Meshuggah Tunnings - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Meshuggah Tunnings

What tunnings do Meshuggah use on their 7 and 8 string guitars because im thinking of getting a barritone 7-string and tunning it down to the tunning of a 8. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 02:31 PM

Um, it depends... What's a "Tunning?"

Try F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb. That's the tuning (one "n" ) that they used for most of "Nothing," although on a few songs i think they went down as far as an octave below a standard 7. The last track, for one...

And i heard it was cut on standard 7's tuned down, rather than their 8's, because they hadn't resolved some tuning stability issues when they went into the studio. Anyway, i hear they're just touring with the 7's for now...

-Drew
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Um, it depends... What's a "Tunning?"

Try F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb. That's the tuning (one "n" ) that they used for most of "Nothing," although on a few songs i think they went down as far as an octave below a standard 7. The last track, for one...

And i heard it was cut on standard 7's tuned down, rather than their 8's, because they hadn't resolved some tuning stability issues when they went into the studio. Anyway, i hear they're just touring with the 7's for now...

-Drew
You are 95% correct. but when I saw them with Tool about 6 months ago, there were using the 8-strings for all the "Nothing" songs. I will see Meshuggah again on 4/25 in Seattle with Strapping Young Lad. I'll give review & let you know what they used.

7 string tuning: Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb
8 string tuning: F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb (70-80% of the Nothing CD, Additional 1/2 step down for 20-30% of the Nothing CD

Chud, I did tune a 7-string down to F recently using 14-68 gauge strings. It was cool for a while, but it wasn't a very practical tuning for me. I highly recommend doing this tuning on a fixed bridged 7-string. See my post "Extreme downtunings" on this forum.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
I will see Meshuggah again on 4/25 in Seattle with Strapping Young Lad.
I'll most likely be at the show in Portland the day after. I was going to try to go to the Seattle show but Mudvayne is here in the 25th and I got to see them again!

Oh yeah, I should also add(to keep it on topic) that I do sort of a compromise tuning on one of my 7 strings
F C F A# D# G C with about a .065 through .011. I block the trem. A fixed bridge is just a little to unstable for me with that low of a tuning. It helps to have everything locked down.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 03:23 AM

Let me add my two cents.
I tune my 7 (RG2027 with Double Edge Lo Pro Edge trem) to

eb
bg
gb
dg
Ab
Db
Gb

I use 4 trem springs, use .10-.60 gauge Blue Steel strings, and I don't block my trem. Very stable... almost like a fixed bridge. Just a property of the Ibanez? I don't know, but I get full trem use and perfect tuning stability.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 05:53 PM

Posted by revsharp777
Quote:
there were using the 8-strings for all the "Nothing" songs.
Are you sure they were 8 strings and not the 7 string nevborns that meshuggah has been using to play "Nothing" live ? What did the guitars look like?

I also noticed that a couple of the songs from "Nothing" go lower than low F. Obviously "Spasm" is tuned like a step or two lower than a 5-string bass.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Not too sure about sticking .68 gauge Strings on my 7-string cause i asked for a .60 at my local guitar shop and they found only a .58

These tunnings seem pretty low down and classy so i recon ill get a cheap ass 7-string Ibanez and tune down to that cause i dont feel like setting up a Lo Pro!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
Not too sure about sticking .68 gauge Strings on my 7-string cause i asked for a .60 at my local guitar shop and they found only a .58

These tunnings seem pretty low down and classy so i recon ill get a cheap ass 7-string Ibanez and tune down to that cause i dont feel like setting up a Lo Pro!
Same deal at my local shop, nothing above a .58 (I was looking for a .60) in guitar strings, but you could try a bass string It'll work just fine on a hardtail, which is what I'd recommend, cuz a Lo-Pro would be brutal to set up for that
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana

Are you sure they were 8 strings and not the 7 string nevborns that meshuggah has been using to play "Nothing" live ? What did the guitars look like?

I also noticed that a couple of the songs from "Nothing" go lower than low F. Obviously "Spasm" is tuned like a step or two lower than a 5-string bass.
I should clarify. Fredrik used an 8-string (he's the lead player), Marten used a 7-string. Both were Nevborns. Same everything, just 1 added string.

As I stated before, most of the songs are in F, with the exception of a couple that are in E.

The .68 was part of a Danelectro baritone guitar string set. If all else fails, you can buy them separately at JustStrings.com
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 02:09 AM

Two Hands and Chud...
http://www.juststrings.com
It's where I get my strings. Same problem here as for you guys, but with juststrings, you can get what you want. They're prompt and secure, too.

I use Dean Markley Blue Steel LTHB .10-.60 strings. From, juststrings.com, of course!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
Two Hands and Chud...
http://www.juststrings.com
It's where I get my strings. Same problem here as for you guys, but with juststrings, you can get what you want. They're prompt and secure, too.

I use Dean Markley Blue Steel LTHB .10-.60 strings. From, juststrings.com, of course!
Hmm...sounds good...I may have to order a bunch sometime...
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:08 PM

revsharp777, could tell me where you get the meshuggah tickets, and how much were they pls???
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 04:36 AM

Meshuggah just received their 8 strings this week. Previously they only had 1 prototype 8-string with a fixed bridge. revsharp777: you are incorrect. For the "Nothing" songs live, both Fredrik and Mårten used 7-string Nevborn guitars.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:13 AM

Contra, where did you hear that the 8-strings have been completed? Do you know any specs on the guitars?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 11:39 AM

i saw Meshuggah last night in Falls Church VA. they were very impressive, playing 4-5 songs from the new record, a couple from Chaosphere, one from None and two from DEI.

Marten played a flat black or really dark gray 8 string Nevborn on the new tunes, but Frederick played a detuned Ibanez 7. they both played Ibanezes on all the old stuff. the bass player used several 4 strings, i was surprised he didn't have at least a 5. he really needs it, there's so little room in the low end that he should go high more often.

all in all it was a great show.

Tags
baritone guitar , dean markley , dean markley blue , dean markley blue steel , edge trem , fixed bridge , gauge strings , guitar shop , local guitar shop , markley blue steel , pro edge , pro edge trem , steel strings , strapping young lad , string bass , string guitars , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode