Mexico Strat vs Squier Strat - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Mexico Strat vs Squier Strat

As the title said.

What and there any differences between a Mexico Strat or Squier ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 PM

Re: Mexico Strat vs Squier Strat

I don't know about the mexico strat but the squier are crap ... My Squier have to undergo a series of mod to make it playable
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:44 PM

Mexican strats are one of the best guitars for the money in my opinion.
Squiers are absolute garbage, but they are made to be cheap.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 PM

I hear the Mexican Strats are very close in quality to the American ones ... at a very good price indeed. Sort of like cheap production of a quality guitar vs. cheap production of a cheap guitar.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 12:52 AM

I used to work at a fender dealer and fender gave us a booklet comparing US to Mexi guitars, basically the Mexis were made using US parts, just assebled and painted in Mexico, the did have different bridges and pickups though, same knobs and switches.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 AM

I have a Squire strat and you pretty much need to replace ALL the electronics, the tuners, and the nut. Then you have a decent guitar, as long as you pick one with a good neck and fret job etc. Since I had spare pickups and pots lying around... $25 for tuners, $10 for a graphite nut. On a $90 guitar. Hard to beat that price.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:46 AM

Luckily I own one of the most expensive Mex Strats (Classic 50s). The tone is sweet and the playability is awesome. The only reissue that beats them are the Japanese Reissues and the original American Reissues. Squier? No thanks. I haven't played one, but when some kid played it in a guitar store, the feedback and tone was horrible.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 06:57 AM

Yeah. Mexican Strats are 100 times better than Squier. Classic 50's, 60's and 70's are fantastic guitars. Great neck, look, feel, tone and everything. One of the best Fenders. Thats one of the reasons why I like Fender so much.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Just noticed its in the post is in the wrong place. Please move Glen. My apologies.

Thanks for the answers guys.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 AM

The only thing I really didn't like about the mex strat I had was the very small "vintage" frets, compared to the slightly chunkier ones on a US standard. That said the mex was a 1995, so things may have changed. Great guitars though.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
Mexican strats are one of the best guitars for the money in my opinion.
Squiers are absolute garbage, but they are made to be cheap.
Agreed. I have a white one with a maple fretboard and it sounds great and well performing guitar. I love it.

pics-
http://www.shawncastonguay.homestead.com
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Reviews: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj
As the title said.

What and there any differences between a Mexico Strat or Squier ??
The differences are pretty significant. The Mexican Strat you can buy now is basically the same guitar buddy holly or Stevie Ray played. It's got the standard strat body, thick fender neck, traditional tremelo and single coils.

On a Squier, you're getting sub-par woods, fretwork and hardware.

Plus, the Fender will have a lot better resale value than the Squier. The name matters when it comes to selling.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
I hear the Mexican Strats are very close in quality to the American ones ... at a very good price indeed. Sort of like cheap production of a quality guitar vs. cheap production of a cheap guitar.
I keep hearing that everywhere that the Mexican strats are of very very good quality almost as good as the americans, maybe I should pick one. I've been longing for a strat for quite some time now.

Regards

André

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:39 PM

I think that most Fenders are of a good quality to be honest. All the ones that I have tried, I have loved. Althought saying that, I prefer Fender Strat's to any Ibanez nowadays. I prefer the necks, the feel of the body etc....They just suit me much more.

I have finally been able to afford an Yngwie Strat, which is being delivered in person this Sunday. Cannot wait! Its a 2004/05 model in Vintage White, with a Rosewood board. Absolutely knockout!

I will post more pics of it when I actually get it. But here are some pictures that the previous owner (Darren) took of it. He comes on this forum actually, some of you probably know him. When I get it on Sunday, I will post a new Thread about it all, as well as a review of course!

http://www.picturetrail.com/the.godfather_ibanez
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:14 PM

Great! Can't wait to see more pics of your Yngwie strat.

Tags
fat strat , fender strat , graphite nut , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , mexican strat , rosewood board , scalloped fretboard , scalloped frets , squire strat , stevie ray , strat body , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode