Meshuggah 8 string Ibanez - Page 4 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
Galbraith's tuning is A-E-A-D-G-B-E-A and his low A can be tuned up as high as C.
and his double cd of the bach partitias & sonatas is fantastic. part of it's the material he's playing , but still.
I'm certainly not any kind of authority on classical gutar, but he sure blows me away. His power and dynamics are just unbelievable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:21 PM

wait, doesnt meshuggah play one of those weird swedish 8 strings?
post #48 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:10 PM

Looks like a baritone as well, what with the bridge being that far back, well, it would kind of have to be, wouldn't it?

Looks awesome

I can just about fit my hands on a 7, so an 8 may be pushing it a bit too much
post #49 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkthesick
The Nevborns? I dunno if they still use them. I'm sure they still have them Probably just preferred Ibanez's look/feel/something that made them come back to them fully.

Oh, and Those are beautiful
post #50 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of Actual Time
Quote:
Galbraith's tuning is A-E-A-D-G-B-E-A and his low A can be tuned up as high as C.
and his double cd of the bach partitias & sonatas is fantastic. part of it's the material he's playing , but still.
I'm certainly not any kind of authority on classical gutar, but he sure blows me away. His power and dynamics are just unbelievable.
He came in a did a workshop with us when I was studying classical guitar at college. He tended to have his 8th string tuned to C for the most part (he talked extensively about his guitar and playing style), and he played a lot of Bach material. He was awesome, and a fantastic guy. (Obviously, we were all humming about that 8-string guitar!)

By the way, he plays his guitar UPRIGHT, like a cello. He uses an aluminum rod, attached to the bottom of his guitar, which attaches to a soundbox thing that he made, and places his feet on. It's VERY strange to see. The guitar neck rests on his shoulder, very similar to cello style.
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkthesick
The Nevborns? I dunno if they still use them. I'm sure they still have them Probably just preferred Ibanez's look/feel/something that made them come back to them fully.

Oh, and Those are beautiful
Apparently the Nevborns had sever tuning problems linked to climatic change as they weren't sealed, and the necks started to go weird, this is at least what I heard regarding them of a guitar tech last summer at ozzfest.
post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 03:36 PM

The Nevbons were raw wood?

Yeah, that combined with 8 strings, I can see that being a problem, especially for touring.
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 06:39 AM
dex

Man alive so the rumour turned out to be true.
I was probably the most sceptical person about Ibanez building 8 stringers because it's been talked about since 2002 and nothing has materialised for good 2 years.
Then Rusty Cooley said that he asked Ibanez for an 8 stringer and they flat out refused to make him one...and then people who might know more like Butch, Andy, Rich and Glen have never participated in these threads so I figured - urban legend.
Turns out I was wrong.

Still - for those of you who think that this is a great idea, getting in touch with Jeremy/Eddie and Nevborn for pickups will get you a very similar guitar much quicker and cheaper than waiting for one of those to show up on ebay.
The only custom things you might need are a bridge baseplate and locking nut plate which wouldn't cost that much to make either.

ilia
post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 12:56 PM

Actually the bridge would probably take a bit more work than that.

And the pickups are made by Lundgren (assuming they're using the same pickups) not Nevborn.
post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 05:25 PM

Yes, they use Lundgrens in the Ibanez 8s as well.

And maybe they refused to make Cooley one because they actually have discriminating musical taste?
post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 05:59 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Actually the bridge would probably take a bit more work than that.
Jeremy's a machinist by trade - he'll make you both parts (or organise for them to be made) with ease and then all you need is edge/lo pro bits from Rich and to nail it to the body like this brazilian dude did (can't remember his name but he had a custom 7 with edge-turned-fixed bridge on it.) and you are good to go.
So $1500 and a bit of patience will get you a veeeeeerryyy similar guitar.

ilia
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
Yes, they use Lundgrens in the Ibanez 8s as well.

And maybe they refused to make Cooley one because they actually have discriminating musical taste?
I Would have thought the other way around, seeing some of the people they endorse...

Either way, its probably cause meshugga sells more CDs.
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 06:02 PM

the guitar is absolutely fantastic !!!

I want one !!
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 10:30 AM

Mmm. Haven't seen this thread in a while, and I'd forgotten how SERIOUSLY attractive those guitars are... and I don't even like black guitars, lol.

-D
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend

Tags
body shape , clean tone , custom shop , dino cazares , edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , floyd rose , floyd trem , fredrik thordendal , guitar tech , locking nut , rusty cooley , string bridge , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode