the new custom guitars built by Jeff Kiesel. Just looking for general opinions/experiences on either, but I have do two specific questions:

2. What floating bridges do they use? I'm not the biggest fan of the original Floyd Rose, but Gotoh Floyd Roses I like.

Cheers,

Craig
They use the German-made (Schaller) Floyd bridges on the 6-strings, and Korean-made Floyds on the 7-strings.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have been more specific! I mean the new custom builds made by/finished by Jeff Kiesel. I'll edit the original post.
A few of my friends said that the ones done by Jeff Kiesel were absolutely amazing.

I owned a ton of Mayones including a few made for endorsers (just sold one of peripherys) and they are fantastic instruments too.

I have one of the Kiesels en route, so I can let you know what that's like when its done.

Personally, I feel like Mayones is kind of expensive now.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Interesting stuff. I've spent a fair amount on new J Customs, one a limited run and another from a line who's finishes were unique on every guitar - and I love that kind of thing. But I've always loved the idea of a true custom build, so I'm just browsing the market to see who's customs are considered the best, and which have specs that suit me best. The stained fretboards by Kiesel look amazing...
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've not tried a Mayones for a long time, so we're going back a few years now, but I wasn't really that impressed by them, I know a lot of the 'djent crowd' love the, though.

Carving are rare beasts over here so 'no comment'.

I've never tried a Suhr that was less than perfectly made, but I've never found one that immediately made me think I need to buy it either. I think that might in part be due to the millions of spec option combos they offer.

Of the three you mention my money would probably go to Suhr
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Cheers,

Craig

Edit: Let's throw Suhr into this comparison - I've heard their custom shop jobs are great...
Okay, I can speak to the Kiesel editions:

The Kiesel editions are basically standard carvin guitars (i.e. DC600 etc) that are blinging out with some insane woods and options. IIRC, a Kiesel edition is any model +$2000 bucks, and that's just the starting price.

Carvin uses the German OFR (Korean 1000 series for 7 strings).

the neck profiles are selectable, between the standard thickness, thinner neck profile (as seen on the JB200), and a thicker neck profile for those people who like baseball bats The thinner profile is probably closest to the Ibanez Ultra wizard that was on the old 540Rs, it's thin, but not so thin that it's anywhere near an old 80s or 90s Original Wizard neck. Personally, I prefer the Carvin thin profile over the Wizard. That little extra meat is nice.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:22 PM

You can option 50 any neck size you want.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM

I would go Carvin/Kiesel of those three. The Suhrs are lovely, but to me they feel like they were made for someone else. That's how I feel about J Customs as well. I haven't played a Mayonees, so take that into account.

I just picked up a Jackson SL1, and frankly it is so ridiculously good I can't really imagine anything being better, just different. Not as many options as Carvin, but that doesn't alter the fact the guitar itself is superb.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Keisel is the new "flavor of the month" amongst the djent set, and Mayones is the previous "flavor of the month" in the same crew. Never played a Mayones, so I can't speak firsthand, but word is the more recent guitars are pretty well made. I've played a whole bunch of Carvins, and they're pretty hit or miss. They tend to be awfully bright, but a mahogany necked, mahogany bodied Carvin singlecut 6 a buddy of mine owns was a stellar guitar, though to be fair I don't think I ever heard it with the stock pickups.

My advice? Figure out what you're looking for spec-wise, and then play a whole bunch of guitars until you find one with a neck carve you like. Then, order one with the specs you want and that neck carve. That's why I ended up with a Suhr Modern 7 - their neck profile, for me, felt immediately like home (it's basically a modern Strat with an extra string).
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Keisel is the new "flavor of the month" amongst the djent set, and Mayones is the previous "flavor of the month" in the same crew. Never played a Mayones, so I can't speak firsthand, but word is the more recent guitars are pretty well made. I've played a whole bunch of Carvins, and they're pretty hit or miss. They tend to be awfully bright, but a mahogany necked, mahogany bodied Carvin singlecut 6 a buddy of mine owns was a stellar guitar, though to be fair I don't think I ever heard it with the stock pickups.

My advice? Figure out what you're looking for spec-wise, and then play a whole bunch of guitars until you find one with a neck carve you like. Then, order one with the specs you want and that neck carve. That's why I ended up with a Suhr Modern 7 - their neck profile, for me, felt immediately like home (it's basically a modern Strat with an extra string).
My JB200 is alder body with LOTS of flame maple. Should be the brightest guitar ever, but it's not that bad actually. I like it a lot.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Do you have the all maple neck on the JB200, or is it one of the 5 piece jobs with mahogany or something warmer in it? the really bright ones tend to be 'all maple' neck throughs I've found.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Do you have the all maple neck on the JB200, or is it one of the 5 piece jobs with mahogany or something warmer in it? the really bright ones tend to be 'all maple' neck throughs I've found.
I have a 5 piece maple neck with mahogany stripes
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 04:10 PM

I think the mahogany calms down a bit of that ice pick brightness you'll find in every 15 year old (or so) DC400. Good call on the mahogany

Tags
carvin , custom , electric , kiesel , mayones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode